• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

frontage calculation question...

imajenn

Hey guys,

Ordinace says
"...wall sign shall not exceed fifteen (15) percent of the exposed building face to which it is attached."

so am I supposed to calculate the green area or just the pink area?

1655852303858.png

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
"building face to which it is attached"
Pink. It doesn't say total building face and is probably geared more towards the big boxes

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The green box.

The pink box in what we in the industry refer to as the "sign band".

If they were referring to the sign band, those tenants on the right would have some very tiny signs.

Notarealsignguy

But that is probably about right if you include the roof thing? The left looks like the anchor grocery store with an attached liquor store which is the area in question? How would the 15% calculate for them? Total store and sub-store or each individual?

Notarealsignguy

I'd cover the whole pink area and then show them my common core math worksheet that proves my 15% calculation.
Hey I like common core. It sure did suck to run through a page long math problem, screw up 1 digit and get the whole thing wrong.

visual800

i would say referring to pink only the green part has nothing to do with signage. As far as 15% just throw a design on it no one follows that crap anymore, everyone is just happy to have tenants. Some idiot architect made up those rules and they only applied when the first tenants moved in lol

brdesign

Check with the permitting office. Some of the cities I deal with would go by the pink area and others would go by the green area. It's weird how multiple jurisdictions can have the same sign codes (because they just copy each other) but very different interpretations of those same codes.

John Miller

Design your sign using the green area. Propose the sign to zoning as if you're sure it's correct. If they approve, get it in writing. If not revert to the pink. Tell your client in advance you are trying to get them the biggest sign they can have. If your first proposal fails, it's the towns fault, At least you tried.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It used to be just a mall ownership/management kinda deal, but most municipalities have moved in and added their two cents to make THEIR ten cents.

Notarealsignguy

It has to be the pink area if the rule applies the same to all tenants. Here it is scaled to 15% with 3 areas with the slot next door
tenant calc.jpg

Notarealsignguy

If you stretch the anchor out to what you would assume would be the size of it and use the green, it looks overbearing. Like you would see in an old run down complex and the look that cleaner places try to avoid. I had it laid out but Corel crashed at the end while exporting it. Anyways, that is my 2 cents

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your illustration is most likely wrong. Those windows below your smaller sign are probably part of the door to the main area jutting out to the left. I don't see a door on that smaller side. It used to be, you still take the overall dimensions and fit it in the area the best way possible. Some people make out and others don't. Also, anchor stores will have an exception clause for their areas. So the rules are all gonna be willie nillie, just like out on the pylons.