• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Georgia state of emergency?

MikePro

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110110/us_nm/us_weather_3

2 inches of snow kills 1 and closes businesses... apparently its also illegal to drive in these "conditions"? LOL!

I went to UW-madison and they NEVER closed school for snow. Once had to walk to class after 4 FEET of snow dropped overnight... skipped class for the rest of the day and we played drinking games in the dorms: since my dorm room overlooked a major intersection that was covered in ice and we drank everytime we saw someone slip, or a car/bike/moped slid through the stoplight. I think the youtube video is still up somewhere.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I was born and went to school in Michigan... unless it was so deep the bus driver couldn't dig out the bus - we went to school.

that's just crazy.

webguru

I lived just outside Atlanta for a short period of time. Just a little bit of snow and ice shuts down the entire city. A 30 minute drive home one night took me over three hours and there were hundreds of cars and trucks that had run off the highways.

MikePro

granted, in the northern states we expect having to deal with snow and the city has trucks/plows/salt/etc. to handle it... and drivers are used to driving in winter conditions.
apologies if i've offended anyone in the south for laughing at their misfortune.

gabagoo

sometimes for whatever reason, up here the plows seem to wait a little to long to get out and it is absolute KAOS (shatcker lol) to drive in without the salt.

gnemmas

My blasted sign is delayed

QUOTE:
I thought I would give you a "heads up" on what is going on here in Atlanta. It looks as if we might be having a huge snow storm come in Sunday night into Monday. They are predicting nearly a foot of snow in some places which is unheard of for Atlanta. So, I am hoping the freight truck can pick your signs up, but it might be a couple of days later going out. Sorry about that. Us southerners don't know how to drive in the snow and ice! I will keep you posted.

DaVinci Signs
Jasper, GA 30143
888-444-5661

Well, got to explain to my customer that due to the rain this weekend, paint is not drying for few more days.

rcook99

I laugh my A$$ off everytime I watch all the lifetime southerners even attempt to drive on snow or ice.

Living in upstate NY for the last 40+ years with an average snowfall of over 100":thumb: makes this look like a day we not even snowblow or shovel just drive to work and clean it up when we get home. Now if you travel about 20 minutes up the hill in snowmobile country there are a few places up there that average 300in. :omg: (25ft) a year.

DrSteveBrule

^ Sing it rcook!

I think the only thing that shuts us down in Upstate anymore is Ice Storms...and those are just plane nasty!

GP

Before you start hucking snowballs at those of us living down here - I recall a recent Sunday night game in Philly that was played on a Tuesday.

Pat Whatley

In the south closing everything when it snows has NOTHING to do with safety or being able to drive. It has to do with the fact that winter in Alabama lasts about three weeks and we get snow about once every five years. Everything closes so we can throw snowballs and build snowmen. It'll be 70 degrees again in a couple of weeks.

WildWestDesigns

Driving in snow in is a whole lot different then trying to drive on ice too. I was born and raised in Dallas(well Plano actually, not many people know that town though, oddly enough) and we would get one good snow a year that would last a couple of days and then be gone, but it was the ice that got you. Particularly with all the interstate sections that are off the ground, that cold air getting beneath the road makes it just like driving over a bridge. Nasty.

Driving on the powdery stuff is nothing. Of course, it does help having 6 wheels. We got just 3 inches here, but still going right now as I look out the window of my computer room.

signswi

QUOTE:
I thought I would give you a "heads up" on what is going on here in Atlanta. It looks as if we might be having a huge snow storm come in Sunday night into Monday. They are predicting nearly a foot of snow in some places which is unheard of for Atlanta. So, I am hoping the freight truck can pick your signs up, but it might be a couple of days later going out. Sorry about that. Us southerners don't know how to drive in the snow and ice! I will keep you posted.

It's too bad the Falcons don't have an outdoor stadium. Go Pack!