• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Sabre 408

Signworks_WI

Our sign shop is looking at purchasing a Gerber Sabre 408, we just recently purchased the Ion X and are now looking to branch out even more. Right now we have a lot of possible uses in the shop, and can see other uses to try and up sell to the customers. Anyone have one or have used one? Any thoughts on it. We thought about the M series but a little out of our price range at this time. We are going to look at one tomorrow and I have some questions I have prepared for that visit, but am just wondering about anyone thoughts!

Thanks so much!

The Equipment Guy

Excellent machine, nothing bad to say about them other than do not ever consider a tool changer, but otherwise a great machine.

The vinyl cut blade is a waste of time too, routers are just not cut out for vinyl cutting.

The V-carve bits are a bit pricey, make sure they though some in if you do get 3D autocarve.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Craig

Dropout

Did you buy the 408?

I've had one for almost 2 years. It's a pretty decent machine once you get to know it's quirks.

signdog

We've had ours for over 8 years. No trouble so far. A real reliable, accurate workhorse. You will need 3 Phase power or a Phase converter. Buy one with a vacuum table and at least a 10 HP pump. We have the mist option, but find cutting solid aluminum is just too messy. Buy one with a "spindle", not a "router". They take up a fair bit of space and are noisy, but I wouldn't be without it...
sabre.jpg

Pacific Sign

We have one and it's a great workhorse. No problem's so far (we've had it for just over 6 years). I highly recommend it. If you have any questions or problem's down the road, I'd be happy to help you out.

johnnysigns

Total workhorse, but the lack of a tool changer and no crossover between the Mseries knives is an issue for us. For what it does it's a pretty solid setup though. If we were in the market for one now I'd look at something totally different personally.

Signworks_WI

We haven't purchased one yet, looking for a deal on a used one. Been doing some research and found we didn't have the space, we have recently expanded a bit with the idea that we will have one one day hopefully soon, so if anyone hears about a used one! We woudl be interested!

Other than cutting shapes and the normal projects what other projects have you used this pieced of equipment for?

Thanks!

robwaterman

I've made furniture with it. Shelves, tables, desks, chairs, Cut plywood, board lumber, MDF, 3mm komatex cut with the 90degree autocarve bit, a 5/32nd bit and some PVC cement lets you build all sorts of cool product prototypes. that can be folded and set into one another.

RSC

Anyone running ProfileLab to drive their Sabre?
Having trouble getting it setup on our 408.

Dropout

Be careful with G code on the Sabre. While it will run reasonably well, there are some odd things, for instance it won't do a simultaneous G02 or G03 and a Z move.

I have some nice slots cut in my table from playing with it. :)

What firmware version are you running?

Inspire

Helo Dropout
We are running Gerber Omega on the 408. Im thinking of running Artcamm or Vectric on the Gerber 408. What are your thoughts for v carving and 3d machining.:smile:

Keith Jenicek

We run the Gerber Composer & Artpath programs to operate our 408. Ditto Signdog.

We also tape a piece of paper to the vaccuum. It will flap when running. It's hard to hear it running with all the noise and ear protection.

Dropout

Helo Dropout
We are running Gerber Omega on the 408. Im thinking of running Artcamm or Vectric on the Gerber 408. What are your thoughts for v carving and 3d machining.:smile:

ArtCAM will work but it's pricey. Vetric supposedly won't but I think it will. I have a PP for Vectric but haven't tried it yet.

ArtCAM has it's limitations (at least 8.0) as well. It doesn't handle tool offsets like Artpath so it can be interesting to cut out whatever 3d model you've machined.

I'm running Artpath 5.0 and for anything that it will do, it does it fine. It will not do 3d work though and the nesting is limited to one sheet and one layer which doesn't work for me at all. I regularly run jobs that are 5 or 6 layers and up to 20 sheets of material.

Brad Cairns

Be careful with G code on the Sabre. While it will run reasonably well, there are some odd things, for instance it won't do a simultaneous G02 or G03 and a Z move.

I have some nice slots cut in my table from playing with it. :)

What firmware version are you running?

Hey it sounds like you really know this machine, I am desperately trying to find the G codes and M-codes for the sabre 408 router so we can use different software... can you help in any respect with that ? I'm not so savvy with the inner workings of CNC machines... Thanks a million

nolanola

Hello.
we recently bought a Gerber Sabre 404 with the vacuum table and the spindle.
The spindle control box does not communicate with the router.
When I'm trying to turn the motor on from the keyboard it beeps and shows "I/0 spindle fault".
But the spindle starts from the "direct mode" (opposing to the remote mode).

Does anybody know how to troubleshoot that?

Thank you.

JaySea20

There is a little program called artspool that is made by artcam. It will allow you to send G code to a 408. I have succesfully routed 3d with it.