• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fluorescent Vinyl Substitute?

mackenzieGRAPHICS

We're doing a van wrap for one of our clients who have specified their "company color" is, of course, a fluorescent Pantone that our printers can't hit. They have existing van graphics that used the FDC Fluorescent Red vinyl, but the lifespan of it is up to 6 months. We're going to need something more long-term but can only find a 2 year product through FDC.

Anyone have experience or know of another vinyl with a longer lifespan that matches or closely resembles the Fluorescent Red with FDC?

Found a couple 3M products, but would rather ask the experts before calling around.

Link to color example: FDC Fluorescent 2700 Sign Vinyl - 12" W x 12" L

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm no expert on fluorescent vinyls or printing it with ink to achieve the same results, but I can tell ya, just about nothing of true fluorescents will last very long. They are in a rapid state of decay and not intended for permanent use(s). Fluorescents are not made with stable lightfast pigment.

Sometimes customers ask for extremes and you just need to be the bearer of bad news..... it ain't gonna happen. 2 years is really good.

mackenzieGRAPHICS

I'm no expert on fluorescent vinyls or printing it with ink to achieve the same results, but I can tell ya, just about nothing of true fluorescents will last very long. They are in a rapid state of decay and not intended for permanent use(s). Fluorescents are not made with stable lightfast pigment.

Sometimes customers ask for extremes and you just need to be the bearer of bad news..... it ain't gonna happen. 2 years is really good.

I'm of the same understanding, but was just hoping for some sort of miracle. Assuming the 2 year option matches their existing 6 month vinyl, we'll likely go that route anyway. Thanks, Gino!

KMC

Graphic Artist
Fluro pre coloured vinyls are not intended for outdoor use in a long term application

Billct2

We've tried laminating it with UV clear, either a liquid like frog juice or film, but can't really say how much it helped. We're just upfront about the fade factor. If they clean and wax the vehicle often that helps too.

mackenzieGRAPHICS

In case anyone who happens upon this thread has a similar issue.. I've learned that Avery has the ability to create custom cast vinyls that will specifically match the Pantone of your choice. No idea if the fluorescent colors are within their spectrum, but still thought that's a neat service to offer.