• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand-held Rotary Cutter

Pat Whatley

I had a 45 and hated it. Maybe it sucked....maybe it was user error. All I know is it went away and I'm still here.

GB2

Old Member
I don't have one but have tried one in the past. They are fine I think, if you have the right table surface for using it. For what it's worth, the web site states that the 45 is the most popular and if you are interested in any of the decorative blades, they only fit the deluxe ergonomic 45.

Colin

I had a 45 and hated it. Maybe it sucked....maybe it was user error.

Do you mean that you disliked the rotary idea altogether, or the size?

It seems to me that it would save wear & tear on the various surfaces that I normally use an exacto-blade (OLFA) on.

gabagoo

how much are the replacement blades and how long do they last? I have never even seen one before.
I use my stainless steel olfas for the most part or my heavy duty olfa's for trimming banners and such.

Colin, who in Canada sells them?

Colin

Colin, who in Canada sells them?

I don't know yet, but I imagine that places that sell the OLFA line-up might have 'em. Or, fabric stores? It doesn't need to be the OLFA brand, but historically they do make a good product.

We use one here some times. I like using it to cut magnet. It's a 45mm. I have a OLFA and a no name one and they work equally as well. I buy my replacement blades from here. Their blades are about half what OLFA's are and I can't tell the difference in them. I also have one of their holders too.

Billct2

Tried the rotary didn't like it.
Still prefer an xacto for fine work (like weeding & fixing vinyl errors), cheap snap offs for general stuff (like cutting up transfer taped graphics) and a utilty knife for heavy stuff (like cutting mag)

I use one of these.

Attachments

• 526601.jpg
    526601.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 116

dwt

I have one and can't remember the last time I used it. I feel like I can pull a straighter line with the regular olfa snap blades.

Pat Whatley

What they said...I always had problems getting it to cut straight. Plus, since I hate using the safety ruler and cut everything with a metal yardstick I was always having trouble with it running up onto the ruler and trying to cut my arm off.

Now everything gets cut with an x-acto or an single edges razor blade.

Sign to Go

hid that rotary cutter

We have that Rotary Cutter. It's now hidden away. Looked to dangerous to me. In the cases where I would use it, I'm more comfortable with a good utility knife.

CanuckSigns

blades are crazy expensive too, like $12 each, these would be good in a trimmer mounted on a track system, but as others have said, almost impossible to cut a straight line with these.

Jane Diaz

We use the snap off blades at work but I use them all the time at home with quilting. Love then for fabric!! I have three different sizes at home.