• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC7000 Dead After Static Shock

SlamMan

One of our FC7000 plotters died yesterday after receiving a static shock from a user. I've been shocked plenty of times when touching the machine but until now it has always bounced back.

Any idea what exactly may have happened. Any possibility we could diagnose and fix the problem without a tech?

SlamMan

I figured as much but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do outside of calling in someone to fix it.

BobbyFosson

You might want to uplug it and take off the right cover to expose the mainboard... I think there is a glass fuse there somewhere... HOPEFULLY that is the issue. Test with and Ohm meter and if dead, replace.

Otherwise call Graphtec and see if there is a local authorized service center... if it popped and no wont come on, it is either fuse or board more than likely.

Keep us updated and best of luck.

I know nothing of how to trouble shoot anything that has to do with hardware, a vehicle isn't hard. But computer parts are a different story. Google it? I do that for even the smallest problems i cant figure out.

SlamMan

You might want to uplug it and take off the right cover to expose the mainboard... I think there is a glass fuse there somewhere... HOPEFULLY that is the issue. Test with and Ohm meter and if dead, replace.

Otherwise call Graphtec and see if there is a local authorized service center... if it popped and no wont come on, it is either fuse or board more than likely.

Keep us updated and best of luck.

I pulled off the left and right covers and unfortunately didn't see any obvious fuses. At least none of the kind of automotive and glass fuses I'm familiar with. I can take a pic if anyone is interested.

BobbyFosson

Found the following in my service notes - Break out the voltage meter

Attachments

• 7000_power.jpg
    7000_power.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 117

SlamMan

:U Rock:

Thanks for posting that. Here are the pics I took. I don't think we have a voltage meter here at the shop so I'll have to bring them from home tomorrow. I'll also have to read the manual for my meter because I'm not exactly sure how to use it, LOL.

Offsite Pic Replaced or removed Please Observe Our Photo Posting Rules

Attachments

• 2010-03-09 17.16.39.jpg
    2010-03-09 17.16.39.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 2010-03-09 17.16.58.jpg
    2010-03-09 17.16.58.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
What do you mean by died? Does the unit turn on and the screen just stays blank? This is normally what happens and the LCD display needs to be replaced.

SlamMan

It's like it's trying to turn on.

I flip the switch on and I can hear a "click" that comes from something on the power supply board and, at about the same time, the screen back light flashes on for a split second and then it's dead. This repeats about every 6 seconds. Click-flash, 6 second pause, click-flash, 6 second pause, click-flash, 6 second pause...

Compilla

It's like it's trying to turn on.

I flip the switch on and I can hear a "click" that comes from something on the power supply board and, at about the same time, the screen back light flashes on for a split second and then it's dead. This repeats about every 6 seconds. Click-flash, 6 second pause, click-flash, 6 second pause, click-flash, 6 second pause...

Any updates on this issue?

squidly

main board

What is the cost of a main board for a Graphtec FC7000-75? and can I replace it myself?

I'm in need of our machine bad.

Thank you.

Squidly

Dakotagrafx

What is the cost of a main board for a Graphtec FC7000-75? and can I replace it myself?

I'm in need of our machine bad.

Thank you.

Squidly

If I remember correctly the mainboard for a gx series is around 650.00 - so get out the wallet

you can only get them from a roland dealer - I know Advantage can get them

tbullo

Superunknown
We had this happen to one of our Graphtec cutters before. We gave Graphtec a call and they sent us a loaner machine until ours was repaired and sent back. This was more then five years ago, don't remember the price but it was worth it at the time for us.

Urq

Why are people getting shocked by there printers or cutters in this case?
I mean what are the conditions of where your stuff is located, is it supper dry in where you are?
I say this as I type this message from Southern California and I have never experienced this type of static electricity here!

omgsideburns

I've replaced a mainboard before. Graphtec will sell it to you but won't tell you how to install/etc.. Someone on here has the service manual and will send it out. I had the USB port fry on mine a while back and then other things started to go so I had to replace.

tbullo

Superunknown
Mostly the conditions here in VA during the winter months. We now out of habit touch a file cabinet on the way over to any of the machines. One of the worst shocks to get me was from sorting a pile of Rowmark engrave stock.