• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Golf Course Marker sign

ABPGraphics

I have a golf course that I supplied marker signs for their driving range - this signs gets slammed by golf balls everyday - after asking around I decided to use 1/2" white PVC the sign size is 4'x4' with regular vinyl copy
i used PVC because it is white thru & thru

the one closest to the golfers, the one that gets hit the most by the golf balls is getting pretty bad - the other are not as bad because of course they are further away.......I need to change that particular one - any suggestions on a material that would take massive abuse daily? - Some have said steel, but I still need to finish the steel to make it white and am worried that the finish would not last a day.......HELP!

Vicg

Plexi could actually shatter from the impact. Polycarbonate on the other hand would work perfectly but it is pricey for a thick sheet , so it depends on how long they want something to last a golf ball gives a good punch .

Mosh

Plexi would be the WORST thing to use. White polycarb is the ticket. You can hit that stuff with a hammer. Concrete with metal letters would be even better. What is the budjet?

ABPGraphics

budget is $350 to 450 depending on material - What thickness Poly would you guys recommend and shoul I back it with wood? these signs are installed with two posts

threeputt

Why do driving ranges do that? I mean to stick a sign out there and continually have to replace it? Seems archaic. There's a better way.

At courses in my area, they put up PVC pipe poles (sunk into the ground)at 100, 150, 200, 250 yds. which are color coded. There's a couple signs that tell which color is at which yardage.

Realize that suggesting this won't get you any work, but it's a far more practical way of doing things.

Benefits:
1) This way the course can move them around. (if you have grass t's in the summer, the benefit is obvious.

2) A pole that is 4" in diameter gets hit a heck of a lot less than a 48"x48" sign.

3) If they sleeve a larger pipe in the ground permanently, the guy who mows can simply lift them out and go about his business.

You can suggest all of this and you'll get beat out of the business, but maybe the client will be so ingratiated to you (that you have their interests at heart) he'll spend his sign budget with you on other signs needed around the place.

Mosh

We poured concrete pillars and put Gemini metal numbers on them to indicate the distance. Those things can take a beating.

G-Artist

Some polycarb supply folks advertise in sign mags. They show bricks and baseballs being hurled and bouncing off. We have tried that product once (in a bad area of town) and it worked as advertised.

If you use that product, take a lesson from the DOT plus go one step further.

The more progressive state DOT's use break-away posts for highway and Interstate signage. Do the same thing but instead of break-away posts cut your post material at the appropriate distance level and insert a HD spring hinge. When the poly face gets hit, it will survive two ways - once from its inherent properties plus via the spring hinge. Do not use a backing board if it can be avoided.

Buy clear stock. Apply the graphic on the back (vinyl or print). Spray the back with a white paint suitable for the poly (spray bombs do work for small signs). Affix the decorated poly to the hinged posts. Should be good to go.

ABPGraphics

OK so I said I would post pics of the damaged signs......Yes i know....what was I thinking - I am going to change the signs with polycarbonite unless any new ideas come about......:covereyes:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 113