• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Guide to Choosing a Roland Device

FALCON

Hi, I'm going to buy printing and cutting machine, my problem is that at the moment the 9-color wide machine, which includes metallic silver, is not on the Roland site! And the XR-640 model has stopped production. Do you know a suitable device like XR-640?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you want something comparable to the XR I'd look at the Mimaki CJV300. It has 2 DX7 heads just like the XR and many color configurations. Although I would advise you to stay away from metallic ink. You will rarely use it and it just clogs up over time. Same with the white. Every person who has ever gone against my advice came back asking to switch to a different configuration some time later. Unless you have a job that absolutely requires it, I would re-think that part. If you want to go UV, the UCJV300 would be the way to go and would have much better white.

FALCON

I have worked with 4-color Printer a lot, and since I want to expand my work with the new device, I intend to add white and silver, so do you think that both white and metallic silver will damage the printer head? Do you have a documentary?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have worked with 4-color Printer a lot, and since I want to expand my work with the new device, I intend to add white and silver, so do you think that both white and metallic silver will damage the printer head? Do you have a documentary?

It's mostly about the maintenance. If you keep up with it religiously, you can get it to work well. The problem is that if you don't use it a lot, the ink literally just gets pumped into the waste bottle over time. This is just from my experience. I have installed many of these printers over the past 10+ years and when it comes to solvent, white and silver always cause problems.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, when we bought our first printer, I wanted white. They said at the time, unless you think you're gonna use it almost every other day, don't do it. It'll end up driving you crazy and into the poor house with maintenance bills. Even once a week, is not enough. If you run samples through it everyday, then perhaps you might consider it. However, wanting something for a 'once-in-while' occurrance is not a good idea.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm giving you some facts, not recommendations. You need to do your homework and decide. How can I decide when I have no idea of what you do or produce ?? What are your needs as a provider to end-users ?? How much white do you use a day or a week ?? Can you steer your customers away from it ?? Your profile is basically empty, so I can't say.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Which two colors ?? White and metallic ?? If you don't already use them, no need to have them. Once you farm out enough work to warrant one, then get it.

rjssigns

My experience with white inks echos what others have said. No experience with silver but I imagine it causes the same issues. Friends of mine had a UV flatbed with white. They said it's great if you don't mind throwing away $400 in white ink every month.

FYI listen to SolventInkjet(VanderJ). He services printers and knows them inside and out. He's not some clown giving baseless advice.

FALCON

Thank you for your guidance and patience, for the last question between these 4 Print & Cut devices, one of which has lower maintenance costs and more efficiency:

Roland TrueVIS VG2640
Roland CAMM-1GR-640

Or

Mimaki CJV300-160 Plus
Mimaki CG-160FXII Plus

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Thank you for your guidance and patience, for the last question between these 4 Print & Cut devices, one of which has lower maintenance costs and more efficiency:

Roland TrueVIS VG2640
Roland CAMM-1GR-640

Or

Mimaki CJV300-160 Plus
Mimaki CG-160FXII Plus

I would not recommend the GR-640. Got one. hate it.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
there is a laundry list of reasons. we had issues with it right out of the gate. I think there were like 5 firmware updates the first week. After finally getting it to work, the cutting pressure is inconsistant. Doing a kiss cut on a large shape - it will be perfect in most areas, and cut through the liner in others.

One main reason we got the machine was to do kiss/perf cut on larges runs of stickers. Thought it would save us from having to cut them down by hand. This feature has NEVER worked. There is a gap that catches the media when it's going back and forth. Then the media gets bunched up between the pinch rollers and the carriage - critical error and your done. project ruined.

I've gotten it to work for kiss cuts, but occasionally the machine just starts doing wierd things - cutting jobs in random areas. It's possesed. LOL, my boss wont use it, he refers to it as our $7,000 paper weight.

victor bogdanov

I bought a Roland SG2 300 and a Roland SG2 640 about 6 months ago. Both printers have been printing and cutting without issue 8hrs per day. My old VS300 is still going strong after 9 years or so, that printer was initially inked up with white and metallic but those two colors are totally useless and you can't make money with them, too slow and constant clogging, not the best quality, I've had cleaning carriages in those two slots for years now