• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GX24 problem ??

rodp53

Right gents, two questions for the knowledgable if I may, but first a little history of the machine. I bought a used GX24 in very good condition, the picture showed all cables and software disc. On collection though he said the disc was damaged so gave me a memory stick, which wouldn't load. The seller then emailed a link through he said was from Roland GB, this loaded no problem. However, the text in the program (Cut studio) to change cutter settings does not highlight, it's there but feint and does nothing. Problem is no matter what I set the cutter speed to in the cutter, it changes to 0 when work is sent to the cutter.
Would this be a demo version of Cut Studio Roland sent him (do they even do one?), or he's acquired and forwarded to me.
Second problem is when the vinyl is fed out of the cutter the machine squeals quite loudly,after using a Graphtec for a couple of years I find this quite strange? Any opinions on this?
Thanks for reading gents, any info appreciated.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Well I hope by me responding you aren't offended, since I'm not a Gent. I have an old roland gx500 that did not come with software. I was able to go to the roland website and get my software directly from them. No cost. So you shouldn't have an issue there.
As for the squealing. I just had mine serviced and got a new motor put on it. The squealing that was happening stopped.

Is the blade bouncing while it cuts?

rodp53

Hi, not offended in the slightest :) No, the blade cuts without bouncing, just extremely slowly. Although I can set the speed to whatever I want in the machine the software seems to override it and the cutting speed on the machine goes to zero? If I do a test cut by pressing the button on the cutter it cuts at whatever speed I've set the machine to, it seems to be the software (cut studio) that telling the cutter to go to zero and the cutter options in cut studio are not funtioning?

rodp53

Well I hope by me responding you aren't offended, since I'm not a Gent. I have an old roland gx500 that did not come with software. I was able to go to the roland website and get my software directly from them. No cost. So you shouldn't have an issue there.
As for the squealing. I just had mine serviced and got a new motor put on it. The squealing that was happening stopped.

Is the blade bouncing while it cuts?
Just checked again and software (Cut Studio) is disc only, not available as a download?

WildWestDesigns

CutStudio came free with GX or I think it was like a $50 of $60 dollar purchase (probably more now). At least the last time that I remember messing with it. If you have the disc, may be able to get a replacement copy if contact Roland directly.

I don't recall a demo mode, but if was something that the seller got through Roland, since the disc didn't work, that may be possible. I'm inclined to think that if you are seeing a greyed out area of the option. It's been a long time since I messed with CutStudio (I just cut directly from the design program) and I don't even have the program to were I can easily lay my hands on it, so I don't actually even recall that option being there, but my version is almost a decade old (or maybe it is, I've slept since I got the machine and I couldn't tell you the build date of the program itself, so the program itself could be quite a bit older compared to the cutter).

As to the sound, none of mine made that sound, so something may be going on in around there, or memory isn't the only thing going wrong with me and my hearing is also going.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Have you tried running it from one if the plug-ins like the ones built for illustrator, Corel, etc? I thought those were downloadable

our gx is sitting in a corner needing some work. Just started cutting slightly off after a while and couldn’t figure it out. Bought a bigger one and never got around to fixing it

rodp53

Have you tried running it from one if the plug-ins like the ones built for illustrator, Corel, etc? I thought those were downloadable

our gx is sitting in a corner needing some work. Just started cutting slightly off after a while and couldn’t figure it out. Bought a bigger one and never got around to fixing it
Good idea, but for what we use it for Cut Studio is more than adequate so don't really want the hassle of more to go wrong.

Jester

Slow is Fast
You can run the GX24 on Versaworks, which is a free download. But I'm unsure if you need a printer installed in VW also to enable the cutter.

Attila Nagy

Cutstudio is just like plastic fork with the takeaway food. For serious work, get a real Cutting Software. But if you still need a copy, msg me and I can share it with you.

rodp53

Cutstudio is just like plastic fork with the takeaway food. For serious work, get a real Cutting Software. But if you still need a copy, msg me and I can share it with you.
Whilst I quite agree with you, it should do what I want admirably as I usually just do text with the odd simple vector image. I shall message you now as you very kindly offered to share the file. many thanks.

WildWestDesigns

While I agree with the above, some people don't need an entire "workshop" when just a hammer will do. A GX24 in of itself (while I have enjoy the ones that I have and for what I needed (embroidery applique shapes and tshirt vinyl)) is not really for "serious work" as it is. So if the work load is simple, so should the software needs be as well.

rodp53

While I agree with the above, some people don't need an entire "workshop" when just a hammer will do. A GX24 in of itself (while I have enjoy the ones that I have and for what I needed (embroidery applique shapes and tshirt vinyl)) is not really for "serious work" as it is. So if the work load is simple, so should the software needs be as well.
Exactly, our main line of business is industrial covers in pvc or cloth (ripstop canvas), but we do apply lettering etc to some covers for customers. We also supply blank banners to sign writers and do the odd lettered banner. So CutStudio is more than adequate. The poster above has very kindly sent me a copy, just need to get back in the works and try it now.

SYYED SHAKEER

Exactly, our main line of business is industrial covers in pvc or cloth (ripstop canvas), but we do apply lettering etc to some covers for customers. We also supply blank banners to sign writers and do the odd lettered banner. So CutStudio is more than adequate. The poster above has very kindly sent me a copy, just need to get back in the works and try it now.
Hope all is well . Did you get through with the software ? Are you up and running ?

netsol

Right gents, two questions for the knowledgable if I may, but first a little history of the machine. I bought a used GX24 in very good condition, the picture showed all cables and software disc. On collection though he said the disc was damaged so gave me a memory stick, which wouldn't load. The seller then emailed a link through he said was from Roland GB, this loaded no problem. However, the text in the program (Cut studio) to change cutter settings does not highlight, it's there but feint and does nothing. Problem is no matter what I set the cutter speed to in the cutter, it changes to 0 when work is sent to the cutter.
Would this be a demo version of Cut Studio Roland sent him (do they even do one?), or he's acquired and forwarded to me.
Second problem is when the vinyl is fed out of the cutter the machine squeals quite loudly,after using a Graphtec for a couple of years I find this quite strange? Any opinions on this?
Thanks for reading gents, any info appreciated.

what i had to do, we register my used machine with roland. follow the links.
once you are registered owner, you can all customer service in connecticut 800 542 2307

you can ask for media replacement.

i have done this for engraving & milling products from roland (older than your GX) and so far roland has always had what i needed & the fee is around $15

rodp53

Hope all is well . Did you get through with the software ? Are you up and running ?
No, not really. I can get it to cut but cannot change machine settings in Cutstudio, it's continually greyed out, and no matter what speed the cutter is set to as soon as it starts to cut it drops to zero (very slow). Roland say it could be the main board not speaking or replying to the cutting program. Returning the cutter for a refund tomorrow.

Attila Nagy

I do not think anything wrong with the cutter, just try to use a proper cutting software. for testing EasyCut Studio is free to try.