• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Going with a new look ...

Redwave Signs

I am in the transition phase of going from a part-timer to a full-timer and decided I wanted a more unique name. I am happy with the name and the wave portion of the design, but in need of help with the font selection and layout. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Redwave Signs and Design Logo.jpg
    Redwave Signs and Design Logo.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 94

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I am in the transition phase of going from a part-timer to a full-timer and decided I wanted a more unique name. I am happy with the name and the wave portion of the design, but in need of help with the font selection and layout. Thank you in advance.

Your instincts are correct.

In this application, Compacta and Futura don't work by themselves and together they're a complete disaster. Using a couple of rather common type faces in such a pedestrian manner is somewhat less than striking.

The spikey red blotch is looks more like an affectation than an integral part of the design.

Try again.

Jillbeans

bob is right.
While legible, this one is too generic.
Even losing the graphic and making the RED part in red would help it.
I'm a huge fan of plain things but this is just a little too plain.
Love.....Jill

Redwave Signs

I am not happy with the font choices yet. I am playing around with a few other combinations. I would like to keep it simple ....

I also want to keep the red spiky thingy...

Craig Sjoquist

I do like the simple and highly readable name.
signs and graphics being thin is fine good contrast to add more use a serifed font a little thicker will not hurt with such a bold name.
The red thing try on right side there by pulling your eye across and stopping, as it is now it is fixed to left and you have to look to right on purpose, this alone might help your problem of fonts choice.

Jillbeans

don't add a drop shadow to logos..
Why not? I do it when I think it looks right. Maybe not in this example but in some logos it looks nice.

If you're stuck on the red spikey thing try doing what Craig suggests and move it to the other side.
Try changing the signs & designs font to something more extended like eurostile, so there are not huge holes on either side of the ampersand.

Here's a suggestion, I had to use a Stevo flame as a wave and Air Conditioner as an extended font.
hahaha

Attachments

• Graphic2.jpg
    Graphic2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Marlene

what is the red spiky thing? what do you mean by red wave? ocean wave or some other type of wave? I do like the word red in red and the rest in black as suggested by Jill. keeping it simple isn't a bad idea at all as some of the most simple designs are the strongest. just please don't go to a beveled, overly special effects font with diamond plate!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I have never been a fan of the logo icon on the side of just text names. unless it means something ... i would try to integrate it better.

try something on the top of the words (like i did attached), try integrating into the words or being illustrative and making the words FORM the wave, etc.

also think about future signage applications.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 88

TheSellOut

The great thing about logos with icons is that you can set standards for displaying the icon around the text to use in both a vertical and horizontal layouts. This allows you to have a strong, consistent, and versatile image no matter the medium.

Attachments

• RedWave.jpg
    RedWave.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 90

laserman70

I like the concept of 13
Just needs something else to make it stand out.
The wave needs something.
just dont like the hard line of black with the red. Maybe fade to black
just my .02

petesign

I just couldn't resist.....

Now that I have wasted 10 minutes of my day on a bad joke, back to work ;)

Attachments

• redwaveohyeah.jpg
    redwaveohyeah.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 84

wolf

Just a tip for you.

Whatever you want to stand out in your design it needs to be situated in one of the 4 golden points of the image.

Its one of these positions where the eye automatically looks at when viewing an image and it feels right and looks right. If done right each time you view the image it looks right and you are not looking at the image in circles trying to make sense of it.

An example of one of the 4 golden points can be found in the image below.

http://www.goldenmuseum.com/0805004.jpg

Take note of where you automatically focus on when viewing the image.

The same rule applies with design.

Each image has 4 golden points.

2 on the top and 2 on the bottom.

This rule applies for any design or photography work and if you take a look in any magazine where there are photos its how the image is positioned.

Hope this helps.

Joe