• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grey Wrap has turned Purple

OK I just saw a wrap we did a few years ago and it was mostly a grey background when we did it but today it looks totally purple. probably done about 3 yrs ago. install looks good but now its purple.

Epson GS6000
onyx production house
3M 180 C V3
8518 Lam

Different colors of inks will deteriorate over time due to UV exposure. In this case (Epson GS6000) I would guess that the Yellow ink has degraded before the other colors. Over the years, I have heard that the GS6000 OEM Yellow is prone to premature degradation.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Either it was the lighting (grey shift is most noticable morning, evening, and cloudy days) or the yellow faded before the red.

Different colors of inks will deteriorate over time due to UV exposure. In this case (Epson GS6000) I would guess that the Yellow ink has degraded before the other colors. Over the years, I have heard that the GS6000 OEM Yellow is prone to premature degradation.

well that kinda sucks with trying to sell a product at a premium with 3M films and laminate but the ink is only good for 1.5 maybe 2 yrs

heyskull

Greys are hardest to hit and probably any slight fade in any of the colours applied will change the colours darastically.

On a similair note.
I carried out an install of some gold metalic acrylic stand off letters onto a cladded building last month.
The job looked great on install, but I passed the site late last weekend and the letters had turned green!
Turns out the gold acrylic reacts very badly to street lights, especially the sodium orange variety.
Customer hasn't commented so best keep very quiet!

SC

J Hill Designs

custom gold acrylic patina no extra charge!

Greys are hardest to hit and probably any slight fade in any of the colours applied will change the colours darastically.

On a similair note.
I carried out an install of some gold metalic acrylic stand off letters onto a cladded building last month.
The job looked great on install, but I passed the site late last weekend and the letters had turned green!
Turns out the gold acrylic reacts very badly to street lights, especially the sodium orange variety.
Customer hasn't commented so best keep very quiet!

SC

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's always been my big question about the whole idea in general.

If the vinyl is a 7 or 10 year rated media, so what, if the majority of inks/colors are gonna shift, fade or look bad in 3 or 4 years. Then, according to your location on the globe, it could be less.

I understand certain colors will go first, but other then the old scotchcal system, or whatever it was called, nothing seems to last.

I saw a car that was wrapped for a local company, right after it was done, about 2 years ago. Terrible application and ugly colors. Nothing good about it. Musta been sold on price alone. Saw it a few months ago. Totally different colors, but all the same patpatches and cuts. It wasn't changed out for a new wrap..... it just changed colors and peeled a little all on it's own.

Maybe that's the selling point. Today, you have this color combination, but wait 2 or 3 years and you'll have a new job change right before your very eyes. :rolleyes:

player

If your profile lays down more ink will the colours last longer? If so, how do I accomplish this in Versaworks with Ecosol inks?

Get Lucky

Lets face it when you look at your spec sheets most printed vinyls are only warrantied for 3-4 years I would never expect them to last past that. I tell my customers that I don't expect them to last past that. If someone says they are going to make it longer make sure you get it in writing and good luck.

If your profile lays down more ink will the colours last longer? If so, how do I accomplish this in Versaworks with Ecosol inks?

To some extent I would agree with this. However, every media has a maximum amount of ink load that it can accommodate. Going beyond that point will not increase the resulting longevity of the ink. The problem is that most colors are produced using less ink than the maximum.

The ink load is defined in the media profile that the RIP uses, in the area referred to as Total Area Coverage or Total Ink Limit, depending on the terminology used by the RIP. Versaworks refers to this as Total Ink Limit.

player

To some extent I would agree with this. However, every media has a maximum amount of ink load that it can accommodate. Going beyond that point will not increase the resulting longevity of the ink. The problem is that most colors are produced using less ink than the maximum.

The ink load is defined in the media profile that the RIP uses, in the area referred to as Total Area Coverage or Total Ink Limit, depending on the terminology used by the RIP. Versaworks refers to this Total Ink Limit.

I used to use profiles the dealer used to make. They laid down lots of ink, and the prints have lasted a very long time. I have since switched to using Versaworks, and I think they do not lay down as much.

you can adjust the max amount of ink. of course you want to be very careful and make backups of known good profiles.

Versaworks profiling guide

While it is possible to modify the Total Ink Limit in a Versaworks media profile (or any RIP for that matter) is is not advisable from a color perspective, unless a new ICC Profile, based on a newly printed chart is then regenerated after making the change to the Total Ink Limit. Making changes to TIL will change the color in shadows and near blacks and a new ICC should be built to characterize these.