• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting Better Images Out of Word Documents

Rooster

I don't mind when people embed files in word docs anymore. The new docx format is just a glorified .zip file. I just change the extension from docx to zip and decompress the file and grab the original file from the folder it creates when it decompresses. I don't even have to open word.

binki

I don't mind when people embed files in word docs anymore. The new docx format is just a glorified .zip file. I just change the extension from docx to zip and decompress the file and grab the original file from the folder it creates when it decompresses. I don't even have to open word.

nice trick. i will have to try that with the next one we get like that.

...it looks totally MTV

'That ain't workin', that's the way you do it, money for nothing and your chicks for free'

GypsyGraphics

A client just now email me a dog photo place in a Word doc and i immediately thought of Rooster's post. I gotta admit, i didn't see the advantage of changing the extension to Zip, other than not having to use Word (which is a pretty good reason alone).

Change the extension, open this Zip and my first thought was "what's the deal with all these files, where's the photo?"

attachment.php

View attachment 62238

I find the JPG photo a bit burried... okay cool.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE....

I'm curious to know if there any difference in the image quality in the JPG vs copying the image from Word and pasting it into Photoshop.

This side by side comparison in Photoshop, with no adjustments to the file.
the top image is from the .docx
the bottom image is the JPG

Get a load of this.... there's a tremendous difference in the image quality!!!!! Zippity Do Da Day!!!!

attachment.php

View attachment 62239

AWESOME TIP ROOSTER!!!!!! :U Rock:

Attachments

• FilesScreenshot.jpg
    FilesScreenshot.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 318
  • ImageComparison.jpg
    ImageComparison.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 308

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I missed the folder in there called "media". All the jpeg components of the doc file are contained in there. My sample docx was full of cruddy art so nowhere as good as gg's

Fred and Rooster. This needs to be be made as a new post in the tips section. I don't have the latest version of Microsoft office so I use openoffice. It does not always open docx files as well as MSOffice since it is opensource software but all I ever care about are the graphics within

This is a good tip for others with the same problems or as gypsy has discovered

AUTO-FX

This is fantastic information! I had no idea you could just change the extension! Does this work with others?

GypsyGraphics

Fred and Rooster. This needs to be be made as a new post in the tips section....

This is a good tip for others with the same problems or as gypsy has discovered

I agree!!! Rooster's tip should be it's own in it's own "tips & tricks" thread.

I still can't get over what a difference changing the extension made in the image quality!

rwinninger

Great Tip
Here is one I use when I get a file and the fonts are not outlined
Open file without font

1. Create a new file, any size will do.

2. Click on File -> Place and select the pdf file. The dialog box will show link and template. Checkmark on Link but DO NOT check template. Click OK

3. The file should display with the bounding box around it. Now click on object -> flatten transparency in the menu. You will get another dialog box to come up. Make sure raster/vector balance is set to 100% vectors. Also check "convert all text to outlines". All other checked boxes are not of great concern when it is the missing font you are after. I have attached a screen shot of the "flatten transparency settings. Click OK.

4. YOU'RE DONE! You now have a pdf file and you did not need the fonts in order to open. IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that this does not help you out if you want to edit the text. If that is needed, then you must buy the font. This simply allows you to open up pdfs without having the necessary fonts installed.

5. The only thing left may be a bounding box that you can remove. In Illustrator, I click on the direct selection tool (shortcut A on keyboard). Drag across the bounding box only. Hit delete twice, and that is now gone.

mark in tx

Awesome tip for the docx files!

Yes, there is a big difference as Gyspy Graphics noted, I'm pretty sure all programs in the Office suite output at 72 dpi by default

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
what I've noticed about MS Office, is that it upsamples bitmap images when displaying them (and often, they'll end up looking smoother and maybe slightly blurier), but if you cut and paste the image, you'll get the original un-upsampled image that is stored in the file.