• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge on Win 7

signsbt

1 of our stores is having issues getting the Gerber Edge to run on Win 7 with the old cable that used to work for Win XP. How do they get it to run on Win 7?

Denyse

SignBurst PCs

They can work together, but you may have to jump through a few hoops. We just went through this with one of our customers.

WildWestDesigns

If you have Win 7 Pro, you should be able to run a virtual drive with XP and that should be a fix. I haven't even had to use XP compatibility so I haven't tried that out for anything that I run....yet.

signage

If my memory is correct Tony has stated that it will work, but you need Omega 4 and possibly an adapter from Gerber.

Molenbeek

You can definitely print to the Edge from Windows 7 but you will need to be at Omega 4.0 with the revision on their website at www.gspinc.com and use the USB to parallel adapter they sell.

Tony Teveris

You will need Omega 4.0 w/ Service Pack 1 (build 15) If you have the older USB to Parallel cable that will work otherwise you will need the new USB to Parallel cable. We have many people using this solution.

The reason for the new USB to Parallel and new software is: the older usb to par cable longer is manufactured, the older Warp9 driver for the parallel port which provided the data rates needed is no longer available and for the 64 bit OS a whole new set of "signed" drivers needed to be developed.

GB2

Old Member
Tony, could you please be a little more specific:

You will need Omega 4.0 w/ Service Pack 1 (build 15) If you have the older USB to Parallel cable that will work otherwise you will need the new USB to Parallel cable. We have many people using this solution.

The reason for the new USB to Parallel and new software is: the older usb to par cable longer is manufactured, (Does this mean the older USB to Parallel cable is NO longer manufactured?)

the older Warp9 driver for the parallel port which provided the data rates needed is no longer available and for the 64 bit OS a whole new set of "signed" drivers needed to be developed. (Does this mean that the Edge will not work on a 64 bit system?
Does this mean that there will be another new USB to Parallel cable when the Edge will run on a 64 bit system? If I bought a USB to Parallel cable now, will it be good for the forseeable future?)

Tony Teveris

The older USB to Parallel cable we offered is no longer manufacture. The chipset was the key part and they do not make it any more. If you have this cable it can still be used but you need the Omega 4 / SP1 (Build 15). We now offer a new USB to Parallel cable for Edge I/II users if they need one.

The new USB to Parallel cable is for both the Edge I and II models and can be used on a Windows 7 system, either 32 or 64 bit. You can buy the cable now but I know we have bought quite a few cables for stock.

NOTE: You MUST purchase the cable from Gerber, there is no guarantee if you get a cable from some where else. It all has to do with the USB chipsets.

ewerk

I have just discovered that my parallel to parallel cable doesn't work with Omega 4.0 in Windows 7 64-bit.

Will it work with a Windows 7 32-bit system?