• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Florentine Silver for a Boat

fresh

I'm looking for some outdoor rated Florentine SILVER to be used on a boat. I thought SignGold would work, but the silver is not rated for outdoor use.

Also, it doesn't have to be real silver. And finally, its got to be done with cut vinyl, they will not spring for real guilding.

Thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With all of those conditions, I'd just pass.

Or-r-r-r-r.......... print it, laminate it with super glossy lam and stick it on.

fresh

what about using the signgold silver, and overlay laminate 1/4" larger to encapsulate?

I am nervous about doing that since it isn't warrantied for outdoor use. EDIT: Does laminating it change the warrantee? Do you have real experience laminating signgold silver for outdoor use? how did it hold up?

Last edited:

fresh

With all of those conditions, I'd just pass.

Or-r-r-r-r.......... print it, laminate it with super glossy lam and stick it on.

You would. They had florentine silver vinyl on the boat before. The boat was damaged and is currently being repainted, so we are trying to match what was there before. Obviously it was available at some point. Thanks for your help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You would. They had florentine silver vinyl on the boat before. The boat was damaged and is currently being repainted, so we are trying to match what was there before. Obviously it was available at some point. Thanks for your help.
Why didn't you just say, you were trying to match an existing 'hack' job ?? Then... it might make a difference. However, when someone throws out a request with so many variables and conditions, it makes one wonder, why a customer would want to go a cheap route ??
Now it makes sense. You've got the job looking for cheap vinyl which will hold up and you're not allowed to use the right choice for the job.

You're the one said the stuff wasn't rated for outdoor use, no one else. The rest of us are trying to give you alternatives.

OraCal 383 will do the trick. :toasting:

fresh

Why didn't you just say, you were trying to match an existing 'hack' job ?? Then... it might make a difference. However, when someone throws out a request with so many variables and conditions, it makes one wonder, why a customer would want to go a cheap route ??
Now it makes sense. You've got the job looking for cheap vinyl which will hold up and you're not allowed to use the right choice for the job.

You're the one said the stuff wasn't rated for outdoor use, no one else. The rest of us are trying to give you alternatives.
OraCal 383 will do the trick. :toasting:

Gino, I REALLY, REALLY wish you would just ignore all of my posts. Where did I say I wanted cheap vinyl? Did I mention price at all? I said they do not want us to hand-guild the boat, not they want the cheapest option possible. The lettering still looks good, I just don't know what was used on it before. Clearly someone makes a silver leaf or simulated silver leaf vinyl product that can be used outdoors. If you don't know the answer, JUST MOVE ON. Seriously.

Also, w t f are you talking about? OUTDOOR FLORENTINE SILVER CUT VINYL. What is so variable about that? OH OH OOHH My head is going to EXPLODE with all those conditions!! She wants the material to be outdoor-rated AND be vinyl?!? Who asks for those things??? Too. Many. Conditions.

fresh

FWIW avery florentine silver offers "medium term outdoor performance and durability"

Yeah, its rated for 2 years. That might be my only option. I have no idea how long the other stuff was on it, for all I know, that was what is on it right now. Maybe we will laminate it for good measure :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I REALLY, REALLY wish you would just ignore all of my posts. Where did I say I wanted cheap vinyl? Did I mention price at all? I said they do not want us to hand-guild the boat, not they want the cheapest option possible. The lettering still looks good, I just don't know what was used on it before. Clearly someone makes a silver leaf or simulated silver leaf vinyl product that can be used outdoors. If you don't know the answer, JUST MOVE ON. Seriously.
But I did give you a tried product which works and you chose to ignore it due to the source. Makes no never mind to me, but you accused me of not helping and that was a good piece of help.

I’m looking for outdoor rated Florentine silver….. sign gold won’t work, not rated for outdoor use…… it doesn’t have to be real silver and it’s got to be done in vinyl, cause they can’t afford the real stuff……. do you have real experience laminating signgold silver for outdoor use?

Dafug ?? This is what you wrote and we're suppose to figure out what's really going on to help you ??

Also, w t f are you talking about? OUTDOOR FLORENTINE SILVER CUT VINYL. What is so variable about that? OH OH OOHH My head is going to EXPLODE with all those conditions!! She wants the material to be outdoor-rated AND be vinyl?!? Who asks for those things??? Too. Many. Conditions.

If you could comprehend what you read, you'd have half the battle won and the rest would be won, when you learned to write.

I would gladly ignore your posts, but to tell you the truth, I can't keep some of you guys separate. After a while, y'all run together and sound alike.

You come here with half thought out questions and give details little by little and wonder why you recieve such a wide varity of answers.

You don't need to try my suggestion of the 383, but you could at least stop making stuff up and adding it in to the story little by little.

It's no wonder no one seems to understand questions with so many of them being half baked ideas with no one knowing what's going on except the OP's.

Billct2

Coburn is rated for 3 years and I would definately laminate it with a clear cast vinyl with a 1/4" overlap.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
I the R-tape stuff should be good. you could stick a UV laminate on it before cuttin it.
I work with a lot of boat lettering and the signgold stuff really lasts with a UV laminate on it. i did some small engine turn (with U.V.L.) over TEN years ago and it still looks good as new...
plus, my head didn't explode.

fresh

I the R-tape stuff should be good. you could stick a UV laminate on it before cuttin it.
I work with a lot of boat lettering and the signgold stuff really lasts with a UV laminate on it. i did some small engine turn (with U.V.L.) over TEN years ago and it still looks good as new...
plus, my head didn't explode.

Sweet, I think we are going to suggest using the SignGold silver with the UV laminate. Thank you for your help!

(R-tape doesn't have a florentine silver, but we do love using their gold products!)

Steve G.

the r tape silver Florentine leaf works well. Sold by fdc it is 4826 series.
It is rated for 5 yrs outdoor/ flat applications.
I have it on several fire trucks, with only minor issues occasionally.
Problem is, they discontinued Florentine silver about a year and a half ago.
I have some.
If you can't find it and you don't need too much, I can send you some. pm me.

steve

fresh

the r tape silver Florentine leaf works well. Sold by fdc it is 4826 series.
It is rated for 5 yrs outdoor/ flat applications.
I have it on several fire trucks, with only minor issues occasionally.
Problem is, they discontinued Florentine silver about a year and a half ago.
I have some.
If you can't find it and you don't need too much, I can send you some. pm me.

steve

ARRRGGG. Figures! Thank you for the offer, I only need about 6 feet x 16" (I know, less than optimum vinyl usage!) I'll see what they client says. We are actually a subcontractor, so its going to take a few days before we hear anything back. Thanks again for your words of advice, I really appreciate it!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but that ain't it. I never would've had the letter perspective all wrong like that one. The 'F' is on a totally different plane the the 'H'.