• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hangar door panorama

visual800

if you go the banner route signs2trade offer an 8oz banner that would be perfect for this installation, you have to message them about this weight though

gnubler

I'm in talks with the customer to relay the various options. We'll see what pans out and find out how serious they are or are not about a job like this.

gnubler

I'm too new at this to be wise yet, still working on it. But it's a very valid point as I recently learned with the cheap real estate agent crap job. The hangar job is for an aircraft manufacturer so I'm presuming they have a budget of more than $500.

gnubler

Back to this one again, I'm steering the customer toward doing a banner.

Came across this thread from Texas Signmaker where he installed tons of large banners on corrugated metal buildings, fastened through grommets. Tex, how did this job ever turn out and do you have any installation tips? I want the banner to be flat and tight, no wrinkles or slack where wind could pick it up. https://www.signs101.com/threads/10x40-foot-banner-what-matieral.163460/

Has anyone used tensioned J-hooks and conduit in pole pockets? One hook every four feet, seems like a much easier and less invasive install than building a frame. https://www.rgsignsupply.com/Rigid-Flex-p/r-flex.htm

Would you go with lighweight vinyl, mesh, or fabric banner?

Z SIGNS

Agrees with Bill. It carries the least liability for you. This could be a nice/ fun job and it's in everyone's best interest to do it in away like that.
Here's your chance to unleash your creativity
Paint a nice cloud scene. Slap on some cool manageable stickers.
If your here to be creative come up with something you know how to create. Anything is possible depending on how much you think its's worth and they are willing to spend.
Hope you get the job

gnubler

I'm looking into doing a lightweight vinyl or mesh banner attached with a Keder bead & rail system on all four sides. Has anyone used this for an oversize exterior banner on corrugated siding?

Video showing the basic concept, these guys are only using a top rail, but we'd run it on all four sides for maximum tension. Install top rail, slide in the banner, then attach bottom rail, then attach each side. Thoughts?

gnubler

Free entertainment for the forum? What could possibly go wrong!

Using this system the whole thing, including hardware, tops out at 107 lbs with vinyl and 72 lbs with mesh.

gnubler

Would this be a good candidate for sealed edge graphics? I've only installed one once, don't remember too much about how the extrusion was shaped or anything. Might be worth looking into as well. Though looking at it now, it may be too heavy of a product to rely on a compressed/friction fit.
Like this: https://xcelproducts.com/products/34-retro-fit/
Don't think that would work, looks like that's meant to go inside a frame or opening, and there would be too much projection it mounted on the hangar door. I appreciate the suggestion though!

gnubler

Bump. This might actually become a job. Going out to the hangar next week to inspect it.

Has anyone installed a building banner using a Keder rail? Haven't found much info about Keder on the forum, but there's a lot on Youtube.

Jester

Slow is Fast
I can't speak to the best type of graphic materials, but can give a little insight on their ability to bear weight. These vertical bifold doors are very stout. They have to be able to operate in high winds, which can impose some huge loads due to their large surface area. I've ridden a couple of different 60-foot wide hangar doors up by standing on the bottom rail. Not an OSHA-approved activity so don't try this at home kids, but the doors and their lift mechanisms handled my 220 pounds with ease.