• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GO BUY A HUMIDIFIER, TODAY!

netsol

Premium Subscriber
you know, i always try to help when someone posts that they have a dead main board or a network or usb input. that's why i nag about good surge protectors.

this is the beginning of heating season, so it is the time of year everyone will be walking across the floor
and getting static shocks. if you feel the shock, that means you build up 2000 volts of static electricity.
it's time to add a humidifier to the area where you do your printing. it could easily save you $2000 for a new system board, plus several down days

i just packed up the dehumidifers for our warehouse, but there is really no off season. within a week or so , you will not have enough humidity to safely walk up and touch your machines, without the danger of static discharge damage

A WORD TO THE WISE

ANDY

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I had a customer who had a blown main board on his vinyl cutter. When I got there to install a new one, I was getting shocked left and right. I told him he needed a humidifier and he brushed it off. Needed another main board a month later.

Saturn

Aging Member
If you need something more than a static shock to tell you you might benefit from a humidifier, grab a couple cheap hydrometers and see if you're consistently at or below 40%. Pretty sure optimal printing is around 50%.

The Covid connection would probably have to do with keeping pollutants out of the air and keeping the air we breathe into our lungs as "healthy" as possible. I don't think the science quite agrees on dust and viruses having equivalent tendencies in dryer or wetter air, but that said, I do keep one handy in the shop. Keeps the dust down for sure. ;)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"The coolest months are January and February, when temperatures fall to mid to low 70s °F (20s °C) at night. Daily maximums and minimums vary no more than 10 °F (6 °C). Relative humidity ranges from 65-80% during daylight hours to 85-100% at night."

I think if we go above 100% that means the high tide is a little too high.

Jburns

I have one of these next to each printer and vinyl cutter. Rule - ALWAYS tap it before touching equipment - In the Wintertime there is always a discharge - shock thru my finger!!!

Aquarium Grounding Probe

Attachments

• Titanium-Ground-Probe-99.jpg
    Titanium-Ground-Probe-99.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 114

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Put a pot of water on a potbelly stove. :)

yes, but you won't do it consistently
$50 for a humidifier can save $2000 for a system board

how many of those posts do you read in a year?

i have no axe to grind, i don't sell humidifiers.

just trying to limit the number of sad stories i read on the forum

netsol

Premium Subscriber
I have one of these next to each printer and vinyl cutter. Rule - ALWAYS tap it before touching equipment - In the Wintertime there is always a discharge - shock thru my finger!!!

Aquarium Grounding Probe

great idea, i just figured the humidifier was an easier thing to do