• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Hammer Drill & Bits

Milo

I'm looking for the Honey Badger of Hammer Drill & Bits to install studs into brick. Prefer one that is battery operated. Also, are there any top notch bits that will last longer than others?

I just went through an install on brick that literally bogged me down because the brick must have been hard as granite. I went through ten 3/16" bits on this install. Thanks for the input.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Just about any of the big name drills will perform well. It more depends on if you currently have a cordless line of tools. If you do, it just makes sense to get that brand. If you don't, the next factor would be how much you will actually need/use it. If the answer is 'rarely', you could look for a good used DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Hilti etc. on Craigslist, 5miles, or your local pawn shop. If it's something you want to purchase new, it's really just personal preference among those same brands just mentioned.

There's also a big difference between a hammer drill and an SDS rotary hammer. The SDS is far more powerful. So it just depends which of those better fits your needs.

As far as bits, go with Bosch....Bosch Bulldog Xtreme for an SDS.

visual800

I have a milwaukee 18 volt and I use nothing but blue the blue bosch masonry bits....that drill suffices BUT you cannot beat a plug in rotary hammer drill. I dont care if you have to buy a generator this is the best method for drilling masonry. That rotary part is the key, it does thing a cordless wont. UNTIL they come out with a rotary/hammer cordless this is what I would do. And always buy Bosch Masonry bits, there is none better in my option

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
There's also a big difference between a hammer drill and an SDS rotary hammer. The SDS is far more powerful.

Absolutely! We engrave cemetery monuments and natural stone, and every once in a while we have to mount bronze plaques. Everything we do is hard stone, and an SDS is the only thing that will work.

Drilling stone is not like drilling wood or metal. The SDS drill is nothing more than a revolving chisel that literally chips its way down a hole by using impact instead of shearing or friction. And while the spiral flutes assist in lifting out the dust, they will quickly load up and cause the drill to heat up and bind...especially with soft stone and brick, as you have mentioned

Use light pressure and use a light "pecking" motion to keep the flutes clear. I always step drill my holes since that keeps the bit from wandering (for big holes, I start out with a 1/8" or 3/16" and gradually increase bit size as needed).

Don't forget to use a center punch to establish a deep mark in the stone. It's extremely difficult to get a hole back on location once your drill bit wanders.

JB

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I have a milwaukee 18 volt and I use nothing but blue the blue bosch masonry bits....that drill suffices BUT you cannot beat a plug in rotary hammer drill. I dont care if you have to buy a generator this is the best method for drilling masonry. That rotary part is the key, it does thing a cordless wont. UNTIL they come out with a rotary/hammer cordless this is what I would do. And always buy Bosch Masonry bits, there is none better in my option

Sorry, going to have to disagree....the cordless stuff that's out will easily hang with their corded counterparts...often even outperforming. Doesn't matter if it's for studs, like the OP is asking about or if it's for large anchors & rebar...there are cordless options that king. No cords. No generators. No gas.

visual800

Sorry, going to have to disagree....the cordless stuff that's out will easily hang with their corded counterparts...often even outperforming. Doesn't matter if it's for studs, like the OP is asking about or if it's for large anchors & rebar...there are cordless options that king. No cords. No generators. No gas.

understood thats why I said "until" they come out with one thats cordless" I assume they are out there! Cool! I had no idea. We are always the last to get cool stuff down here

Moze

Precision Sign Services
understood thats why I said "until" they come out with one thats cordless" I assume they are out there! Cool! I had no idea. We are always the last to get cool stuff down here

Gotchya. I haven't purchased tools in a box store in quite a while...everything I get is off Amazon, Acme Tools, CPO, etc.

I didn't think SDS came in cordless so I looked and all the major players have them. Learn sumthin' new everyday.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Power-Tools-Drills/SDS-Plus/Cordless/N-5yc1vZc27fZ1z10zwzZ1z140i3

Cordless SDS Plus drills have been out for quite a few years. SDS Max ahas been out for a while as well.

Just about any construction tool out there is available in a cordless version....table saws, circular saws, band saws, miter saws, demolition hammers, jobsite lighting, etc. Outdoor equipment also....chain saws, lawn mowers, blowers...

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Purchase a decent rotary hammer from a major brand as mentioned by others here (we prefer Milwaukee but they all do the job). Get a larger one than you need, you’ll be glad you have it later on. If you go cordless get an extra large battery too.

As far as bits go, the Bosch and Milwaukee’s have always performed well. As you know, they don’t last forever so get a few. You’re drilling through stone so bits naturally get hot and dull over time. We will dip bits in 3-in-1 oil to help cool and get a little more life out of them but they are still a “consumable” supply so treat them as such.

petrosgraphics

i have used the same hilti corded drill for more than 10 years. justs depends what your needs are. if your looking in the future to drilling a lot of holes between 3/8" to 3/4" you need the corded drill. anything larger than that, simply rent a larger drill, either buy the size bit you need or rent. Bosch makes very good bits.

CentralSigns

Makita BHR 241 Rotary Hammer Drill w/ 18V Li-Ion Battery & Charger | OO354
s-l64.jpg

RThants what we use. Best investment ever for small to medium jobs

Moze

Precision Sign Services
i have used the same hilti corded drill for more than 10 years. justs depends what your needs are. if your looking in the future to drilling a lot of holes between 3/8" to 3/4" you need the corded drill. anything larger than that, simply rent a larger drill, either buy the size bit you need or rent. Bosch makes very good bits.

He just mentioned drilling for studs in brick....so I'm guessing he's not drilling much more than 3/16". But even so, there are cordless rotary hammers that will drill 3/4" holes all day with ease.

visual800

Hotdamn cordless SDS. Nope I dont buy from Home Depot or Lowes Either I get all tools off ebay or amazon. They are tons cheaper Guess I never realized these were on the shelves of these stores

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I got serious about purchasing good tools, I started with Makita. Then, switched to DeWalt, but I'm back with Makita, again. DeWalt only lasted a few years in our shop , when I realized they were basically high end-home user tools and not for professional use. I don't think ya can beat Makita. I still like corded tools over cordless, but there is a place for everything. We almost always have a generator with us, so that's not a concern.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
When I got serious about purchasing good tools, I started with Makita. Then, switched to DeWalt, but I'm back with Makita, again. DeWalt only lasted a few years in our shop , when I realized they were basically high end-home user tools and not for professional use. I don't think ya can beat Makita. I still like corded tools over cordless, but there is a place for everything. We almost always have a generator with us, so that's not a concern.

In the interest of not steering people wrong, those were the old stem pack DeWalt tools....assuming these are the same DeWalt tools you've referenced in the past as being junk. The newer DeWalt tools are definitely not high end home user.

All of the big players are on a pretty level playing field. Which platform you pick depends primarily on your needs. Every big player keeps making the other players raise the bar. Cordless compressors, nail guns, lighting, mowers, blowers, saws, radios, etc....gas and cords are largely getting phased out.

For heavy, all day shop use or if your bucket trucks are already set up to run electrical tools out of the bucket, sure, I can see maybe using corded (but now you have to have a generator running, the noise, a cord, etc. For most field work, a cord and generator is a bit antiquated. Why lug a generator and cord around when you can drill a few hundred holes with a couple of batteries and a cordless rotary hammer....?