• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Faux Stucco

Mosh

Seen a few signs that looked like stucco, but were metal signs with a stucco looking finish on them. Any ideas of how it is done. I have made stucco monument signs with concrete block and then stuccoed them, but this is just a thin finish.

cgsigns_jamie

We stucco aluminum all the time.... I'm not too involved in the manufacturing department so I don't know all the specifics/products used.

I do know that you have to use and etching primer so the stucco has something to "bite" into.

G-Artist

Somewhere in my travels I have come across a paint-type spray can that gives a stucco finish.

Find that stuff at arts and crafts stores and some home improvement places.

steve b

It's definitley not regular stucco. Try looking at synthetic stucco's and spray it on with a hopper.

steveb

SignManiac

Mosh you can buy latex based acrylic stucco finishes that you spray onto metal or foam monuments with a hopper gun and compressor. Dryvit is one manufacturer and there are others. It comes premixed in several different textures, the sand texture being the easiest to work with.

petrosgraphics

mosh
at a local napa auto parts store we got a spray can of textured paint.it is used
by auto body shops to spray lower side panels on trucks.... worked pretty good..
you can finish it in any color you want after you spray this on.....

steve b

Hey Mosh one more way to do it would be to screw on cement backer board (CBU) mostly used for floor tile underlayment. Prime that with acrylic mortar admix ( with a little sand mixed in) let it dry, then you could apply a regular stucco mix coat.
Good Luck with your project.

steveb

Wes Phifer

Yea what Sign Maniac said. It works great. Just blow it on with a hopper gun. Keep it thin and you will still be able to get retainers off etc.

Mosh

I found the dryvet, thanks. I am getting the equipment the first of the week. Bout $1,550 and I am in the stucco biz. Looks like the same as doing drywall texture.

Sign Prophet

STO coat makes a product that is sprayed on with a hopper. It is flexible and thin, way easier to apply than regular stucco and its lighter too.