• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Great Resource

SqueeGee

Jon speaks common sense, there is no magic it what he speaks.

Magic, no. Incredibly helpful to the success of my business, yes.

There have been lots of times when I've suddenly understood something that seems like common sense, but only AFTER someone else has pointed it out to me.

sjm

Magic, no. Incredibly helpful to the success of my business, yes.

There have been lots of times when I've suddenly understood something that seems like common sense, but only AFTER someone else has pointed it out to me.

Of course, as if no one passed useful common sense info onto Jon?

SqueeGee

I give credit where credit is due. If you had passed on anything useful on a regular basis, I guess this post would be about you.

sjm

Credit without doubt should be given. Elevating someone in a forum above others I think is wrong.

That's just my opinion and I am sure common sense will prevail. Otherwise this just another raw raw thread.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Credit without doubt should be given. Elevating someone in a forum above others I think is wrong.

That's just my opinion and I am sure common sense will prevail. Otherwise this just another raw raw thread.

Not sure why you think it's wrong... there's a lot of Jon's posts you don't see that are in the premium section. Just saying you don't have the full picture of what Jon contributes to this forum, so in all honesty you really don't know what you're talking about IMHO... although I can agree that common sense is one of Jon's many qualities.

Common sense to one person... isn't necessarily something known to the next. The beauty of working with Jon is that he not only gives you a "common sense" approach... he does it in a manner that stays with you. He explains rather than preaches... an overall insight into sign marketing that most don't even begin to understand - let alone possess.

If this is a rah-rah thread I'll be glad to get my pom-poms out when it comes to Jon because he is the real thing.

sjm

Not sure why you think it's wrong... there's a lot of Jon's posts you don't see that are in the premium section. Just saying you don't have the full picture of what Jon contributes to this forum, so in all honesty you really don't know what you're talking about IMHO... although I can agree that common sense is one of Jon's many qualities.

Common sense to one person... isn't necessarily something known to the next. The beauty of working with Jon is that he not only gives you a "common sense" approach... he does it in a manner that stays with you. He explains rather than preaches... an overall insight into sign marketing that most don't even begin to understand - let alone possess.

If this is a rah-rah thread I'll be glad to get my pom-poms out when it comes to Jon because he is the real thing.

Common sense suggests all members here have something valuable to offer.

Please bring out your pom poms.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Common sense suggests all members here have something valuable to offer.

Please bring out your pom poms.

Of course all members have something valuable to offer... some just offer it up more than others. Jon doesn't need me to cheerlead for him... but will have to find the dang pom-poms if you insist... thinking the grandkids were playing with them last I saw 'em...

SqueeGee

Start a thread to say what exactly.

I'm not quite sure, but it seems you have a lot to say on the subject so I thought a little extra encouragement might be all that you needed.

Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'll try clarify what I thought was already crystal clear.

I think Jon Aston is a very valuable member to our community. He's has supplied lots of information that's been extremely helpful to the success of my business and I'm guessing I'm not alone in that assessment. For those of you that are interested in succeeding in the sign business, I highly recommend paying attention to what he has to say.

While I love to read posts by Mosh for their entertainment value or Flame for a glimpse of what I was like 15 years ago, tonight I was particularly thankful for what Jon contributes and I wanted to share this appreciation in the hopes that it would help others connect with him and ultimately, to be more successful.

sjm

I'm not quite sure, but it seems you have a lot to say on the subject so I thought a little extra encouragement might be all that you needed.

Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'll try clarify what I thought was already crystal clear.

I think Jon Aston is a very valuable member to our community. He's has supplied lots of information that's been extremely helpful to the success of my business and I'm guessing I'm not alone in that assessment. For those of you that are interested in succeeding in the sign business, I highly recommend paying attention to what he has to say.

While I love to read posts by Mosh for their entertainment value or Flame for a glimpse of what I was like 15 years ago, tonight I was particularly thankful for what Jon contributes and I wanted to share this appreciation in the hopes that it would help others connect with him and ultimately, to be more successful.

I think nothing has changed as those that were successful 15 years ago remain successful today.

I think you give yourself very little credit. May I suggest Tony Robbins ... Life on your terms as a great read? Suspect Jon may have read it, though I am not sure.

SqueeGee

I think you give yourself very little credit.

I actually think that I give myself WAYYYYYY too much credit. Up until now, I thought that I was responding to a lucid individual that just didn't understand my point. Finally, I understand otherwise. Have a great night!

Jon Aston

Squeegee (and Bigdawg!) - Thank you so much for your kind words - and for taking the time to share them!

SJM...

Your perception of who I am and what I do is an interesting caricaturization. Still, I would rather stand accused of peddling "common sense" than I would "magic".

I haven't read any Tony Robbins. Funny story though: Occasionally, when I first started consulting, clients would ask me "Have you read the E-myth?" and I had to keep confessing that I hadn't. Then, one client - someone a little more cynical, I guess - practically accused me of lifting pages right out of Gerber's playbook. I decided I had better read it and did... and was (at first) a little shocked at how similar our approaches were at the time. But, as I thought about the similarities, I began to wonder why the approaches should be any different. My conclusion was that it is "common sense".

Yesterday I had conversations with 3 prospects from this community. After discussing their businesses, I explained what I do, and how I do it. I think I told each of them that what I do isn't rocket surgery, and that they can learn to do it themselves. I guess if I was a better salesman, I probably would have added "But will you?" and "How long will it take you?"... and "Why haven't you done it already?".

The truth is that everything each of us knows as "common sense" came to us as new knowledge at some point... and certainly not in the same order, at the same time in our lives as the next guy (or gal). Each of us has strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who runs a business who can't count "common sense" marketing and business development among their strengths would be foolhardy to ignore the fact for too long. If they're not ready to hire someone with those strengths (employee or consultant) then maybe - just maybe - there really is some value in the "common sense" I share around here. I certainly hope so... and am grateful that at least a few folks agree. :)

iSign

I respect that but I have found useful unbiased info from other members too.

sjm, it is ironic how aptly your presence in this thread illustrates the point that while others may at times have useful unbiased info, it is by no means a unanimous occurrence.

I will also add that I have invested in Jon's marketing consultations on and off for years.

If NFL, NBA and MLB athletes still use coaches when they are at the top of their game... I guess we might also benefit from a professional adviser even if our own common sense is intact.

One thing I learned from Jon is to watch where my money goes, & evaluate the ROI (Return On Investment) ...so the fact that I have invested in his consultation services for several years is a testament to the return I have realized from that investment!!

Jon Aston

Thanks Mano. :)

I almost took specific issue with the "useful unbiased info" comment too. But whatever. The truth is that we're all biased one way or another, me and sjm included. It's all good. I've learned never to judge people until I've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, I'm a mile away - and I have their shoes. I didn't make that up. :)