• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtech Vs. Designtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Keiper

I think you're probably right. I believe the D-60 may be a more powerful machine anyway....and I admit to being prejudiced in favor of that particular feature.
hk

Techman

But a graphtec,, and then later,, if something ever happens whre you dotn want it any more.. Someone will buy your slightly used high end machine and pay u a handsome sum for it..

Buy a unknown machine and you may get lucky to find a buyer for it that will give you a reasonable amount..

Jackpine

Graphtec CE3000 mk2 has a ops and is tangiental. For the money you would not go wrong. SSK has the CE3000 Mk2 priced real good and with their vinyl cutter bundle it is loaded with cutting software and tons of clipart. This cutter is fast and very accurate. Cuts corners clean. I had a Roland, a very good cutter but this one is way better. A great first cutter.

hammered

IMG%5D
I have the Designtech 60 and the ONLY downside to my partners Graphtec is the lack to contour cut from a printer. My Designtec doesnt have the "eyes" for seeing the registar marks. The speed and pressure adjustments are better than most of the models to compare it to. Mine was also a package deal so I recieved Cibercat's Cibercut Max 5.5 and I love the software. SSK has great customer service so there isnt a feeling of "there ya go now go away" Hope that helps. And Im not sure if this answers your questions on tight, sharp edges when cutting but the image is only about 3 inches across.
Picture.jpg

IMG%5D

tinysuperbug

Thanks all, looks like we're going to start with the designtech.

And thank you so much for that visual Hammered. That helped tons.:U Rock:

Jackpine

cutters

I used a drag knife Ronand PNC 1000 for 14 years and cut everything I need, sandblast, vinyl, metallecs ect. Just use sharp blades and protect the cutting strip from damage and you will be OK. Hammered is right on about SSK.

kilerb

Hey guys, just set up the designtech... I'm reading the manual, but right now at this point I'm clueless on a few things.

1. Did I make the blade stick out of the plunger too much or too little?
2. I'm in corel draw and have no idea how to tell the unit to just cut around the text i've created. It's a solid font. Do i need to use an outlined font? I know I need to reverse the image, but I don't know if that's all I have to do.
3. At first it was asking me what type of media i had, i had no clue what to hit, so after it said roll 2 press enter, I did... It put some numbers on the LCD, does that mean it knows what type of media is in there now?

Now the LCD says Cond:1 Tool: Pen Force:12 Speed:30 Quality:2

Thanks, sorry I'm such a newbie at this! :)

Last edited:

Jackpine

Graphtec DesignTech cutter

Pen force 17 speed 20 will give you good clean cutsin 2 to 5 mil vinyl. Set other cond. for other material. I'm not sure of your cutting software but in Corel no fill hairline pen.

kilerb

Wow, I'm not even sure how thick this vinyl is. It's the type that you use for Tshirts. It's pretty thin actually. Where in Corel do you tell it those settings? Thanks!

First, make sure you have your graphic selected. Put your cursor over each if the tool icons on the left side of the screen...a little text box will pop up and tell you what each tool is. Go down until you find the fill tool and click it. A flyout will open with several selections in it...hit the X...don't panic when your graphic disappears, it's still there...it just has no fill. Now find the outline tool and in the flyout click on hairline. Thats it.

Jackpine

Graphtec/ DesignTech cutter

You adjust the blade in the blade holder. Take the blade holder out...adjust the blade by turning the holder. You will see the blade get longer or shorter. You will barely feel the blade sticking out. Take the holder and cut a scrap of the material. Adjust as needed. If you go to SSK web site at the user fourm in the vinyl application there is a very good thread about adjusting the blade. HTM is very thin and the blade sticks out very little.

ovrcafnatd

Howard hope you read this

Howard
I am having a FC7000-75 (I think that's the one) shipped to me overnight through Tom Flack (owner) from Creavtive Visual Systems (What a GREAT company...really going the extra mile for me on this). Maybe you are handling this? I know it's coming from CA.

I zapped out our old plotter the other day by touching the display panel...static electricity...I could smell the smoke LOL
it still cuts - I just can't control anything. Have too many jobs on the board for me to mess with it...so I decided on the Graphtec over a Gerber.
The Gerber was nice, but only 24" and I don't have time for the learning curve regarding the Omega software - so Graphtec it is!!!

I was told it will run on Windows 98. Hoping this is the case as we have an older computer dedicated to the plotter and did not want to upgrade at the moment considering everything else. Will this run on Windows 98?
We use Corel 9 and (on that computer) at the moment, but can upgrade to 11 on it, just not 12 or the new x3 since it is 98.
This is one of those last minute - in dire need - purchases...like when the frige goes...so I haven't had any time to research all the facts.

Is there anything you can think of that will hinder me with the software I'm running at the moment?

Not that it would stop the purchase at this point, for I think it may have shipped already :tongue:

and please tell me it at least comes with an extra blade ;) hehe I hope Visual carries the extras cause' I don't even know where to purchase accessories at the moment.

I know so little since it was a quicky decision, I'm also hoping I can
pen plot and possibly pounce.
And hoping since it is a 30" there are 3 pinch wheels?
(now that I see all I've asked, I almost purchased blindly...I trust Tom)

for anyone looking to purchase
I highly suggest contacting Visual Creative Systems
http://www.creativevisualsys.com/
they have gone above and beyond to help me last minute like this.
As you can see in the link - their tag line is
"Service is our number one product" and let me tell you they're not kidding!!

kilerb

Thanks, i'm actually nervous about trying this for the first time. If the blade is out too much can it go through the vinyl completely and cut the machine up?

signage

Kilerb if the blade is out to far and too much pressure it will cut into the teflon strip that sits under the cutting area. This is a replaceable part. Better to set the blade too Little and adjust out to get correct cut. Get a fellers Gage and use it to get approximate blade depth.

Howard Keiper

kilerb....If you can easily see the blade sticking out, you've probably got too much blade sticking out. I'm sure your cutter has a "TEST" function...get friendly with it. It won't take but a minute to learn what the correct setting is.

Leigh....
Sure, the 7000 works with Windows 98.
In the box you'll find a CD or two with the Windows driver; Quick-Cut, which will allow you to cut easily from Corel-9 (through 12, at the moment); and Cutting Master, which will do for Illustrator what Quick-Cut does for Corel. ...also the manual in PDF format. You will get two CB-09U blades. The '-75 has two pinch rollers.
You can plot and pounce.
I think you're going to enjoy your new machine...I do, all the time.
hk

ovrcafnatd

Thanks Howard!
We have a tech coming to help set-up
so hopefully I won't have to mess with many settings ;)
I'm not good with that stuff.

Can't wait to get this....excited!
it sure is an upgrade for us.
Thanks for the info.

Leigh

kilerb

SUCCESS!!! I just made my first custom text tee! Feels great, just like the shirt. Took awhile to get going, but should be smoother sailing from here on out. I really appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks a lot. Now I have to figure out what else this thing can do besides make tees! :)

ChiknNutz

In all reality, you don't have to be overly concerned with the blade protruding too MUCH, but rather too LITTLE. As long as the thing is not sticking WAY out there, the pressure controls how far the knife cuts into the material. At first I thought it was a big deal, but after doing this for a while, I've figured out that it just doesn't make any appreciable difference as long as it is out enough. If it's not out enough, the blade holder drags on the material and you obviously get a crappy cut. Really though, it just needs to be slightly beyond the end of the blade holder for most vinyl, quite a bit more for sandblast. Anyway, congrats on the purchase.

ChiknNutz

Not unless your blade force is too high. The force is the ONLY limiting factor. You don't want the blade just barely out or the blade holder will drag on the media and absorb some of the force that is intended to be used to cut the vinyl. True, it is a pretty fine line here, but the point is that the force setting controls this and NOT the amount you have adjusted out of the holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.