• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grrrrrrrrr

Colin

CorelDraw X6:

I just printed a 4' x 12' banner, and once it was finished, I noticed that one small part of the vector section from the customer supplied EPS file didn't import properly, the layers got mixed up. When I open the file in Illustrator, it's all good.

Why would this occur in Corel but no Illy?

Colin

No, it was an all-vector file. I've fixed it after-the-fact, but why the heck should this happen only in CorelDraw?

J Hill Designs

was probably exported from illy.

at the very least, with customer supplied art, I will view in wireframe to look for any hidden data

Roto

CorelDraw X6:

I just printed a 4' x 12' banner, and once it was finished, I noticed that one small part of the vector section from the customer supplied EPS file didn't import properly, the layers got mixed up. When I open the file in Illustrator, it's all good.

Why would this occur in Corel but no Illy?

To be on the safe side anything client supplied goes into Photoshop and flattened to one layer saved as a tiff then printed.

I can't stand the pain! :banghead:

A lot of client supplied art has been badly constructed in various ways, so when it is exported from Illy and opened into Corel all sorts of gremlins can pop their ugly heads out to disturb your piece of mind.

Roto

Mosh

If they approved the proof then on them, if not NO YOU!!! Believe, we are coming back, cause the 65% are coming back!!

Colin

To be on the safe side anything client supplied goes into Photoshop and flattened to one layer saved as a tiff then printed.

A lot of client supplied art has been badly constructed in various ways, so when it is exported from Illy and opened into Corel all sorts of gremlins can pop their ugly heads out to disturb your piece of mind.

Yup, lesson learned. I wonder why there's no "Flatten" command in Corel.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

"Convert to bitmap" will flatten all to a single bitmap.
Won't help if Draw did not read the info correctly when you opened it.
You can "select all" cut and paste to move everything to the current layer.
You can drag things all onto one layer in the object manager docker.
I just grabbed the demo of AI6 after it was posted that the pitiful raster limit has been fixed.
Rasterized a 140"x50" eps at 300dpi just to see what would happen - it worked. (2.5gig cymk tif - 42kx15k pixels.)
Was debating on updating x5 to x6 or CS5 toCS6.
CS6 for now -X6 later(maybe).

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

Ya, I tried that to no avail. Nothing changed.

No comprende.

I checked that out, but couldn't see any options which would help.

This particular problem was easily solved by ungrouping the image and going in and correcting the layers of the 8 or 10 contours, I just didn't notice it when I sent it to print.

cdiesel

Anytime you export/import files you're opening yourself up to possible issues. Especially with Corel & .eps, .ai, or .pdf files. The way non-native programs deal with files is sometimes goofy.

Why are you opening an .eps in Corel? Best to just use Illy..

Also, I recommend asking clients to supplied .jpg proofs for any supplied layered artwork so you can double check that everything is good.

Sometimes the file will be fine, but the RIP will misinterpret something and cause an error. We had to reprint a panel for one of our good wholesale clients today because a drop shadow didn't print. No idea why not. Resaved the file out and it printed perfectly..

royster13

Corel and Illustrator are just 2 different programs....Just because each of them can open each others files does not mean they will get it right 100% the time.....As you have so painfully found out.....

Colin

Anytime you export/import files you're opening yourself up to possible issues. Especially with Corel & .eps, .ai, or .pdf files. The way non-native programs deal with files is sometimes goofy.

Why are you opening an .eps in Corel? Best to just use Illy.

The plot thickens. I didn't know what program the EPS file was created in, and given that I have CorelDraw X6, I thought that they'd have all the import filter issues ironed out. Assume nothing!

I initially brought the supplied EPS file into VersaWorks as is, and noticed a tiny little dot in the middle of the print. After determining that it wasn't a piece of dust on my screen, I imported the file into Corel (I have Illy CS5 but don't "work" in it). I ungrouped the file, looked at it in wireframe mode, and sure enough there were three of those tiny little rogue vector shavings just sitting there; something that should not be in the file. I deleted them, looked for any others, and feeling like Mr. Wonderful for finding and fixing a small flaw, exported it again as an EPS.

The rest is history.

Roto

Just export as a Tif file and send to the printer assuming you are using a stand alone RIP, if not using Convert to Bitmap works as well.
Roto

Roto

Just to clarify, any supplied EPS or PDF should be opened in Corel Photopaint then Combine objects together (Object>Combine) and save as a Tif, problem solved.
Roto

Roto

I just grabbed the demo of AI6 after it was posted that the pitiful raster limit has been fixed.
Rasterized a 140"x50" eps at 300dpi just to see what would happen -
Was debating on updating x5 to x6 or CS5 toCS6.
CS6 for now -X6 later(maybe).

wayne k
guam usa

"it worked. (2.5gig cymk tif - 42kx15k pixels.)"

What did your RIP think of that? & why do you need a 300dpi image for wideformat printing?
Just asking?

Maximum size for any Bitmap is 30,000 pixels in Versaworks however you want to make this up :)

Roto

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"it worked. (2.5gig cymk tif - 42kx15k pixels.)"

What did your RIP think of that? & why do you need a 300dpi image for wideformat printing?
Just asking?

Maximum size for any Bitmap is 30,000 pixels in Versaworks however you want to make this up :)

Roto
Flexi(8.6) loaded it up fine - I didn't try to RIP it.
I have no need for a 140" long 300dpi file - just want to see if AI6 would rasterize it. In AI5 you couldn't rasterize a 3'x10' foot banner at 100dpi.
Once i saved out the tiff I cleared the AI file and tried to "place" the bitmap back into the layout - AI could not read the file it just made.
When I dragged and dropped it onto the artboard it worked fine.
Draw(X5) opened the file without complaints.

You are a brave soul to rely on PhotoPaint properly opening an adobe generated eps file so it could be flattened into a tiff.
With X5 PP I ran into too many issues with "live effects" "hidden/locked layers" stroke sizes, font kerning/spacing etc.
I just gave in to the dark side and started using AI.
It turns out to have some very nice tools and is far more compatible editing & printing customer files.

wayne k
guam usa

Techman

The plot thickens. I didn't know what program the EPS file was created in, and given that I have CorelDraw X6, I thought that they'd have all the import filter issues ironed out. Assume nothing!
Corel cannot fix something when another software author uses non standard formats..

All to often it is not the fault of the program that shows the error. It is something fubar in the creating software...