• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Food shortages?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Is anyone seeing this?
I shopped at the commissary last weekend and the shelves were a little light but nothing alarming - except for the chicken.
An entire aisle of chillers and freezers for chicken and they were 100 percent empty. At the checkout they said their shipments were not coming in - no idea when they might have some.
All the red meat chillers were full. Maybe the bird flu is coming home to roost?
We are all the way at the end of the US food supply chain, small hick-ups at the beginning turn into bigger problems on this end.
Plenty of free-range chickens here and I can stand to miss a few meals but I don't know how well our troops will do without fresh chicken.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's hitting everywhere. Between gas shortages, food shortages and post pandemic conditions....... everything is being affected while prices are going through the roof.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When people were panic buying, there were empty shelves in areas... But the last time I was in the grocery store, I didn't see any empty shelves. With the exception of some sale items, that was such a good deal it was all taken.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We waste a lot of food as americans, a little less meat would do us good. This is china's silent war against the USA. They want us out of the way. GAC you should get some chickens and embrace eating eggs at every meal. I dunno how they do it but 1 hen can make a bunch of eggs.

Boudica

When people were panic buying, there were empty shelves in areas... But the last time I was in the grocery store, I didn't see any empty shelves. With the exception of some sale items, that was such a good deal it was all taken.
Edit to add, supply is still here, but prices are going up.

Johnny Best

Commissary! Have not been to one of those in many a year. Love to get the big can of sliced peaches. Did you go to the BX before you went?

rjssigns

No shortage of chicken, beef or pork at Costco, Sams or the local Piggly Wiggly. But we buy our meat from a small town butcher out in the pickers. Not many of those left where it comes in on the hoof and hours later it's in the display case.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Same here. We get all of our meat from very local, mostly Amish or Mennonite farmers. Vegetables same places. It's the paper products, Popsicles and weird sh!t that is disappearing at the grocery stores. I wouldn't touch their meats for anything. Cat & dog food has been very lacking in the last year. Seafood we buy at a local farmers market. Ya just hafta be careful what you pick.

Boudica

Who buys fish with the heads still on ??
Isn't that how they sell it at fish markets by the Ocean? He's talking about really fresh fish. I learned the eye thing at pike's place market in Seattle a long time ago.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They just have cataracts, commonly known as "Fish Eye" in our trade.

Cloudy............. sheesh.

Johnny Best

So is a filet of fish considered fresh if it just came out of the fryer? Asking for a friend
You mean your "friend" who buys his fillet of fish sandwich from McDonalds. Yes, fresh out of the freezer, from the truck that bought it there, from the factory in Newfoundland that was caught four months before in the North Atlantic.