• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

graphics get ruined while rolling up

gabagoo

I have seen this occasionaly but not like this. I have found that in a lot of cases if using the take up reel (most of the time) that dark colours seem to get a modeled look later when I unroll them to work on them. In most cases it is not to bad and I figure that it is the paper winding up behind the graphics and wearing on it to tightly. I dont think there is anything I can do about it or is there. I am not sure why sometimes it happens and others it doesn't. Today I unrolled some large Honda logos which are just a red box with a white knowckout and I see this effect but now it seems to have specs of black and it is not fixable. Again I can only assume something was on the paper backing when it rolled itself up and transfered onto the graphic. Am I alone here with this issue? anyone else have this problem from time to time.

gabagoo

The more I look at it I have to say that it must be a material dificiency a the problem occurs in about a 14" area along that entire width of the roll. Everything before it is fine and after. I am going after my supplier to compensate me and take back whats left of the roll and replace it with a new one. Bloody Hell!!!

gabagoo

It sounds like the print is not drying fully before reaching the take-up reel.

probably not and this particular roll of vinyl has a very thick backing paper and you can see that it just does not want to stay rolled up so when it is on the take up reel it probably is exerting more pressure than normal on the next overlap of graphics coming down the line. To much pressure against the backing paper and the ink is getting damaged. damn!!!

speedmedia

hmmm. I get this same problem when printing on Arlon vinyl. When I print on 3651 or an other type of Oracal it isn't an issue.

You using Arlon? Do we need to turn up the heat?

Thanks,
Kurt

gabagoo

What vinyl are you using, gabagoo?

This is the same stuff I always use (general formulations) they make house brand digital for Fellers from what I hear. It is very similar to printing on Oracal 3650 except it doesn't have the grey blockout. I really like the stuff but this particular roll when it arrived I knew it was different than the usual vinyl I had been ordering. First off the backing paper was much heavier but when I questioned my supplier they said it was the same stuff they always sent. I have a 30" roll here and I compared and they are different. The vinyl looks the same so I went with it. When you peel the vinyl off the backing paper it makes a screaching sound and the old stuff never did, in fact it was a little to aggressive and I found that while trying to use the big squeegee to apply stuff the pressure I needed to exert to release the vinyl was causing stretching. This incident that happened today was the last straw and I phoned the supplier and told him to send me a new roll, take this one back and credit me for what was left on the roll plus an additional credit for sending me a product that apparently does not exist. The guy came to deliver it and he works in the back where they convert off of master rolls. I showed him the backing paper and peeled the vinyl off and his eyes lit up as he had never seen this before. I told him that General Formualtion must have packed the wrong vinyl in this particular box which meant that these guys had 5 rolls of the stuff floating around in there warehouse or out at other customers.( they can convert 5 rolls from one master) He said the tag in the core was wrong for that product also. My worries now are that I used half the roll and who knows if this stuff will even last a year outdoors. ( they rate it for 5). I even called down to General Formualtion to see if they had changed the way they made the product and they said no nothing was new. It seems that me a simple sign guy can pick up on what everyone else cant seem to see. go figure