• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand Carved Signs

neato

These are some of the hand carved signs I've done. Nothing too fancy, just trying to hone my carving skills.

Attachments

• 20170303_112600.jpg
    20170303_112600.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 559
  • 20180829_075623.jpg
    20180829_075623.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 433
  • Earp.jpg
    Earp.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 425
  • Rogers.jpg
    Rogers.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 432
  • Jenifer.png
    Jenifer.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 420
  • OakHill.png
    OakHill.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 432

GB2

Old Member
You really are carving out a nice little niche business for yourself Phillip....nice job! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

signman315

Signmaker
If you're carving that lettering by hand then big ups to you!!! Nice work!!! I've seen guys carve worse looking lettering using a CNC, good job brother! But I do have to admit that I fear it's going to amount a very cool hobby, would be tough to regularly get the right price for a hand-carved piece like those and output them fast enough to make a buck. Great work, but probably the average consumer isn't educated enough to understand it's value. How long did a sign like "Owen" take from start to finish?

neato

If you're carving that lettering by hand then big ups to you!!! Nice work!!! I've seen guys carve worse looking lettering using a CNC, good job brother! But I do have to admit that I fear it's going to amount a very cool hobby, would be tough to regularly get the right price for a hand-carved piece like those and output them fast enough to make a buck. Great work, but probably the average consumer isn't educated enough to understand it's value. How long did a sign like "Owen" take from start to finish?

I honestly don't remember how long I had into it.

I will say that once you do a few of these, you can carve letters fairly fast. They have been profitable. :) But the biggest profit for me is being able to step away from the computer and create something with my hands. These are very satisfying to make.

signman315

Signmaker

I will say that once you do a few of these, you can carve letters fairly fast. They have been profitable. :) But the biggest profit for me is being able to step away from the computer and create something with my hands. These are very satisfying to make.
That's great, keep up the good work!

DerbyCitySignGuy

I know that feeling! I actually don't even mind doing cookie cutter signs that much anymore, since a major portion of my day is spent either talking on the phone or doing desk work.

jimbug72

Very nice work. I've been messing around with some hand carving myself. Here are some terrible quality pictures of my first "serious" project I made out of some random scraps of untreated 1x yellow pine lumber. There are some anatomy issues with it I'm not crazy about and I didn't realize it until gluing it up that I dyed the tail piece colors upside down... But I'm pretty happy with the end result, except the fact that I hate the finished piece because of the brain fart on the tail color. Think I'm going to try to do a couple of "straight" fish before attempting another "bent" fish..

Attachments

• Stage 1.jpg
    Stage 1.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 326
  • Stage 2.jpg
    Stage 2.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 319
  • Stage 3.jpg
    Stage 3.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Stage 4.jpg
    Stage 4.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Stage  5.jpg
    Stage 5.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Stage 6-Finished.jpg
    Stage 6-Finished.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 319

jimbug72

These are very satisfying to make.
I couldn't agree more. There's something very satisfying about those curls of stock coming up off the chisel and watching the shape slowly come to life. Very cathartic for me.

That looks great! You should be happy with how that turned out.
Thanks. That means a lot!

I wasn't really planning on selling this because of the bum tail but I brought up to the shop this afternoon to show a co-worker. The owner sent a picture to his son-in-law and he offered me $300 for it... so it's sold... and now they want me to do more for their beach house.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I couldn't agree more. There's something very satisfying about those curls of stock coming up off the chisel and watching the shape slowly come to life. Very cathartic for me.

Thanks. That means a lot!

I wasn't really planning on selling this because of the bum tail but I brought up to the shop this afternoon to show a co-worker. The owner sent a picture to his son-in-law and he offered me $300 for it... so it's sold... and now they want me to do more for their beach house.

Looks good to me! We're all our own worst critics (well, SOME of us) and I didn't even notice the colors on the tail until you pointed it out.

I really like how you incorporated that knot into the design. Thumbs up.