• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting involved but what machine!?!?

SteveHem

Hello Chaps (and Chicks) Steve here from Essex, UK.

As a skateboard shop owner for the last 20 years ive had alot of pretty amazing stickers go through my hands. Ive had tons of my own shop and team designs printed by various places over the years and always loved getting them done and seeing them come to life, buzz never fades..

Now business is slow ive decided to get a sticker print setup as i know lots of other shops and skateboard companies would supply me with plenty of orders let alone being able to produce my own designs in house..

Skateboard stickers have always been top end quality with most being transparent, diecut and laminated so what ever setup i get needs to be pretty hot.

1) Speed is not massively important.
2) White is a must as the best stickers seem to have a white base coat on transparent so the colours pop when stuck on all colour surfaces.
3) Quality print is obviously a must as the stickers are mostly 10cm max and very detailed.
4) Dont think a super wide machine is necessary, maybe 20-40".
5) Cost - Im happy to go the used route as funds are limited, maybe got £4000.

Ive been looking into Rolands mostly especially BN-20s, VS-300i, SP-300V and even Gerber Edge setups. My brain is hurting as its all i can think about and the wife is getting sick of it already haha..

I realise i will need a laminator and possibly a separate plotter but just happy to get the printer to start.

What do peeps suggest that suits my needs? (P.S i know my budget is shit)

Thanks for listening to my dribble..

rjssigns

Find the dealer with a good tech in your town and go see what they have. Trust me when I say buy local, even if it costs more.
As far as buying used don't do it. Good way to buy someone else's boat anchor.

greysquirrel

Avoid the bn-20 instant regret after you purchase. It’s just too slow.
Any other Roland works. Define your budget and you will find a workable solution. A CB local reseller is key for additional training at install. There is a pretty big show in Vegas next week you may want to attend.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Avoid the bn-20 instant regret after you purchase. It’s just too slow.
Any other Roland works. Define your budget and you will find a workable solution. A CB local reseller is key for additional training at install. There is a pretty big show in Vegas next week you may want to attend.
The op is in the UK.

SteveHem

I think i need to up my budget and look at a VS-540I, can get a well looked after one for £4500.

What plotter should i be chasing guys?

CanuckSigns

A word of warning, the white ink in solvent machines is not opaque and it's a bit crap, You want a UV machine to get a good white. However white ink of any kind is problematic if you aren't running it all the time, it tends to clog heads if not used at least a few times a week.

I would start with baby steps, find someone locally who can handle production until you determine if this is a solid business or not.

SteveHem

A word of warning, the white ink in solvent machines is not opaque and it's a bit crap, You want a UV machine to get a good white. However white ink of any kind is problematic if you aren't running it all the time, it tends to clog heads if not used at least a few times a week.

I would start with baby steps, find someone locally who can handle production until you determine if this is a solid business or not.
Yeah that is a worry! Every youtube i see has the white cut out, gotta be a nightmare.

My mate mentioned thermal style sublimation printers might be an option, Gerber or Summa perhaps? See these going cheap in the U.K.

CanuckSigns

The thermal printers print white really well, but the image quality is very poor, not what you want for vibrant skateboard decals.