• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
Buy a Mimaki JFX 200 2513 at around $70k it's a great intro flatbed, not blazing fast but it will get the job done and quality is amazing. Never buy used, a new one comes with 2 year warranty, install software and training. Hire a dedicated operator that knows how to do finishing and packaging. I would sit in on the training were I you, be hands on and take lots of notes and ask lots of questions. Good luck!

Dangreenst

Hello!
Very excited to have found this forum. I manage a small in-house print shop for a large school system. We don't profit from our services, our goal is to breakeven year over year. I'm new to the print world, I stumbled across this opportunity and very happy I did. Over the past year or so, I've been doing a lot of outsourcing of signs, yard signs, magnetic etc..enough that I'm starting to look into getting a flatbed printer. I've talked to a couple sales reps and have spent hours researching, but I'm not getting the information that I need and I'm sure someone on here has already gathered the information I'm looking for.

So far I've been looking at the Xante X33 and Mimaki UJF-6042

1) Cost comparisons of different flatbed options.
2) Break down of average operating cost per sq ft
3) Break down of average maintenance cost (monthly or yearly)

Ultimately, I just want to see if it would be worth the investment to bring this work in-house.

I appreciate any feedback!
Tonya

Hi Tonya

Not sure if you made a purchase yet, but buying a decent used UV Flatbed / Roll to Roll Hybrid printer may be a good option for you. I have a Mimaki UJV 160 UV Printer available for $8500. Located in Valencia CA. Let me know if your interested.

IMG_20220119_145126.jpg

Langelot

Personally, I would not recommend buying any used large format printer and frankly I don't know of any service provider who would provide you with a service plan on a used machine, unless they themselves are selling said used/refurbished machine. The trick (as with any service contract) is having someone 100% knowledgeable on the equipment and, very importantly, someone who is local. Salespeople will swear up and down that it is the case, but the truth (as can be expected) is often a long way off. Research other people (locals) who are using said dealer/service provider and get their opinion on the service and the equipment. This will go hand in hand with determining whether to subcontract the work out or to purchase the equipment and bringing it in house.

For a flatbed, I would agree with the previous Mimaki JFX200-2513 (UV ink flatbed) recommendation.
Mimaki is a fine brand/manufacturer and is known to be better priced.

Full disclosure: I/we are vendors and service providers for both Mimaki and Roland wide format printers - in the northeast and throughout Florida - we don't have a dedicated salesforce, instead, technicians such as myself are also the sale force - if we recommend a machine, you can count on us actually believing what comes out of our mouths...

Best of luck!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Personally, I would not recommend buying any used large format printer and frankly I don't know of any service provider who would provide you with a service plan on a used machine, unless they themselves are selling said used/refurbished machine. The trick (as with any service contract) is having someone 100% knowledgeable on the equipment and, very importantly, someone who is local. Salespeople will swear up and down that it is the case, but the truth (as can be expected) is often a long way off. Research other people (locals) who are using said dealer/service provider and get their opinion on the service and the equipment. This will go hand in hand with determining whether to subcontract the work out or to purchase the equipment and bringing it in house.

For a flatbed, I would agree with the previous Mimaki JFX200-2513 (UV ink flatbed) recommendation.

Full disclosure: I/we are vendors and service providers for both Mimaki and Roland wide format printers - in the northeast and throughout Florida - we don't have a dedicated salesforce, instead, technicians such as myself are also the sale force - if we recommend a machine, you can count on us actually believing what comes out of our mouths...

Best of luck!
I know here in Aus, you can buy used from canon and they will give you a service plan. not sure about the rest.

ABA Visibility Products

Premium Subscriber

Best of luck!
Perhaps not in the markets you represent, but purchasing used equipment is a perfectly normal thing to do and it is very possible to have the manufacturer re-certify a piece of equipment and get it placed under a service contract. Best to ask the manufacturer directly regarding this.

We've successfully purchased several pieces of equipment brokered through Global Garage (www.globalgarage.com). The guys there have been very helpful and useful in these purchases.

Langelot

Hi Aba, we ourselves do refurbish used machines and resell them with a warranty, but my point was that it will be difficult if not impossible to buy a used wide-format ink based machine from one party and then get a service provider to sell you a service warranty on it without them being the seller of that machine in the first place.

When speaking about industrial-sized machines (as opposed to commercial ones), then, yes, I'm sure that you'll find someone to refurbish them on site and then sell you a service warranty on it as long as they have done the refurbishment themselves, but I think we are talking about somewhat different markets.

Personally, were I a business owner, particularly in Europe or North America, I would be willing to pay a bit more for a new (and current) unit which will come with at least a full year warranty from the manufacturer. I would then make sure that I can purchase an extended warranty from the service provider for a minimum of another year beyond that.

Additionally, many manufacturers run promotions where they will sell the machine with a free second (and even sometimes third) year warranty with the purchase of the machine.

Having a good service plan on any piece of equipment is like having good insurance coverage - it is part and parcel of your operating plan and expenses and will save you many headaches in the long run...

Cheers

greysquirrel

I think everyone's comments are based off of 5000 lawn signs per year. You do have other projects, no? If you are looking for a flatbed, have the space and power, maybe look for a used R1000. It will still run you 60-80K, but HP's tech support is pretty solid. The printer's interface is second to none and basically tells you when and how to perform any maintenance. HP will always put their products back under a service contract. I believe its $350 as long as it produces a print. Then its out of pocket to get to that point and then they will put it under contract. They also have a wide array of resources online for tis platform. Ive had one for 4 years now and the only thing its ever needed was a $175 sensor that I put in myself. HP is able to log in and diagnose your issues remotely. We also just added an EFI flatbed...she's gonna be expensive to keep happy. She offers a little more reaching a few different areas or else I would have put a R2000 instead.

netsol

I think everyone's comments are based off of 5000 lawn signs per year. You do have other projects, no? If you are looking for a flatbed, have the space and power, maybe look for a used R1000. It will still run you 60-80K, but HP's tech support is pretty solid. The printer's interface is second to none and basically tells you when and how to perform any maintenance. HP will always put their products back under a service contract. I believe its $350 as long as it produces a print. Then its out of pocket to get to that point and then they will put it under contract. They also have a wide array of resources online for tis platform. Ive had one for 4 years now and the only thing its ever needed was a $175 sensor that I put in myself. HP is able to log in and diagnose your issues remotely. We also just added an EFI flatbed...she's gonna be expensive to keep happy. She offers a little more reaching a few different areas or else I would have put a R2000 instead.
i still fall back to my original response to tonya
IF YOU CAN FIND A SERVICE COMPANY that will charge you a fair MARKET PRICE for services (not one who feels it is their job to punish you for having bought from another end user) [THEY DO EXIST, BUT ARE FEW & FAR BETWEEN] you can purchase a decent used machine, put it through years of light duty, maintain it well & not have to write off $80K in capital expense in 3 years.

i would start by reaching out to all the service companies in your area, find the one or two who are not complete jerks & then search for the brand that they sell, that will allow a reasonable plan for maintenance. perhaps one of them will cut you a deal on an off lease machine.

JamesLam

Last week I had an interesting chat with a fellow that brokers used equipment. The basic run-down is that the technology is pretty well the same as it was 20 years ago. In many cases machines made 20 years ago are more robust then equipment made today. Ink tech is pretty well the same and all brands are pretty well still available.

Most manufacturers are more than capable regarding refurbishing older machines as the tech and components are still current. Therefore service and contracts are not an issue.

I think the one deciding factor regarding which brand to purchase was who was more or less local in the event that a machine did go down. I would think this would apply to new as well.