• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GG vs Sledgehammer -or- if i had a hammer i'd...

GypsyGraphics

if i had a hammer, i'd hammer in the morning, i'd hammer in the evening.... all over this HAND.

2 minutes after impact...
attachment.php

2 days later...
attachment.php

2 months later, when asked what happen to your hand i'd say...
"the first rule of Fight Club is... do not talk about fight club"
attachment.php

although the day i took this pic i was saying "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

Attachments

• HammerHand_minute2.jpg
    HammerHand_minute2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 119
  • HammerHand_day2.jpg
    HammerHand_day2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 121
  • FightClub_month2.jpg
    FightClub_month2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 102

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What's more impressive was that she didn't cry. She walked away from it like nothing happened, not a peep - probably because there were a bunch of burly, bo-hunk, construction men around. Prior to the incident, I'm pretty sure she was thinking that since she had a hard hat on, and her work boots, she was safe...

I was just thinking, I was pushing back shrubs minutes before while she was swinging that sledgehammer and thought it was a bad idea... Look at my pristine hand, it always looks like this because Gigi likes to get in on the action and hoards tools (well, it was her hammer)... she saved my life that day... well, at least my hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 108

GypsyGraphics

this was work related, hurt like hell, but still... it was funny

i'd have posted this in the Humor Forum, but it look like there isn't one any more.
geeez people where's your sense of humor?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Accidents happen. Ya gotta learn to be aware of your surroundings, especially when wielding a sledgehammer near your other hand.

I wouldn't go too near any saws or electrical tools if I were you, the hand tools seem to be more than enough for you.

Did ya ever have it checked for unseen damage below the skin ??

GypsyGraphics

Accidents happen. Ya gotta learn to be aware of your surroundings, especially when wielding a sledgehammer near your other hand.

i was aware of my surroundings.... i was surrounded by construction dudes and trying not to stand out.
(and i have this "i don't need no stinking help" stubborn streak... especially if i'm trying to blend in around a bunch of strangers)

but... there were too many obstacle, like having to straddle a trench and using my shoulder to hold back bushes that were in the way. anyway it was all going fine till the only way to reach was to hold the stake with my right hand.

i'm right handed, and apparently my left hand isn't accurate enough to be wielding a sledgehammer.

GypsyGraphics

I wouldn't go too near any saws or electrical tools if I were you, the hand tools seem to be more than enough for you.

Did ya ever have it checked for unseen damage below the skin ??

but i just got this cool rotating tool bench set up!
(no... never got my hand checked. i could move my finger fine and while it hurt, nothing felt broken)

attachment.php

Attachments

• CoolTool.jpg
    CoolTool.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 115

Gino

Premium Subscriber
i was aware of my surroundings.... i was surrounded by construction dudes and trying not to stand out.
(and i have this "i don't need no stinking help" stubborn streak... especially if i'm trying to blend in around a bunch of strangers)

I'll bet you showed them, huh ??

but... there were too many obstacle, like having to straddle a trench and using my shoulder to hold back bushes that were in the way. anyway it was all going fine till the only way to reach was to hold the stake with my right hand.

Never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.

i'm right handed, and apparently my left hand isn't accurate enough to be wielding a sledgehammer.

Lucky for me, I'm ambidextrous. I can write with both hands and just about everything else. I still use precautions.

but i just got this cool rotating tool bench set up!
(no... never got my hand checked. i could move my finger fine and while it hurt, nothing felt broken)

Now that thing is neat, but you better wear a lotta protection........ :covereyes:

attachment.php

Please be careful from here-on-in and don't be macho. There's nothing cool about a guy..... or a girl doing something silly or stoopid and getting hurt.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
pi$$es me off that she has more tools than me...

Ahhhh, don't give me that. That hand of yours doesn't look like it gets near hand tools..... anyway, not in 20 years or so. It's soft looking. Can't fool us, she does all the work. :Big Laugh

Rick

Ahhhh, don't give me that. That hand of yours doesn't look like it gets near hand tools..... anyway, not in 20 years or so. It's soft looking. Can't fool us, she does all the work. :Big Laugh

I WAS ON GIGI'S MONKEY BARS (scaffolding) 3 WEEKS AGO APPLYING GRAPHICS ON A TRUCK!!! Okay, she does all the work :(

How my hands are soft and supple?

[video=youtube;H7BvEldVEHU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7BvEldVEHU[/video]

Rick

What I like about working with Gigi is that she's not afraid of getting her hands dirty, even with her french manicure. To be honest, it's difficult for me to hold a 10lb sledgehammer all day, especially when I have to hammer with the side I had a stroke with. Can't get a firm grip and feels like it weighs 50 pounds. Anyway, I'm on the phone with our client, she takes over, and while I'm watching her trying to get at a weird angle, bam, she hits her hand. Don't think it's stupid, lame, silly or dumb, stuff like that happens all the time on a job site. Now I could have sent a young dude to pound the stakes, but we were still responsible for marking off the area to stay behind the property line... imagine installing 8 monument signs in the wrong place, that would be 10 hours of driving, and extra hours with no assurance that it would be correct, so use old folks had to do it.

She actually is adept at using tools. Otherwise she would't have tried it. Just one of those things... she still kept working after she sat down for a while. She tuff'd out the rest of the day and drove 2 1/2 hours back to the office. Anyway, when I was fabricating and installing, I practically grinded my finger off trying to remove mounting bolts, slipped into a deep footing after being nudged by another worker and was almost impaled by re-bar, fell off a ladder 20 feet when my co-worker let go of the ladder cuz my boss was to cheap to rent a lift... it happens.

I don't question anyones abilities, especially at our age. It's not that hard to pound stakes. When we go shopping for tools and she picks up a huge wrench with that devilish grin, I'm thinking, how can make use of a big a$$ pipe wrench to install a sign... she's probably going to be the one to tighten the bolt down (with the proper tool) but she'll walk around with the big wrench or sledgehammer because she likes big wrenches and sledgehammers. (she'll have a hard hat and construction boots on)

Attachments

• she likes big wrenches and she can't deny....jpg
    she likes big wrenches and she can't deny....jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 77

Craig Sjoquist

Good for you Gigi, women that do for themselves are awesome, sorry about the hand but I thought the Fight Club was better story lol.
Had all kinds of visions going my head.
Oh when ya take those hot pictures of holding a big tool, actually be doing something the correct way, they look so much better, lol.

skyhigh

Ouchhhhh!!!! Glad to see you had no lasting damage, and you're healing nicely.

I remember doing the exact same thing back about 12 years ago. I was installing 5' x 4' signs on the light poles at a local mall. These were attached to the poles with stainless steel strapping, and when completed, you would need to hammer the banding over the little connector piece. (good explanation....little connector piece). The signs were being installed about 20 ft up, from out of the bucket truck.

Anyways, I'm finishing up the last of 6 when the slight mishap occurred. The nice part was, it was about 7pm and the temp was about 5 above zero. When the fingers are frozen, it adds a whole new level to the pain. LOL

ps. I think I did shed a little frozen tear that evening.

GypsyGraphics

And where did you get that? I would like to see more photos of it. I need to clean and organize my shop better, and I think something like that would fit the bill nicely.

if i can find the plans for this tonight, i'll start a new thread tomorrow with the plans and photos. it really is a nice little space saving set-up.

but for now... here's two versions, one showing how it's designed to make great use of a small corner space.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tool_Carousel.jpg
    Tool_Carousel.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 97
  • tight_corner.jpg
    tight_corner.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 83

GypsyGraphics

She actually is adept at using tools. Otherwise she would't have tried it. Just one of those things... she still kept working after she sat down for a while. She tuff'd out the rest of the day and drove 2 1/2 hours back to the office.

Good for you Gigi, women that do for themselves are awesome, sorry about the hand but I thought the Fight Club was better story lol.

it wasn't that i didn't taking the time to do it right, as gino suggested... so thank you both for your posts.
i'm a hard worker, pull my own weight and still have to deal with people who laugh at me the minute i put my hardhat on.

i get it though... a short, old gal in a tool belt, makes for a good "walks into a bar" joke.
i prefer to have a sense of humor about it rather than a chip on my shoulder.