• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Composer alternative

tamipeab

My department is looking for an alternative to Gerber Composer. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are looking for a cost effective, user-friendly software substitute. The software is run on a Dell OptiPlex GX260 Intel Pentium 4 w/ 1 GB RAM and Windows XP. We import AI CS5 files remotely into Composer Version 2 to process and output them to Gerber GSPPlot. From there, the info is sent to a GerberEDGE FX thermal transfer printer and the foils are disbursed onto lexan. Then 3M Adhesive Transfer Tape 467MP is applied and the piece is cut in a Gerber enVision 375 plotter. We would like to be able to use the same materials, printer, and plotter. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jillbeans

Corel.
Make sure you get a version that works with XP.
I use X5. I started with Composer (GA6.2 back in '98)
I could do a lot of things with it, but it doesn't hold a candle to Corel.
I use a Graphtek because my 4E finally died.
Love.....Jill

Matt-Tastic

The only other software that works with the Gerber printing system is Flexi. You can run Gerber plotters from most anything under the sun that's generic enough, but the EDGE FX is designed to run as part of the Gerber Matched System (Composer/EDGE/EnVision).

I don't think Gerber 2.0 will run the EDGE FX, but if you are in fact running OMEGA 2.0, and upgrade to 5.0 may solve the problems you may be having.

Speaking of, you never mentioned why you want to switch from the Gerber Omega Software. Many improvements have happened in the 7+ years since OMEGA 2.0 came out, and 5.0 may alleviate your problems. Other issues may be elsewhere, and new software wouldn't solve them.

Marlene

Speaking of, you never mentioned why you want to switch from the Gerber Omega Software. Many improvements have happened in the 7+ years since OMEGA 2.0 came out, and 5.0 may alleviate your problems. Other issues may be elsewhere, and new software wouldn't solve them.

2.0 is stoneage tech. Omega 5 is great and you might want to upgrade instead of going with all new

signage

The Three software that I know work with Gerber Edges and plotters is Gerber Omega, SignLab and Flexi. I would also say I would choose them in that order! Omega 2 is old, Omega 5 is light years ahead!