• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Grimco has gone down hill fast for us

Christian @ 2CT Media

Has anyone experienced rapid and multiple price increases with this vendor?

We just stopped buying from them after getting a 50% price increase on the last few products we were buying from them. They keep trying to get us to switch back to MaxMetal, especially now during their super special price sale, but their sale price for their basic MaxMetal is $10/sheet more (30%) than my normal price for .012" skinned ACP from my other vendors.

We aren't all about price but they offer nothing different or better in terms of service or availability than any of our other vendors.

Just trying to figure out how I can randomly increase my price 50% and get my clients to keep buying from me.

Sorry, /end rant

bannertime

We used them as our primary vendor for many years. Lately we've been venturing out because they are high on a lot of materials. Although, some days they call us with sales and our regular "contracted" price is less than the sale price. So they've (we've) got good pricing on some products. I haven't noticed any 50% increase, but slight increases, yes. The main reason we use them is due to their customer service. Any time I call someone else, it feels like we're bothering them or you have to wait on hold for a sales person and instead get their voicemail. I can count on one hand the times that Grimco has gone to voicemail. Twice a day delivery routes and generally a decent stock on items. Some of our smaller suppliers, even though they are closer, will take two or three days to get an item to us.

If we weren't always in need of same/next day delivery on stuff, we'd probably shop elsewhere more frequently.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
In fairness to Grimco, there have been price increases across the board from most of the roll and rigid manufacturers in the past 6 months. Avery alone has had multiple increases, and some of the banner prices have gone as much as 25% because of several reasons including the tariffs because so much of that vinyl comes out of China. We are in the southeast and have switched much of our purchasing for staple items to Athens Paper & Wide Format. They've been more competitive, willing to stock items locally, and they use their own trucks for delivery instead of couriers. They carry Avery, Arlon, GF, Mactac, and Catalina along with others, but not 3M. I've gotten tired of paying a premium for 3M and Avery anyway, so we've moved away from them. Athens services the southeast primarily and I would recommend looking at them if you get a chance.

Christian @ 2CT Media

It's not normal price increases... They changed their maxmetal prices on us 5 times last year while our other vendors only had 1 minor one. Their Key blockout banner which we were using exclusively went up 50% for us today; 38" went from $68 to $104, 54" went from $98 to $154, and 63" went from $113 to $180. I couldn't get away with that with my clients.

Their service is the same as everywhere else for us, so I can't justify the cost difference. We just price checked all of our staple products (non price locked) and they are 25+% higher than all of our other vendors.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We used them as our primary vendor for many years. Lately we've been venturing out because they are high on a lot of materials. Although, some days they call us with sales and our regular "contracted" price is less than the sale price. So they've (we've) got good pricing on some products. I haven't noticed any 50% increase, but slight increases, yes. The main reason we use them is due to their customer service. Any time I call someone else, it feels like we're bothering them or you have to wait on hold for a sales person and instead get their voicemail. I can count on one hand the times that Grimco has gone to voicemail. Twice a day delivery routes and generally a decent stock on items. Some of our smaller suppliers, even though they are closer, will take two or three days to get an item to us.

If we weren't always in need of same/next day delivery on stuff, we'd probably shop elsewhere more frequently.

Have you tried Nglantz? They are in Irving and deliver in the Mextroplex twice a day. Anytime I call they answer right away but I mostly just order online. I use them almost for 100% of everything. Pricing is on point.

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

Have you tried Nglantz, they are real good.
Used to use them exclusively, our awesome sales rep moved to a new market. The new sales rep was unresponsive and we haven't seen a rep from them in 3 years. We call them every once in awhile but have moved our business between Montroy, Fellers, Piedmont, Polymer Shapes, and Port Plastics.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
I use Grimco very rarely. When I got into the UV printing market I didn't like their pricing right off the bat. I've been using Lexjet for roll media and they've been nothing but amazing to me. Kills everyones prices by a huge margin.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have seen price increases on everything in the last 12 months. Some items pretty hard depending on Tariff scares. Fortunately we're growing pretty fast and increased production capacity and stronger buying power have allowed us to maintain most of our wholesale printing prices from 2017. Some items we even came down.

equippaint

I'm very loyal and appreciate good service but you have to be a bit of an a** and shop your vendors on a regular basis. You may be surprised how they can make that annual price increase disappear provided that you give them a good chunk of business and don't jump all over the place. If your rep knows that you're on your game, they will be on theirs.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have seen price increases on everything in the last 12 months. Some items pretty hard depending on Tariff scares. Fortunately we're growing pretty fast and increased production capacity and stronger buying power have allowed us to maintain most of our wholesale printing prices from 2017. Some items we even came down.
Oh I get price increases, GRIMCO just took the cake for us on Price increases... Never have I ever seen a Vendor jump that much. Sucks because I like our reps there, just can't justify cost difference.
Heck, we pay more from certain vendors because we like their service or something but all of them would tell us to buy elsewhere at those price differences.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm very loyal and appreciate good service but you have to be a bit of an a** and shop your vendors on a regular basis. You may be surprised how they can make that annual price increase disappear provided that you give them a good chunk of business and don't jump all over the place. If your rep knows that you're on your game, they will be on theirs.
We are loyal people but we always keep a finger on the pulse of the market. I was just blown away today, just shows our business is not worth it to them.

equippaint

Weve had to jump around lately for acm due to availability. The quality has been mixed as well, we had a long run of bowed sheets, then rough cut edges, dents, weird worm looking indentations etc. Once we nail down the right material from a vendor, they run out or change suppliers.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Are you near PolymerShapes /Sabic in CA? We switched to their .012" skinned material and it is much harder and denser than any other we have tried. We are even testing their .020" skinned version and it's incredible. They have always had stock and are very good and easy to work with.

bannertime

Have you tried Nglantz? They are in Irving and deliver in the Mextroplex twice a day. Anytime I call they answer right away but I mostly just order online. I use them almost for 100% of everything. Pricing is on point.

I've got them on my bookmarks and check their pricing frequently, which is typically pretty decent or comparable to Reece and Grimco. I really should use them more.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I just priced out basic aluminum blanks with reflective coating. They were double the cost that I can get at Harbor. And that was at the highest quantity discount.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've got them on my bookmarks and check their pricing frequently, which is typically pretty decent or comparable to Reece and Grimco. I really should use them more.

Do...

I hate Reece in Dallas... they never answer their phone and the lady seems pissed when she has to try a bunch of different extensions cause no one answers.

jman

I just priced out basic aluminum blanks with reflective coating. They were double the cost that I can get at Harbor. And that was at the highest quantity discount.

I've used harbor for 13 years. Grimco plays the price game and I don't care for it. I've seen them drop $50 on a roll of media cause I simply asked for a better price. No thanks

visual800

Grimco was dropped by me several months ago. Bad Service, wrong items shipped, the wait time on some oracal 751 was 2 weeks, that was the last straw. Told the nice lady that calls us to please stop calling. Grimco ruined a lot of great suppliers in the BHAM area and now we are left with S&%$! Never again will I use them, cant wait for them to fall