• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question gluing sintra to a wooden frame

Johnny Best

I would have dadoed a slot for the wood frame for the Sintra. and put lexel in the slot and brad nailed it together.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 78

netsol

I too am curious as to what the look is that netsol is going for...
we are doing a bunch of these, for a large, long time client (of my consulting business, not my sign business, which is relatively new to me) however, many of the client locations are barely bigger than a phone booth, and have no room for a 2 ft x 6 ft suspended sign. we are resizing and redesigning the POS we are providing.
just for the record, we had our first meeting regarding this august 26, and i tried at the time to tell the people involved we would need multiple sizes.
we want something that can hang flat on a wall, not interfering with the view of security cameras. this will work for smaller locations.
i have been running wire & hanging things since prior to 1970.
obviously, for some reason, a simple "what is the best adhesive?" question should not have been asked. it's a mistake that won't be repeated.
my own instincts have worked well enough for over 50 years

Attachments

• suspendedsign.jpg
    suspendedsign.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 72

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, here's one for you and it's neither technical or hypothetical.

What or where lies your area of expertise ?? Just for future reference.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just saw the photo................

You might wanna entertain the idea of gatorboard instead of sintra. Instead of a wooden frame, the sign itself would act as the frame and you could reinforce the corners with a bit larger piece. At the top, perhaps just a piece of wood around the perimeter and attach your eye hooks or whatever into that. However, the eye hooks could easily go directly into the corner braces. Now you'd have all compatible components.

It remains 100% flat and needs very little bracing. You can either use hot glue or double sided tape and/or any wood glue you'd like.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
sorry, i thought i was being funny
i wasn't trying to offend anyone.
seems like i really stepped in it, this time, without intending to

so again, apologies,
No apologies needed. It was funny. Turns out I'm not that funny either. :doh:

netsol

Just do not track the sh!t you stepped in over the carpet. We just had it cleaned.
I have well over 50 years experience , repairing vriou electronic equipment.
I have been repairing wide format printers since NT4 was the operating system of choice.
I am a network consultant.
My previous business built and maintained tv stuio euipment for johnson & johnson, ford motor company ABB brown boveri. We maintained the studio equipment and cameras for the storer family in the pre-comcast days (part of why my opinion has some value in color accuracy quuestions)

netsol

I just saw the photo................

You might wanna entertain the idea of gatorboard instead of sintra. Instead of a wooden frame, the sign itself would act as the frame and you could reinforce the corners with a bit larger piece. At the top, perhaps just a piece of wood around the perimeter and attach your eye hooks or whatever into that. However, the eye hooks could easily go directly into the corner braces. Now you'd have all compatible components.

It remains 100% flat and needs very little bracing. You can either use hot glue or double sided tape and/or any wood glue you'd like.
Sintra is more "washable" in a convenience store environment. Things get greasy, especially if they have a grill

netsol

Sorry, johnny, thought i ws replying to gino question about my background.
Sometimes the ipad and i do not get along

netsol

We chose sintra because, one of our networ clients is KFC. In the morning, the places are VERY clean.
By 4 in the afternoon, the floors and flat surfaces are incredibly slippery, from oil,mist, etc

I assume sintra is easier to clean. Although there are probbly good wshable finishes on some of te "gator" products. Our client loves black sintra, an added plus

netsol

That may be helpful, we are developing some menu board designs as well.
One of our coffee supplier clients has a menu board with magnetic inserts. But it was so heavy you would
Want a chain hoist to move it around.