• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Funny sign

unclebun

Saw this on social media. Purposeful?

307649447_10158621919305957_4395209120205386082_n.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday, I personally, lettered a front window for a customer. Had everything split up and put the copy down in two sections. Left side, then the right side.

After the initial first line with the name of the business, the second line was supposed to read...... Specializing in Head Lice Removal. I switched the two lines around and it read............ Lice Removal Specializing in Head. Got a call from the girl early this morning. She said they all had a good laugh and removed the word head. I told her I'd be in later today. I wonder which way would produce the most walk'in traffic ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Took a picture after they removed the head part, before I fixed it.........

head lice.jpg

ikarasu

The first picture reminds me of an install I saw last week - We were across the street doing a dozen or so window perfs... Went to lunch and I walked by this.

I couldn't believe they measured wrong and then just went around the corner to make it work. And then they must have had to do a reprint, and used the wrong color...and just left it up. Ontop of the splices in the mid of the window.... I feel like a cricut user did this install.

Shit happens, but you'd think they would have re-measured and re-printed and not left it up.... everyone makes mistakes, but jesus, I wouldn't let them leave this up even if it were free...surprised the store owner doesn't seem to mind :roflmao:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 182
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 192

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
The first picture reminds me of an install I saw last week - We were across the street doing a dozen or so window perfs... Went to lunch and I walked by this.

I couldn't believe they measured wrong and then just went around the corner to make it work. And then they must have had to do a reprint, and used the wrong color...and just left it up. Ontop of the splices in the mid of the window.... I feel like a cricut user did this install.

**** happens, but you'd think they would have re-measured and re-printed and not left it up.... everyone makes mistakes, but jesus, I wouldn't let them leave this up even if it were free...surprised the store owner doesn't seem to mind :roflmao:
I like the how they used scotch tape to hold it down.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Those lines are like 68" long and I'd rather cut them from right to left, then 6' into the roll for some 4" letters. As for the other questions.... again, I don't get into thier sh!t. Has nothing to do with signs or their cost.

ikarasu

50 cent a minute - you only charge $30 for labor an hour? That's the real travesty here!

Even our lowest paid employee is at around $20. After insurance / vacation pay / everything else, true cost is likely in the $27-28 range.

We bill at $75-100 an hour... Usually $100ish.

Some people don't get that time is money (not speaking about Gino, tbh I'd likely cut it in half to not waste material as well... Easier to apply smaller sections too!)

The window perf as an example. We double sided tape it into place and then apply it. The guy I was with bragged about how he did 12 windows using 1 piece of double sided tape. I told him the $2 in savings he just did probably cost $50 in labor with the carefully pulling / re applying the tape...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure you're saying that..... tongue in cheek, but it was 5 sections total..... the phone was all in one. Other than the mistake, it took a total of 4' ×14". About $2.50 worth of vinyl and tape. Taped them up at the shop, found the middles and when I got there drew on the 3 underlines and put them all on in about 15 minutes. Walked away $645 richer. Got the call the next day, ran the copy on a piece of scrap and on my way home had it changed out in 10 minutes. Sh!t happens, but when ya get your price, it should take in account for small things lIke this. The place happened to be about a 10 minute drive and basically on my way home. Only a few blocks outta my way.

50 cents a minute ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It always takes Gino 5 minutes and $5 worth of vinyl... no matter what the job.

**** happens, but you'd think they would have re-measured and re-printed and not left it up.... everyone makes mistakes, but jesus, I wouldn't let them leave this up even if it were free...surprised the store owner doesn't seem to mind :roflmao:
Looks to me that they changed the name of the business and the owner was too cheap so they just replaced "Unique"

ikarasu

I don't like to do super large cut vinyl all at once. If it's 6 ft long and 3 lines, even if I were to cut it into one piece odds are once it's taped up, I'd cut each row of text into its own section and apply them one line at a time. I'm small, 5'8... To me that looks like I'd be on at least a step ladder to put it up, trying to do one super large piece I'd likely end up wrinkling it.

I'd likely do it in 2-3 pieces -

Lice snat and all the text below it on one piece... Then there's empire and all below on a second piece. Lay it out on the table using the double t to align it all... Throw a piece of green tape, cut the green tape at the join.mm then you just need to know where to center the left piece.. use the green tape join for alignment and throw the second piece on quickly.

Less chance of screwing up a huge graphic... No wasted material, and super easy to align.

Not that this was supposed to be a how would you do the decal... But just pointing it out because I'd do it in multiples as well, it was tongue in cheek if that comment was directed at me.

There's millions of ways to get a job done, why fumble and do it a way you're not used to in order to save a few bucks, whether it's time you're saving or material. The old saying save a penny to lose a dollar comes to mind. (which is what the dumbass installer who saves his tape for 20 tape ups is doing, but can't ever understand!)

ikarasu

It always takes Gino 5 minutes and $5 worth of vinyl... no matter what the job.

Looks to me that they changed the name of the business and the owner was too cheap so they just replaced "Unique"
The places name is Thai wellness massage. The front of the store is a little better than the side .. the front also has "unique accupuncture" on the window, so maybe they just spelled it wrong on the side and spliced it in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220930-185842_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220930-185842_Maps.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 143

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, I'd like to see someone do an 18"×78", three separate lines of copy all in one shot quickly. Your frickin' taping up in the shop and then putting all your marks and tape all over the place would waste so much time at both places,, it'd be dumb.. I just weeded, taped and drew three predetermined lines and had it done in no time,, cept for the error, which didn't sound bad when reading it )))))))))