• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gymnasium floor decal

meb

Going to install a 5ft., die-cut black vinyl decal on a freshly sanded gym floor before it is sealed with an oil based finish
but, have never attempted this before. Just wondering if sealer with ruin the integrity of the cut vinyl in any way?
Decal_SAMPLE.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Technically, they should seal the floor first. Then, you put your decal on. Then, many coats of clear should go over the entire floor & decal, until there is no height difference.

Now, a better way would be for you to provide a template. They seal the floor after being sanded and tacked properly, put your template down, PAINT the copy and picture in and then clear coat with just a few coats.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You shouldn't have a problem. Done the same sort of thing with vinyl a number of times over the years with no complaints. You might want to do a small test piece just to see if the vinyl reacts in some way to the proposed sealant.

meb

Technically, they should seal the floor first. Then, you put your decal on. Then, many coats of clear should go over the entire floor & decal, until there is no height difference.

Now, a better way would be for you to provide a template. They seal the floor after being sanded and tacked properly, put your template down, PAINT the copy and picture in and then clear coat with just a few coats.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

meb

You shouldn't have a problem. Done the same sort of thing with vinyl a number of times over the years with no complaints. You might want to do a small test piece just to see if the vinyl reacts in some way to the proposed sealant.
Ya, better safe than sorry. Thank you.

meb

I really thought this would be going under the climbing rope, and would be one of these outlines. Then I scrolled down...
View attachment 161423
Only time I've worked with court floors was providing templates to a painter. He went and laid them out, painted, then presumably cleared over it. I'm not really sure though, we weren't in on the project, just the templates.
hahaha. Thanks for the visual! . . . . and your thoughts.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Just got done doing Cast Vinyl Printed graphics on a gym floor. They sealed the floor first, let it dry good and then we layed our graphics then they put several more coats of clear on floor and graphics.
Also hand painted gym floor graphics using perforated patterns / Chalk dust and cut vinyl paint stencils just like the video