• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Folding banner edges

stephenj148

Wondering what other ways people use to fold the banner edges when printing on roll banner. Do you use banner tape, sew them, banner weld them? Been looking into the best way to do this...

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Wondering what other ways people use to fold the banner edges when printing on roll banner. Do you use banner tape, sew them, banner weld them? Been looking into the best way to do this...

well, banner tape seems to be the down and dirty way of making them ... I would still heat the edges after you tape it to make a heat bend to prevent delaming of the tape later on (one hot day in florida and they are effed in the aye ... bow chicka wow style). personally I always send my banners out to be printed at a place that does a double seam edge stitch with reinforced grommets and have that corner piece stitched in to double the material for the grommet. ... well worth the money for someone to do it completely correct.

txsurfer

We have dones thousands of banners with tape, we are in south Texas, never had one comeback, use a good quality Banner Tape!

jmb474

We have done a ton of banners that sit out in 100 plus degree weather in the Arizona sun and haven't had a problem with the hem tape failing. If it's under high wind load though we will have them sewn.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
you guys must be the exception, i've seen many of them fail just because the edge wasn't heated up and compressed to give it a nice memory edge to help not work itself free. there was a place in orlando that was just printing and taping ... kept getting his customers at the time since they kept delaming ... got paid really nicely to clean the old tape off, put new tape on and just heat the edge.

GB2

Old Member
Banner tape, like vinyl, has a pressure sensitive adhesive. Get yourself a J roller to compress the hem when using tape and you'll never have a problem with 90% of your banners. Sewing is neccessary if you have large banners that require reinforcement webbing, need to attach straps or rings for hanging, or seaming multiple pieces. Welding serves the same purpose as sewing and both require additional investment in equipment.

jmb474

Or maybe the guy used the really cheap hem tape. I can tell you that every summer we have plenty of days that hit 115 plus which would help a hem fail if it was ever going to.

stephenj148

I've been using the tape. Just have trouble every now and then getting a good fold/non wrinkeld tape job. Just need to practice/ and try the roller and heat i suppose

Salmoneye

I have used two strips wide to hem 12' banners that I printed on my 54" machine. Haven't had a seam fail yet, have had the material rip on one but not the seam.

2B

We have moved away from traditional banner tape as it was not holding up to the heat, no matter what we did to the edge after hemming. we had several days hit 117 last summer.

We now use VHB with a 212f fail temp and then as MikePro says squeegee the edge, good to go have not had one issue