• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good job gone bad

MikePro

o gawd, if only I lived in atlanta! Here in Racine, WI we have 3 committees to go through for approvals BEFORE you can even pull a permit. Currently dealing with a committe member that wants to know the dimensions/specs. of the shrubbery in our drawing (we are NOT a landscaping company, btw... was the clients request to add bushes in our drawings for their monument sign/led message center).
And another gentleman in the committee is bullying our client into buying a different message center than the brand we offer... the City sells signs now too?!?
Taking everything in me to rub it in the committee's face that they have no control over our clients' landscaping decisions... nor do they have the right to make our client switch brands and steal our business. But, just gotta suck it up... take LOTS of notes and save every email... and hope to figure our what their angle is, make them happy to make your client happy, and get the project approved/installed asap so you don't bleed money out of your ass in the process.

And some people wonder why signs are so expensive. Competitive pricing really kills you when the city gets involved... just got to make sure your client is informed off the get-go, what's included in your pricing. Any extra headaches outside of that, though you may do your best to help... is on them.

Last edited:

Marlene

is the customer renting the property? was the sign on site part of the rental agreement? who did the city serve the removal papers on? the former tenant? the land owner?

The city had agreed with me in my meeting that i didnt need a permit, but they said i should have asked anyways

now that is just crazy. since no permit was needed why would anyone contact the city? who has time to do leg work that isn't needed. the city should have come down on the property owner it seems to make sure the not to code sign wasn't used by the next tenant renting the property.​

JimJenson

What is the problem with the sign?

Maybe the owner, his contractor, and city can come to terms with why this thing must be taken down. It may be something which can be fixed.

washingtonsignguy

The sign is already down, the owner wanted to fully comply with cities orders. I would have fought that is whatever way possible, I am sure it was probly a $20-25,000 sign in its day. Yeah you dont need to be a contractor unless you need a permit and even then it depends on what kind of sign it is. If it involves anything structural, yes, but sidewalk signs, i think they let slide. I am contractor, so that didnt really apply in my case. This wasnt a rental property. The sign was orderd down 15 years ago, because it was 4 sq. ft. too big for that building. The size of the sign is based on the building size up here. In the end they guy took my other sign chopped 12" off all the way around and screwed it to the building. nice huh. really proud of that one. It was kinda funny he cut off part of the name and everything, he didnt care at that point. Thanks everyone for the input, interesting how everyones codes differ so much.

washingtonsignguy

Thanks marlene, that was my biggest argument on this. Why would you contact them and say just thought you might wanna know. If they wanted know, they woud make it permittable, right?