• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi compatibility issue...16 bit vs 64 bit

okeesignguy

I have acquired an older version, 7.6v2 which apparently runs on older windows 16 bit...
I run windows 10 which is 64 bit...
Is there any way to make it work or will I need to find an older PC to run it on..?

A little background...
I sold my shop and retired about 1-1/2 years ago where I ran a newer version but was looking for Flexi cheap just to play around on at home and a friend gave me this legit version complete with key...still in the box...
I do not plan on any production with it, but I occasionally design things and have them printed at my old shop...

Thanx for any help given!

jimdtg

That should try to install that version on your Windows first and if it is installed completely so you have install hardware key driver to get Flexi working.

okeesignguy

First thing I did was read the System Requirements on the Readme PDF on the disc and it said,
Windows 98 / ME /Windows NT4.0 / 2000 / XP...
I am running Windows 10 but figured I would give it a try...

I first inserted the key into the USB and then turned the PC on...
Then installed the program using the CD and it installed and seemed to go well...til the end....
That's when it informed me that the 16bit version is not compatible with my 64 bit system...however it seemed to install...
So I restated my PC......and yes, the light on the tip of the key stayed lit...
However when I tried to start the program it told me that it would not run without the key, which remained plugged in and lit...

Thank you for your help :) much appreciated:)

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 67

d fleming

I believe you can run a backwards compatible os under 10. Or some such mess. Not a computer guy but someone here might be able to help. I am upgrading my signlab for the same reason. It is running on an old win7 pc but need it in newer os to run newer tools. Oh for the days when an upgrade meant I bought new brushes, lol.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Might just need to install newer drivers for the security dongle since the ones on the disc are probably not compatible with Windows 10. Also might need to run it in Compatibility mode which you can set in the program shortcut properties.

WildWestDesigns

The 9x era of Windows was a hybrid 16 and 32 bit systems. Now, the tricky thing is it really 32 bit all the way or is it 32 bit with a 16 bit installation stub or is it totally 16bit. The odds go down the further right we go. I do believe (although I can't remember the name of it right off hand) there is an open source project to put in that 16bit layer on a 64 bit system. 32bit systems still had it, but not in 64 bit systems by default. Need something that puts that back in there.

Compatibility mode really won't help if we are dealing with an issue with 16bit.

Other option may be to VM an old 9x up to XP 32bit system and do it that way.

Oh for the days when an upgrade meant I bought new brushes, lol.
For me, it was a new fountain pen nibs. Ironically as much as I really do like the tech and writing tools for my tech, it seem like I'm also drifting back to luddite status. Getting out the Ames and french curves.

ProSignTN

I'm running a VM (Virtual Machine) on my Win7 Pro for an old PS 6.0 program. It was hair pulling to set up, but no subscription for the four or five times a month I actually need PS.

okeesignguy

I believe you can run a backwards compatible os under 10. Or some such mess. Not a computer guy but someone here might be able to help. I am upgrading my signlab for the same reason. It is running on an old win7 pc but need it in newer os to run newer tools. Oh for the days when an upgrade meant I bought new brushes, lol.
I tried the "compatibility mode" however win 10 was not listed...thanx :)

okeesignguy

Might just need to install newer drivers for the security dongle since the ones on the disc are probably not compatible with Windows 10. Also might need to run it in Compatibility mode which you can set in the program shortcut properties.
Tried that...it didn't work...thanx :)

okeesignguy

The 9x era of Windows was a hybrid 16 and 32 bit systems. Now, the tricky thing is it really 32 bit all the way or is it 32 bit with a 16 bit installation stub or is it totally 16bit. The odds go down the further right we go. I do believe (although I can't remember the name of it right off hand) there is an open source project to put in that 16bit layer on a 64 bit system. 32bit systems still had it, but not in 64 bit systems by default. Need something that puts that back in there.

Compatibility mode really won't help if we are dealing with an issue with 16bit.

Other option may be to VM an old 9x up to XP 32bit system and do it that way.

For me, it was a new fountain pen nibs. Ironically as much as I really do like the tech and writing tools for my tech, it seem like I'm also drifting back to luddite status. Getting out the Ames and french curves.
Although I appreciate your help, unfortunately you are talking over my head :( Thanx but I wish I understood...

netsol

NEVER PLUG IN A USB DEVICE, BEFORE THE DRIVER IS INSTALLED
it will just become a composite device (nonfunctional)

NO IDEA if ver. 7xxx will run on windows 10

okeesignguy

NEVER PLUG IN A USB DEVICE, BEFORE THE DRIVER IS INSTALLED
it will just become a composite device (nonfunctional)

NO IDEA if ver. 7xxx will run on windows 10
I installed the driver...shut down...installed usb...restarted the pc...in that order...thanx!