• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Free Avery Vinyl

Joe Diaz

Out of curiosity, someone earlier asked if there was any legal action like a class action against what happened... did that ever happen?

Most were able to get them to cover certain things. It was kind of done on an individual basis. Some got refunds for the material, compensated for labor etc. Some got them to replace the material. (yeah like I would want to restock with more avery :rolleyes:) None of the deals made went far enough IMO, and I bet it depended on how much of a ruckus you made as to what type of a deal you got, but I think most were more willing to do that and move on than risk it in a class action suit. I'm sure a lot of folks just ate it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If Johnson & Johnson produced a batch of Band-Aids that had something in the adhesive by mistake which resulted in the skin being eaten off when applied, would you expect them to pay you for your pain and suffering along with your medical expenses? Or would you be satisfied if they just gave you a new box of Band-Aids? That's the difference between product liability and warranty.

If they insisted that there was no problem and continued selling the bad batch of Band-Aids, what would be your feelings? If, when a number of cases started showing up, they said that each individual simply did not put the Band-Aid on correctly ... would that bother you? And if they quietly dealt with each complaint secretly and settled each complaint by stonewalling and bullying, thus avoiding a class action suit, and never admitting there had ever been a problem, what then? Knowing all this, would you ever buy a box of Band-Aids again or would you buy a different brand?

300mphGraphics

We faxed our free order form over 2 days ago and haven't heard a thing. Figured we'd give it a shot on a company vehicle and see if the problems from years back have been fixed.

iSign

hi,

i just order free vinyl so if somebody need call them they still have.

it's not free... Can't you read...

It will cost you weeks of re-installations, years of clients, and lifetimes of woulda-shoulda-coulda's regarding the sign business you used to have!!

Custom_Grafx

No. Avery eventually did a masterful job of dealing with complaints individually and through their distributors in relative secrecy. I always maintained that the matter should have been pursued as a product liability issue instead of a warranty issue. In that event, a class action would have been appropriate. Avery's negligence and subsequent cover up resulted in not just the failure of their vinyl, but also the loss of other brands in the same installations that had not failed in their own right. In addition, had it been explored, there was also significant damage to sign shop reputations and loss of future sales by those shops from their customers who experienced failures.

That's shocking.

I am stuck at the moment between avery and 3m. I was trying to stick with 3m, and I have been burnt quite bad, and no one seems to care - I have escalated with the distributor to their ceo, but still nothing... just "we'll replace your roll"... it's a little late for that, and it doesn't compensate me for ink, time, reputation etc.

The other "top brand" name which my client specified, is avery. Sorry to everyone here affected by avery, but I wasn't left with much choice... I got a roll and touch wood, it went well, as well as the laminate.

The other 2 options I think I have, are arlon, and oracal? I have a job on currently using arlon (using for the first time), and it looks like a decent product. I have never had any experience with oracal, but I see a lot of people using it here on this forum.

At the end of the day, what everyone wants, is a consistently good product - and if there's something wrong, someone who stands up for their product and reputation. Too much to ask maybe...

B Snyder

Gotta love the terms and conditions.
(From the PDF in post #31)

** Claims for reimbursement must be filed within six months of receiving your
free rolls and the job must be registered online at averygraphics.com/promo.