• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hand painted banner

Si Allen

Just remember ... enamel paint on a banner WILL NOT DRY ... it will remins sticky!

The plasticizers will migrate into enamel, leaving it wet!

You need a barrier coat to make it enamel receptive.

Ti-coat or even Johnson "Future" floor finish will do the job ... just coat the whole banner with it and use whatever paint that you want on it.

Craig Sjoquist

Paint pusher ... no one mention what paint to use on ..Vinyl Banner material that works well easy to use and so forth ... Ronan's AquaCoat .. it's water based lettering, comes in all the great colors to a gloss and lasts.
I've hand lettering vinyl banners this way for many years and alot of other surfaces.

Like your art work by the way.

I applaud you lettering by hand, here in this town I get alot of work because most shops with vinyl and print do not know how to layout a advertisement but they can push buttons well and real business people understand what good advertisement is and want it to last more then 3 years for permanent signage and for temporary signage like you do it takes to much effort to cut or print unless several so keep on keeping on hand lettering.

You may also want to pick up ..Mike Stevens Mastering Layout book .. it will help a great deal improve your work.

Mal

Hey Paint Pusher

Not enough experience here to advise you definitively, but I'll share what worked for me.
I had to paint several existing bright red awnings that were made of banner material. I cleaned and degreased the bejeezuz out of them, then sprayed them with Krylon Fusion Plastic paint, in an off white colour. It took a few coats to kill the red, but eventually it was good solid coverage. I let it cure for several dry summer days, then laid vinyl graphics on it. I was terrified that the transfer tape would pull up the paint, but it didn't at all. My point in saying this is that the Fusion could be used in your case as a base coat for top painting with your artwork. Just a thought---Mal

paint pusher

Thanks guys. I am in northern Ca above Santa Rosa. It gets real cold and rainy here and my garage is not insulated. (drying times) Anyhow, I am having trouble on ordering these things online. Ronan paints, 1 shot clear(5004). I called the local paint store and they dont carry 1 shot primers. also the banners say to clean with de natured alcohol before anything. Would I have to clean it again after that or let it evaporate? I have been busy with other signs and I have today to work on it. I am still trying to figure out the best time on this thing and it sounds like I will have to special order something which ever way I choose. I would like more information on the floor stuff though.
thanks,
Chad.

Billct2

You cannot paint on those banners without some kind of barrier coat, unless you use vinyl inks or waterbased enamels (not latex house paint). Cleaning with alcohol is just to get it ready for applying vinyl (or applying that ti-coat). Your best bet is to order a can of one of the many options listed above (never heard of the floor finish trick).

paint pusher

O.k. here is what i think the verdict is. due to time and cost constraints.I think I will go with the "future" for now and use a japan drier. I was hoping to order some Ronan but I dont think it will get here on time. let me know what you guys think and I will let you know how it turns out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can put all the jap drier in you want.... it's not going to dry unless you clean the banner with alcohol and THEN coat it with ti-coat or some other similar product before applying 1Shot, Ronan or any other paint.... even acrylic paint won't dry.

If you would've planned better, you could've had any of these products on your doorstep with 72 hours or less.

Last edited:

d-signtech

just my two cents, i do alot of hand painted signs. wooden metal plastic etc., im mainly an airbrusher and use createx or auto air paints (waterbased) i can spray or brush onto a banner, then i take an old towel lay it over top, take an iron and crank it high and iron the material to heat set the paint in (hair dryer/heat gun also works) which would help in your environment. ive been doing these practices on all sorts of materials without any failure. ill actually try a banner tonight, (been awhile since i have done one) and let you know of anyother tricks i might come across that i forgot due to second nature of doing it

artsnletters

I remember something called "enam-L-kote" or something to that nature for making banners paintable as well...

i have about half a quart of that stuff in my cabinet...just in case....it was made by Best Buy Banner co in Riverside. I believe they quit making it. I keep the leftover amount for doing spare tire covers made of naugahyde. I used to use enamlkote a ton years ago. Now its quicker faster and cheaper to do a digital banner, but truthfully, you couldnt even compare a bitchen roller faded & hand lettered (and maybe airbrushed) banner to the digital one. The colors saturation and impact were much brighter with the paint. At least i think so.
Tim

Billct2

Gino, he said he was going to try Si's suggestion of Johnson Future Finish as the barrier coat. I guess the jap dryer is just to speed the paint drying up, because as we know, ain't nothing going to speed up enamel drying on an uncoated vinyl banner. I had one I did by mistake back when that was still sticky months later.

Patrick46

Does PaintPusher know that there's no money to be made in doing warranty work???

Dude...if you cut corners, due to underbudgeting or lack of prep time (like this sounds like)...you're gonna bomb this job & have to redo it!!! :doh:

I live 3 hours straight up the coast from you, and I paint my banners. I live in the exact same climate as you...so you need to coat it out properly...or in two weeks a very unhappy customer will be banging on your door...TRUST ME!!!
(I'm not at my shop right now, otherwise I'd tell you what I coat mine with)

Good luck man!!

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I used to paint all my vinyl banners with vinyl silkscreening ink diluted with lacquer thinner... Its a little hard on the quills, but...

Oh, and 3" rollers for covering large areas and filling in large letters...