• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexible $11 DIY media catch basket for a cutter

doktorek

A while back I was looking to get a cheap media basket. There were few people with few ideas. But none of them were flexible enough. So I came up with a little "SUPER CHEAP" version.
Or course its work in progress.

I wanted my media basket to be slide in and out on both siders and go up and down if needed.
I got 2 curtain rods and just zipped tied it to the machine. Zip tie lets the "basket" go up and down and tracks allow me to go in and out on both sides. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-28-in-To-48-in-White-Steel-Double-Curtain-Rod/1000514089

I know, I know - it looks "ghetto", but it works. Yellow vinyl wasnt my choice because it was the only roll that was damaged so I used it. I didnt have any banner material. It will look good if I put matte black vinyl. But first I have to see how it will work out. Work out the kinks, length, etc before I use black vinyl.

Maybe someone will find this handy.

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 2,011
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 500
  • bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 423
  • bb4.jpg
    bb4.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 436

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Good job. I probably spent $50 on mine. I used conduit. (I overpaid for 8 elbows, but had canvas [real canvas, not the kind you print on] on the shelf)

decca591

A while back I was looking to get a cheap media basket. There were few people with few ideas. But none of them were flexible enough. So I came up with a little "SUPER CHEAP" version.

I wanted my media basket to be slide in and out on both siders and go up and down if needed.
I got 2 curtain rods and just zipped tied it to the machine. Zip tie lets the "basket" go up and down and tracks allow me to go in and out on both sides. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-28-in-To-48-in-White-Steel-Double-Curtain-Rod/1000514089

I know, I know - it looks "ghetto", but it works. Yellow vinyl wasnt my choice because it was the only roll that was damaged so I used it. I didnt have any banner material. It will look good if I put matte black vinyl. But first I have to see how it will work out. Work out the kinks, length, etc before I use black vinyl.

I had a spare cutter stand i had dismantled but not yet dumped, after seeing your post i used the spare brackets for the rollers, had to extend them a bit, drill six holes in the legs of my new cutter stand and used my spare rollers, and come up with this, current version is made from lining paper, ends glued to make the loops for the rollers, and a piece of foam board for the bottom to create the shape. It works, once i work out best material i will get Sue to run it up on the machine !!, the paper version is suprisingly strong

Attachments

• 20220604_101948.jpg
    20220604_101948.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 284
  • 20220604_102028.jpg
    20220604_102028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 275
  • 20220604_102519.jpg
    20220604_102519.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 348

decca591

I have also mounted my manual laminator on to the re-assembled stand, made a holder for the laminate that bolts to my worktop, happy with it !!
Will post pics next time i use it

garyroy

Sweet little modification. Does the same thing as a $199 accessory would and you made it!
Thanks for the pics, that helps a lot.

This is a great idea. Thank You!!