• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flexisign pro 10 or Onyx postershop 10?

bigben

What should I take? I will have a L25500 with a summa D160R. 70% of my jobs are print/cut. I work with flexisign for the last 5 years and like it. But all reps tell me to take Onyx over flexisign.

What I like in flexisign and I don't know if it have it in phostershop:

• Multiple registration mark options for print and cut.
  • Bar code reading for the cutter
  • Variable data
  • Automatic imposition/nesting (I know both have this)
  • ICC profile creation via the spectrometer in the printer (I know HP still working on it to be 100% fontional and will be aviable in the future).
  • Flexisign have more profiles aviable for the L25500 than any other rip.(That's what a tech told me).
  • I like to be able to do basic design with flexi like customer send me a image then I do a simple cut line.
I need some feedback please.

Thanks.

WildWestDesigns

To me, sometimes it's the devil you know. You know your way around flexi, if it does everything that you ask of it and you don't think you are going to be asking it anything that it can't handle, I would stick with it.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Onyx... It has all those features. Profiles I find are much more abundant in Onyx than Flexi, You can go on HP's L25500 website and 99% of the profiles on there are for Onyx.

I worked with Flexi for about 5 years before I purchased Onyx, and I would never go back. Flexi has so many nagging issues behind the scenes that it is not worth its shinning moments.

Last edited:

HulkSmash

Are you people out of your mind?

Please do not get FLXI over Onyx. The difference is Silver and Platinum.
Flexi DOES NOT have more profiles than onyx.

Use the search function and see all the issues everyone is having with flexi.
See if you find any having problems with onyx....

Richard G

I have been using Flexi since version 3.5 on a floppy disk. I personally don't see all of these problems with Flexi that are talked about. True it probably isn't a intuit as Onyx but if you have used Flexi for a while why try to setup another program that you have to redue all of your exsiting files. I run flexi on 2 machines one for printing and one for vinyl production. I have had employees working on flexi in one day and not had a problem. I guess what i am trying to say is I want to stand up for Flexi for I don't believe it is a second hand program. As was said in a earlier reply, think of what you know in Flexi now and how you will have adjust in the future with a new program over what you are used to using now. I've got over 565 GB of Flexi files. Sales people are sales people... is that sales person using Onyx on a daily level or is he a salesperson who "knows what best". Meet YOUR needs, not always what's the most talked about. How many Flexi users are not speaking up? Make a prudent and educated decion on what works best for you. Just my 2 cents.

bigben

what's make Onyx better than Flexi? What are the options that flexi doesn't have? I heard that Onyx was not great for cutting purpose. I would prefer not change software between print/cut operation. Give me all the details please...

Does Onyx can handle a cut and half cut with my summa? Does it can print a bar code that the cutter will read after that? Does it can do variable data?

Thank you.

Ben

Christian @ 2CT Media

First off Onyx is a RIP program not a Low level design program built into a RIP. You will need to do all of your design work outside of Onyx.

Onyx handles cutting much better than Flexi in my experiences. Its not designed to just cut vinyl like you can do in Flexi, but that can be handled by plug-ins to corel or illustrator. Onyx will print any registration mark you want along with barcodes and variable data.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've used both. I know everyone loved to hate on Flexi and rave about Onyx but in my opinion if you do a lot of print/cut you cannot beat the ease of Flexi. I personally could not care less about canned profiles as I've always found them useless. If you have an Eye-One colorimeter (or one a few others compatable) Flexi has profile creation built in. I think I've also read that Flexi's drivers for the HP Latex can use the HP's built in spectro for profiling.

Behind the scenes Flexi uses CPSI and (I think) Onyx does as well. Many might not realize or know what this is or means.... CPSI is Adobe's RIP engine. Yep - the actual RIP engine is from Adobe.

Anyways in my own experience and opinion both work great as long they are actually setup properly but when it comes to ease of print/cut jobs or quickie cut jobs Flexi is easier and faster. I've also had Onyx crash in the past as well as Flexi. NO program is immune to having a bug or occasional crash. I've also run into browser issues causing problems in Onyx. That was back on version 6 though....

smdgrfx

I also have both with the HP Latex. Print and cut is easier with Flexi. Most options are easier to access in Flexi. Onyx has a lot of different settings if that's what you like to play with, but it is a bit more tedious to do some things. In my honest opinion, most of the time it takes longer to print from Onyx than it does from Flexi because of the complexity of software. If you are happy to print from Flexi then stick with it.