• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

handicap parking sign question

Marlene

what is the difference between the all blue refelctive background with white copy and the white reflective background with green copy and blue symbol? is there any difference? why are there two styles?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Are you talking about the signs that go on posts in a parking lot or the tags that hang from rearview mirrors?

The different colors on the mirror tags mean different things depending on where you live. Certain colors mean temporary tag (for people with a broken leg or something) and others mean permanent tag, and so on.

I'm relatively certain the different colors on lot signs are just aesthetic. ADA rules only require high contrast colors, as far as I know.

[Edit: Just to clarify, there may state rules or laws about such things, but I don't think the ADA requires any specific color schemes.]

Marlene

some states have specific color combo's (IIRC Seton shows different ones for different states)

I learn something new everyday. I had no idea. I checked the colors and it seems that all most every handicap parking in my state is wrong as they seem to be all the blue background type.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I learn something new everyday. I had no idea. I checked the colors and it seems that all most every handicap parking in my state is wrong as they seem to be all the blue background type.

:ROFLMAO: that means one of two things..... either your codes departments all over don't know what they're doing when handing out permits..... or the rest of them just do as they please and rather than ask permission, just ask forgiveness afterwards.

Either way, why not start a campaign in your state and tell them to contract you to fix A L L the dang signs or you will have their heads on a plate for allowing signs to go up illegally...... :noway:

Marlene

:ROFLMAO: that means one of two things..... either your codes departments all over don't know what they're doing when handing out permits..... or the rest of them just do as they please and rather than ask permission, just ask forgiveness afterwards.

Either way, why not start a campaign in your state and tell them to contract you to fix A L L the dang signs or you will have their heads on a plate for allowing signs to go up illegally...... :noway:

good idea. we could send out a post card letting them know that they are out of compliance and go for it

ddarlak

Go Bills!
good idea. we could send out a post card letting them know that they are out of compliance and go for it

yea, real good idea...If i got a card from a sign company telling me that my useless handicap parking sign isn't the right color and i'm out of compliance with some stupid government regulation, I would be livid. to the point of never using that company, ever....

handicap spaces are another one of those great ideas that went wrong. the only people i ever see using them are fat, overweight people who are handicapped because they eat too much???

Marlene

yea, real good idea...If i got a card from a sign company telling me that my useless handicap parking sign isn't the right color and i'm out of compliance with some stupid government regulation, I would be livid. to the point of never using that company, ever....

handicap spaces are another one of those great ideas that went wrong. the only people i ever see using them are fat, overweight people who are handicapped because they eat too much???

that is a real dick thing to say. it is a great idea and is abused. as far as sending a card I actually would talk to my customers who have the blue signs and let them know. there are people who do noting but drive around looking for non-compliance. the signs I just did that were the federal specs was because of one of these people who noticed the parking at a restaurant chain didn't have the proper amount of parking. the fact that you would be "livid" is your problem as a sign is cheaper than a fine, get over yourself

StarSign

Nothing I hate more then seeing non-compliant handicap signs. I have one just down the road from me that is a Nevada spec sign (I'm in Utah) and to add to add insult to injury it's in front of a lawyers office!!!

DerbyCitySignGuy

I hate to say it, but most people just don't care. Remember how often you paid attention to signs before you worked in the sign industry?

2B

I hate to say it, but most people just don't care. Remember how often you paid attention to signs before you worked in the sign industry?

its reality, the only time that you are concerned or care is when you are affected / inconvenienced / cost you money