• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Users ... Reviews Wanted

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Do you get tired of seeing posts wanting to know "What's the best plotter, printer, software, fill in the blank?". The new Signs 101 Product Reviews is aimed at developing an answer to this constantly asked question. But we need your help to develop this into a useful resource.

If you have direct experience with Gerber printers, plotters or software, please take a few minutes and tell us what you think by reviewing the products you know about.

Here's a link to the products that have been started so far. If there are missing products you'd like to review, just let us know and we'll add it into the mix.

G

Ginger

seems to be a theme

My purchasing the EdgeFX is without a doubt my biggest mistake in 10 years of sign making.

iSign

my Gerber Edge2 was the second best investment I ever made at the time I made it... my first being a run down old signshop (paid the same price for both & they are both still making me money!)

threeputt

I've made money with my older Edge all along. It's not used nearly as much anymore because of the large format digital printer, but as we speak I'm getting ready to run two spot colors onto Chrome (Edge ready) material and there's simply no other equipment in my shop that will do this task.

It has it's place.

Rydaddy

I've made money with my older Edge all along. It's not used nearly as much anymore because of the large format digital printer, but as we speak I'm getting ready to run two spot colors onto Chrome (Edge ready) material and there's simply no other equipment in my shop that will do this task.

It has it's place.
DITTO.

I once owned a gerber Jetster. I know... :banghead:
The most profitable pieces of equipment in our shop are a pair of Envision 375's. Cut miles and miles of vinyl with a Odyssey 48xp. But that Jetster, we just plain got spanked. I long for the days where cut vinyl was so profitable. Not so any more.

hydo1

My purchasing the EdgeFX is without a doubt my biggest mistake in 10 years of sign making.

You've gotta be kidding me. If you can't make money with an Edge, then you must be doing something seriously wrong.

Our store has had an Edge 1, Edge 2 and now an EdgeFX and we still use it everyday and it still makes us tons of money.

Kevin T

If memory serves when the FX was first launched and for some time afterward it was a nightmare. Print issues, registrations issues etc... Since then I believe most if not all of the issues have been resolved.

Our Edge 2/Envision combo makes great money every day.

Billct2

If my Edge were to die I would replace it with another. One of the Best Investmenst I ever made.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I have used Graphix Advantage since it's inception, about 1991. I found Omega 2.0 on Craigs List recently and it was nice to get away from Win98. I think it's the best software for node editing. I've never been happy with it's inability to display layered colors. So I use Corel for that.

gen3

After working for the last 15 years in other shops that have owned Gerbers, I'll offer the following: GSx - nice plotter if you to do is a million decals... Edge - noisy little creature but the quality is good. Pair it up with a GSx and you can make some serious coin... UV2 - for the dollars paid for this thing, my old boss could have bought 2 new shop trucks and still had enough left over to pay cash for a 54" printer and a 54" laminator. Our printer-jockey spent more time cleaning, fixing or waiting for the tech support guy to show up than he ever did printing...

When I opened my own shop again, Gerber was the last thing I wanted to look at.

Mick

WrapSpot

Gerber Solara Ion X

I have a Gerber Solara Ion X. I love what it can do when it works. I'm more disappointed with Gerber Service.

There is no doubt that flatbed printing is the way of the future. I would never be in the sign business without a flatbed printer again.

It is probably best that Gerber abandoned this category if they can't properly support it. I think they need bulletproof products.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have a Gerber Solara Ion X. I love what it can do when it works. I'm more disappointed with Gerber Service.

There is no doubt that flatbed printing is the way of the future. I would never be in the sign business without a flatbed printer again.

It is probably best that Gerber abandoned this category if they can't properly support it. I think they need bulletproof products.

Just to be clear, Gerber discontinued all flatbed printers 14 months ago in April 2011. Here's a link to a discussion of that event. So the used Solara you purchased 9 months ago was already on it's way to being unsupported.

Gerber Scientific Products was acquired 11 months ago by Vector Capital. Here's a link to an article about that.

Stefan

Running an edge 2 combined with the enVision 375 for many years. They just run and run (the edge 2 has more than 72,000 minutes on it so far), and have paid for themselves many times over.

Superb for the type of jobs it's intended for.