• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fred Weiss - Where are you.......?

mxkid1979

Fred Hi,

I have been meaning to get in contact with you sooner regarding the help you have given me in the past on my Gerber equipment, as I wanted to say a big thankyou.

As you may have seen in my ("HELP ME") threads ages ago, I am a new start up MOTOCROSS decal company here in the UK. I will only use a GERBER EDGE FX printer (because of the banding elimination) and a GERBER GSX-15 Plus Plotter to cut with. As per my last threads, you have helped me answer questions before, but now I need your help more than ever.....!

I am needing to cut my material once printed and laminated through the GSX15 Plus, however... when I do, the blade seems to score across the vinyl as the machine makes it's way to the start point each time?

I am using a 60 degree blade (which is pushed right in), the thickness of vinyl/laminate compound is either 325micron (13mil) or 450micron (18mil). I use only Convex media to print and laminate with, but I am suffering this 'scoring' problem all the time now - at first the machine wasn't doing it at all, but now it seems unstoppable!

There has to be something that I am doing wrong here? Do you know what I can do to resolve this issue, and also am I OK to be cutting 13 or 18mil vinyl compounds through the GSX Plus? As much as I love this job, I need to stop cutting by hand as it is slowing the business right down...

Any help is greatly appreciated....

By Fred and anyone else for that matter....

Many thanks in advance

Gareth
PRO-DECALS

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hi Gareth ...

I've never worked with a GSX but, if it's like other Gerber plotters, and if you're mechanically inclined, there is a z-axis lift adjustment that will resolve the problem.

Other things to check first though:

Is the material lifting off the cutting surface due to its added rigidity?

Does the problem still exist if you use a 30 or 45 degree blade?

signage

I would check to make sure the cutting head lift mechanosm is clean and lubricated! It could be dirty and not lifting all the way!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure I'm reading your post correctly..... were you capable of using this process with the same materials before and they are just getting worse on this material now ?? Or are they getting worse on all materials across the board ??

ridewraps

i can tell you how to fix the GSX cutter! Did mine back when I started doing moto in 1997 man that was a long happy time ago back when it was just me and decal not every other guy in a garage.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i can tell you how to fix the GSX cutter! Did mine back when I started doing moto in 1997 man that was a long happy time ago back when it was just me and decal not every other guy in a garage.

The idea is to do so here so anyone with the same problem can benefit later on.

vectorterrorist

what I want to know (and maybe I was mis informed) is how someone prints a shroud of a bike on a gerber thermal printer. Isnt this printer too small to print large pieces?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
what I want to know (and maybe I was mis informed) is how someone prints a shroud of a bike on a gerber thermal printer. Isnt this printer too small to print large pieces?

:thread The Edge prints up to an 11.8" image. If the height is more than that then it shifts to panels up to 11.5" with a .1" overlap. In over 9 years of Edge printing, I have never had a client complain about a paneled installation.

vectorterrorist

:thankyou:so bare with me fred...I'm the green horn everyne has been helping- so a gerber (if the size is two big) will split something (like the shroud) and do it in say..lke 2 sections?

mxkid1979

Thanks for your responses guys, but to answer all questions one by on;

1. Pat White - I do have to laminate, as if I cut the decal out then laminate, I still have to cut the finished article by hand, which will look shoddy and double my work loads.

2. Fred Weiss - Fred how do I find the Z-Axis lift adjustment. This would be a starter I think. In this case are we looking at an adjustment on the machine, or through OMEGA? I haven't tried a 30 degree blade, as I was advised to use a 60 degree blade for vinyl over 200 microns thick. But I could give it a go to eliminate the issue I guess. The vinyl may be lifting due to the rigidity, but it didn't do it to start with!

3. Signage - I will check this out thanks - In fairness I haven't had the machine too long but things can get dirty quickly!

4. Gino - Yes I could cut 13 & 18mil vinyls when I first got the machine a month ago! It has only started happening, since I had a massive sticker job to cut using a 30 degree blade on ORACAL 641 vinyl. But when replacing the 30 degree for a 60 degree blade, I did make sure that the blade was fully inserted into the holder. But this iswhen it all started!

5. Ridewraps - Please do tell me how to eradicate this problem, as I will go bald quickly in trying to do it myself!!!

One last thing though - I did up the cutting speed from 24 (used when cutting MX vinyl) to 40 (for the sticker run) - Could doing this make the vinyl 'lift' off the roller slighty when moving, and therefore be scoring the vinyl?

Thanks again guys....

Gareth

ridewraps

real simple a shroud that is printed on an edge is NOT tiled and or made to be. If you look at 99% of the templates that are being used for edge output they either DO NOT go all the way up or all the way to the bottom. SIMPLE IS BETTER!!!! That is why there are sign companies and there are MOTOCROSS graphic companies. You can be both but you need to understand MOTOCROSS and the needs of the riders.

vectorterrorist

real simple a shroud that is printed on an edge is NOT tiled and or made to be. If you look at 99% of the templates that are being used for edge output they either DO NOT go all the way up or all the way to the bottom. SIMPLE IS BETTER!!!! That is why there are sign companies and there are MOTOCROSS graphic companies. You can be both but you need to understand MOTOCROSS and the needs of the riders.

well lesat I know now- the templates I have seen are full length and used with large format printers. where would a person get "thermal printer" mx templates? or are people just cutting the tops or bottoms off them?

mxkid1979

well lesat I know now- the templates I have seen are full length and used with large format printers. where would a person get "thermal printer" mx templates? or are people just cutting the tops or bottoms off them?

Dude I simply adapt my templates to fit the bandwidth of the GERBER EDGDE FX. On most of the templates, you do not lose alot of the template! But for example the 08/09 RMZ 450 Rad Shroud - I have a 2 piece template, which not only make life easier to fit, but.... Also goes through the FX without altering the template at all!!!

And to be honest I have had more good comments than bad, when my customers have seen the altered template, as it eliminates a further edge to get caught on by a pressure washer at the circuit!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks for your responses guys, but to answer all questions one by on;
2. Fred Weiss - Fred how do I find the Z-Axis lift adjustment. This would be a starter I think. In this case are we looking at an adjustment on the machine, or through OMEGA? I haven't tried a 30 degree blade, as I was advised to use a 60 degree blade for vinyl over 200 microns thick. But I could give it a go to eliminate the issue I guess. The vinyl may be lifting due to the rigidity, but it didn't do it to start with!

One last thing though - I did up the cutting speed from 24 (used when cutting MX vinyl) to 40 (for the sticker run) - Could doing this make the vinyl 'lift' off the roller slighty when moving, and therefore be scoring the vinyl?

Thanks again guys....

Gareth

• Unplug the machine and remove the end covers.
  • Rotate the chrome shaft that runs through the tool head and follow what moves.
  • Inspect for cleanliness ... especially for stuck on pieces of vinyl. Remove any vinyl that may be stuck to any surface.
  • Locate the collar clamp in the motion path for lifting. Loosen it and rotate the shaft to move the lifter higher. Tighten the clamp and rotate until the blade is fully down to insure that it is dropping far enough to cut properly.
  • Plug in and test. If okay, unplug again and put covers back on.
It's purely a mechanical adjustment and has nothing to do with your software.

We used to have the same problem with sandblast rubber and a 60 degree blade. Do yourself a favor and try a 45 degree blade and a 30 degree to see if it solves your problem. The 60 degree blade is probably slightly longer and the point of the 60 degree blade, therefore, is closer to the cutting surface.

Speed settings can be very important. Generally with tougher, thicker materials or those that may be lifting due to rigidity, you should slow down the plotter. The speed increase you mentioned sounds like a simple thing to test by returning it to the former speed or even slower.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • Possibly you have the blade in backwards.
  • Possibly you have the guard mounted too low.
  • Possibly you put an old blade in that isn't at all sharp.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:thankyou:so bare with me fred...I'm the green horn everyne has been helping- so a gerber (if the size is two big) will split something (like the shroud) and do it in say..lke 2 sections?

Yes that is correct. Two panels have an overall height limit of 23". Three panels are limited to 34.5".

Here is a picture of a three panel installation:

394Gas_Grill_Van_07.jpg

Flame

Plain and simple... you DO NOT TILE MOTOCROSS GRAPHICS. Period. You would get laughed off of the MX track.

To be perfectly honest, I think you need new equipment. You either need a sprocket fed plotter or a flatbed to properly cut this crazy stuff.

graphixplus

I was having the same problems. To the point of even getting a new carriage for the blade (Not Cheap). Still was happening.:banghead:

Thru the whole process I went back to the owner manual
to find out that (What I have been doing for years was wrong)

There is to be NO type of lubricant on the blade carriage (Stated in the manuals)

Clean the Carriage and where the Knife get's inserted with break cleaner
& the blade holder. (Break_Kleen removes the oil)

Have not had a problem since:beer

mxkid1979

Thanks guys...

I am going to have a go at this today!

Then try a few test cuts..

I will let you all know how I get on later....

Thanks again

Gareth

smdgrfx

Fred, good information on adjusting the Z axis. I was trying to do the same thing with my Edge/GS15plus. I came to the conclusion that the plotter just wouldn't raise the blade back up all the way. I figured it was a flaw of the plotter. I'm going to give it a try myself. Thinking it was a plotter problem, I went out and bought a new one (bigger Graphtec). Now, I'm trying to figure out how to run a Gerber Edge with a Graphtec. Seems like an even bigger problem because there are no Gerber drivers for my Graphtec. I called Graphtec and they pretty much told me "good luck with that". Now, I'm looking at upgrading to Flex 8 and run everything with it. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I'm curious to see if mxkid will get it to work.