• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Google targeted ads

CanuckSigns

My wife and I just celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary last night, this morning when I come in to work, my Gmail is showing targeted advertisements down the side bar for...marriage counseling lol!

Does the mighty Google know something I don't?!?

Techman

yes, they do.
I am not kidding.

Teh new way of surfing.
Set yoru browser to clear all cookies upon closing.

signswi

Clearing cookies doesn't do much all they need is a half dozen unique variables to identify you (browser version, os version, which os updates you have, what other software you have installed). It really doesn't take much to uniquely identify a web user and cookies are the least of your concerns.

Locals Find!

Cookies make no difference then google if your logged into your gmail it pulls keywords from the emails you send and receive and serves up ads based on that data and data from your web searches.

Its just a fact of life google will serve up those ads. Part of using their products. I get ads for signs and printing served up to me all the time. Kinda annoying having to always see the competition. When I find someone local to me though I click the snot out of it so they have to pay dearly to google.

Techman

Cookies make no difference then google if your logged

Sorry but cookies are part of it. A very big part of it.
Ads are targeted via the cookies. You may wish to check your references before you post such mis information.

Locals Find!

Sorry but cookies are part of it. A very big part of it.
Ads are targeted via the cookies. You may wish to check your references before you post such mis information.

Well, I don't need to I clear my cookies after every use when my browser closes my cookies and history are wiped. I see the ads change based on the emails I get and send throughout the day. I can close my browser a dozen times and still see the same ads coming up. I can also switch browsers go on my phone etc.. same ads. Different computer even, same ads.

So cookies are not the answer sorry to burst your bubble. Google searches your emails for keywords and keeps track of your actions to serve ads up to you. Cookies only help in you logging in.

Check your search history with google they record everything you have ever searched for. You can go back months and see what you searched for 6 months ago when logged in.

2NinerNiner2

My wife and I just celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary last night, this morning when I come in to work, my Gmail is showing targeted advertisements down the side bar for...marriage counseling lol!

Does the mighty Google know something I don't?!?

Perhaps you had a few congratulatory emails regarding your anniversary? Had a quick check on one of my gmail accounts and the ads change on each one and appear to be generated based upon the content of the email. You gotta luv "free" services, eh? :Canada 2:

round man

I've seen this conversation before on other boards,...people complain that their information is being gleaned and the ads on a search site and or free email server tend to correlate to recent activity,....my response,....

What do you expect for the price you pay for the services rendered by google and yahoo?????,...they have to invest millions if not billions in order for you to be able to type in your search request and or store and send your email,....Unless you have ever been in a server farm you will not understand the vast expense of making these "free" services available,...they cost the providers such as google,bing,yahoo,etc. tremendous amounts of money to position maintain and provide to you free of charge 24/7,....do you really think they are that kind hearted or do ya think they might have a way of making money off that info that you type in your console??????????

omgsideburns

Rule of thumb.. don't do something on the internet that you don't want people to find out about.

That's why I use someone else's computer for my adult browsing.