• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font of The year

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
There's not a whole hell of a lot that distinguishes this type face from countless others, the uppercase 'J' not withstanding. One of the least used characters in a tray.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yeah lots of fun trying to identify some fonts when they are so similar. Here is a grouping that i always confuse one from another. Bonus points if you can identify all of them

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 11.23.02 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 11.23.02 AM.png
    413 KB · Views: 103

jochwat

Graphics Department
That font style drives me nuts, as it makes me think of the sans serif fonts included in Microsoft Office products, or many of the Google web fonts. Which, I strongly believe, is what led to such a font to be voted on by Fiverrrr folks: all that exposure to "free fonts".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back when everything was handlettered off the brush or a pounce, everyone wanted crazy fancy fonts. That was fine, if you could control and twill a brush in your hand, but no one wanted block letters at all, except under certain conditions. Now, we have the ability, but everyone wants fonts so basic it ain't even funny.

Had a truck in here last week. The Operations Director dropped the truck off with one of the guys. I told him there's not enough room for the website and Commercial Division. One or the other. He picked to keep the website, but to make it all caps. I said, that font will be hard to read and being all caps will make it worse. He said, no..... I like the all caps look. So, I made it all caps. They picked it up late friday afternoon. Tuesday morning..... big fat e-mail from the girl I usually deal with and she said don't ever do that again. I told her I was only doing what I was told. She said, I shoulda given her a courtesy call. Now, I'm a frickin' baby sitter. I told them, this is an internal problem on your end and THEY should have these things worked out ahead of time. It was eurostyle bold -squashed like crazy to fit in the space they had. Ya just can't win.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I remember when I got my first job typsetting in 1993. I had just graduated college and was eager to get started in Quark XPress and use a "cool" font like Papyrus.

Nope, got stuck on an old compugraphic-type system that I had about 20 fonts. The fonts were horrible newspaper fonts because the owners had bought this print company but came from the newspaper industry. I tried to at least use Microsoft Word for business cards but the owner would not have it - Compugraphic or nothing! I quit after 6 months.

what would you call it then? I thought that was the appropriate word
It think it is appropriate, for my old school training it brought back memories of setting individual metal characters on a slug to compose a manuscript. One would send it to a type house and "spec" it out: type size in points with leading (space between lines of text), line length, paragraph indentation. I wasn't a quick turnaround I guess today it would be called digital typesetting, formatting, composing.

gnubler

Typeset? Haven't heard that word in decades!
That's because Hal has that job now, and people are free to post pictures of their lunch or their cat on Instagram instead of making sure their written words are spelled right and grammatically correct.

I know I'm not the only one who sends out a proof and 8 seconds later a reply comes back..."Looks good." PROOFREAD PEOPLE! :D

gnubler

I remember when I got my first job typsetting in 1993. I had just graduated college and was eager to get started in Quark XPress and use a "cool" font like Papyrus.

Nope, got stuck on an old compugraphic-type system that I had about 20 fonts. The fonts were horrible newspaper fonts because the owners had bought this print company but came from the newspaper industry. I tried to at least use Microsoft Word for business cards but the owner would not have it - Compugraphic or nothing! I quit after 6 months.
I worked as a designer and in prepress in the early 2000s and almost all typesetting was done in-house, strictly using only Adobe fonts because that's what we were licensed to use. Font usage has totally changed in 20 years, good and bad.

I used to be able to identify almost any font instantly, because there weren't 20 million to choose from. The Google fonts collection alone has 5,213 entries.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I worked as a designer and in prepress in the early 2000s and almost all typesetting was done in-house, strictly using only Adobe fonts because that's what we were licensed to use. Font usage has totally changed in 20 years, good and bad.

I used to be able to identify almost any font instantly, because there weren't 20 million to choose from. The Google fonts collection alone has 5,213 entries.
Yes, this! I used to be able to identify many, many fonts - but not these days! I can identify a good number of them but so many slight variations and so many decorative ones, it's tough!

That's because Hal has that job now, and people are free to post pictures of their lunch or their cat on Instagram instead of making sure their written words are spelled right and grammatically correct.

I know I'm not the only one who sends out a proof and 8 seconds later a reply comes back..."Looks good." PROOFREAD PEOPLE! :D

Yes, this! I used to be able to identify many, many fonts - but not these days! I can identify a good number of them but so many slight variations and so many decorative ones, it's tough!
Exactly, in the early 80's there used to be "rub-on" transfer text by a company called Letraset. It came in hundreds of different fonts, you would hand space each letter and transfer it to an illustration board. The next step would be to use a high contrast "Photostat" camera and shoot a positive or negative image of it. Back then it would be considered in bad form to use Letraset and not order the authentic type from a foundry. Haha the good o' days