• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

G-Mail Alternative

rjssigns

To be clear I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this kind of thing. Might be something obvious that I already have and will work.
Gmail has decided to go subscription and their "free" option looks difficult to get. Sign up on a waiting list, wait for the overlords to contact you, blah blah blah.
Yeah I know "it's the cost of doing business" just shut up and pay the monthly, but I don't want to.

Already have enough monthly vampires and don't feel like adding another account I have to pay for and manage.
So what are the free alternatives that would work with my desktop and iPhone?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you have a website, check with your hosting provider. A lot of the time they will throw in an email for free or cheap.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have Yahoo but there's a couple free ones through my website also. For some reason I can't get my yahoo and Outlook to sync decent which irritates me...might want to check on that kind of thing also if you use Outlook.

netsol

I have Yahoo but there's a couple free ones through my website also. For some reason I can't get my yahoo and Outlook to sync decent which irritates me...might want to check on that kind of thing also if you use Outlook.
there are some involved articles that will get yahoo working properly with outlook.
yahoo is intended to run as a web based service and as a result they made some poor engineering decisions

WildWestDesigns

Most websites hosting services have email services apart of what you get (even the bare bones one, unless during modern day economics that has changed for new clients).

I would try to use the ones that are linked to your website when it comes to business emails and that just gives a more professional appearance.

I would migrate away from MS products (I know the OS isn't feasible for a lot of people, but their individual programs I wouldn't use unless there is just no alternative for you). For the email client, Thunderbird is still decent (even though outdated without using a 3rd party theming, I really dislike GTK based apps)

If one wants to use a traditionally installed program, I would setup your emails as an IMAP versus something like POP (some of your free emails only allow for POP unless you pay for extra "stuff" and that also includes the ability to use IMAP). That way emails aren't downloaded to the desktop/laptop/phone computer and not viewable on the web if you are going to view your emails using the browser (for whatever reason). Or using another computer with another install of whatever email client you are using.

Yahoo, for me, is kinda on the way out. If able to, I would migrate away from yahoo (could always forward it to another email in the meantime), but to be honest, I'm surprised that it's still around. I remember it fondly for the late 90s thru the early aughts, but after that, it doesn't seem to be what it once was.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm going to suck it up and pay. If I were more techie I would look for an alternative.
I never liked Outlook and Gmail is fairly convenient.

rjssigns

Most websites hosting services have email services apart of what you get (even the bare bones one, unless during modern day economics that has changed for new clients).

I would try to use the ones that are linked to your website when it comes to business emails and that just gives a more professional appearance.

I would migrate away from MS products (I know the OS isn't feasible for a lot of people, but their individual programs I wouldn't use unless there is just no alternative for you). For the email client, Thunderbird is still decent (even though outdated without using a 3rd party theming, I really dislike GTK based apps)

If one wants to use a traditionally installed program, I would setup your emails as an IMAP versus something like POP (some of your free emails only allow for POP unless you pay for extra "stuff" and that also includes the ability to use IMAP). That way emails aren't downloaded to the desktop/laptop/phone computer and not viewable on the web if you are going to view your emails using the browser (for whatever reason). Or using another computer with another install of whatever email client you are using.

Yahoo, for me, is kinda on the way out. If able to, I would migrate away from yahoo (could always forward it to another email in the meantime), but to be honest, I'm surprised that it's still around. I remember it fondly for the late 90s thru the early aughts, but after that, it doesn't seem to be what it once was.
Going to talk to the wife and have her contact our hosting service. She manages those accounts so I have no clue what they do or do not include. IIRC we use GoDaddy

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Going to talk to the wife and have her contact our hosting service. She manages those accounts so I have no clue what they do or do not include. IIRC we use GoDaddy
I think your domaine through godaddy should have an email with it. at least one included, you may have to pay for additional email accounts.

joshGN

I think your domaine through godaddy should have an email with it. at least one included, you may have to pay for additional email accounts.

The free email thru Godaddy died last year....I had always used that and now they have Microsoft...I switched mine to G-Suite/Google.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm going to suck it up and pay. If I were more techie I would look for an alternative.
I never liked Outlook and Gmail is fairly convenient.

Same here, just reluctantly signed up for the forced/paid version of Google Workspace. I'm pretty sure we won't actually be billed for a few months so that will give us time to eliminate any unnecessary or redundant email addresses.

No real added features other than 30GB of storage instead of the old 15GB, but it is nice because I was sick of getting those "inbox is full" reminders!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I used to use Yahoo and it was garbage. Lost emails / delays. I looked into either a subscription to Gmail or Microsoft and decided on Microsoft. I got a Microsoft 365 Business Standard subscription that I think is only $160/year. It gives you all the Office apps plus e-mail hosting with your custom domain. You don't have to use whoever your domain is registered with. I find domain providers e-mail services to be really lacking. You can sign up for Microsoft and then you log into your domain control panel and "point" your e-mail server to Microsoft. They walk you though how to do all this. I like Outlook WAY better than some web interface e-mail client. You can customize the views / and the app in may more ways than a web interface. I switched a few years ago and the service has been flawless. Their phone app is good too.

If you are used to Gmail though, you might just stick with it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Same here, just reluctantly signed up for the forced/paid version of Google Workspace. I'm pretty sure we won't actually be billed for a few months so that will give us time to eliminate any unnecessary or redundant email addresses.

No real added features other than 30GB of storage instead of the old 15GB, but it is nice because I was sick of getting those "inbox is full" reminders!
The only thing that rubbed me wrong was having to pay for seats. I assume that means each email address that you have? We have around 5 but they are just to keep stuff organized a little better.

WildWestDesigns

I have to wonder if y'all are looking at budget domain providers. All of the emails that I am allowed have infinity for allocation. And I am paying less than what was quoted for 365 Standard.

As to backing up, some actually have the ability to archive into PDFs (fully indexed, including embedding attachments). I have been known to archive my emails, so that does also keep from getting "full inbox", so I had to confirm what my memory allocation was.