• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hard Drive Problem - Access Denied

WulfGrafix

I wasn't sure where to put this, here or in the computer hardware section... if it's in the wrong place, sorry :)

I recently had a HP die a horrible death. Something went wrong with the mother board during my ill fated attempt at upgrading memory. Yes, I killed it.

I went and purchased a new system, an e-machine. (only one available locally so hold the comments please :)

I took the HD out of the HP, set the jumper to make it a slave drive and installed it in the new system. It shows up as drive F, I can access the drive and access most of the folders and files on the drive. (programs, windoze, etc... )

What I can't access is any folder or file I created inside 'My Pictures'. I can see those folders, and sometimes the files, but when I try to open or move them I get an 'access denied' message. For instance, in drive F I can browse to 'My Pictures > 'Job Pics' and see a file called 'storeentry' but I cannot open or move that file.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Replicator

I've had that happen on CD's and the problem was that the files had become corrupt . . .

I'm not sure that this is what happened too you, but with you frying your
motherboard, you may have inadvertently damaged your hard-drive as well . . .

OOPS!

gr85z

If you are the "admin" on your machine depending on the OS you are running. You can change the security permissions on it and make it read write to everyone.
Helpful bits to know.
What OS are you using?
Are user names the same between both systems?
Is the second hard drive on the same controller?
Are the controllers SATA or IDE?
If you have model number of system I will look it up on net and see what I can do to help you.

James

WulfGrafix

OOOPS is right... lol

Since I can get to all the other files on the HD except these few which I created in the 'my documents' folder, I'm hoping that nothing is corrupt.

I'm thinking that there is some sort of security scheme since it's an HP drive in an e-machines system that's not allowing me to access these 'private' files... make sense? If so, I'm sure there's a way to bypass it and get to them, but everything I've tried hasn't worked.

I thought about resetting the drive to be the master and booting from it, but I'm afraid of trying that. I imagine that the drive doesn't have the right settings/drivers/etc... for this computer and I'll kill another one. That would fall under the category of BAD!

Dan

WulfGrafix

I am admin on the system and running XP, the user name is the same on both systems. The second HD is daisy chained to the first, as slave, and is IDE.

As for model numbers... the e-machine is a W3107... I do not remember what the HP was, unfortunately it's not around any more to check.

gr85z

not saying you don't know what you are doing but have ssen before. Make sure the first drive is set to master.
You can boot the the orig. drive to the new system the drivers should find themsleves and boot at least if it does come up even in safe mode you can drop the files you need off onto thumb drive and recover that way them change drives back and reformat the orig so you have an extra drive. I would also recommend taking the orig drive and putting it on secondary controller if available this will help with through put and might help with jumper settings etc.

Checkers

You may get lucky and have a simple fix as James is implying.
To overly simplify the process, you have to assume the permissions of the old machine with the new machine. This can be done by selecting the files/folders and changing the security properties.

Checkers

Techman will be the best to asnswer this BUT....

"My Pictures" is associated with the "user" and the "name" of the machine. There may be other ways to get to the files but try and see if you can remember what the names were on the older machine. Entering them should alleviate the issue.

For future reference, do not place photo files in My Pictures. Create a folder named PICS, and place a shortcut in My Pictures.

Good luck.

WulfGrafix

Techman will be the best to asnswer this BUT....

"My Pictures" is associated with the "user" and the "name" of the machine. There may be other ways to get to the files but try and see if you can remember what the names were on the older machine. Entering them should alleviate the issue.

For future reference, do not place photo files in My Pictures. Create a folder named PICS, and place a shortcut in My Pictures.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Is there a way to get the name and user of the old machine from the HD?

Now to move everything out of the "My ***" folders. ughhhh!

Techman

You can access the hd but you may need the user and or pass.\
This is what a computer tech can do for you..

Anyway,, I would charge about an hour for this

you must make sure indexin gis not looking at yoru files.. so. turn off Indexing service

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.. scroll down double click on Indexing, click Stop button.

That elimiates 'file in use' nag most times.

Then If you are getting a nag about ' access denied' and a 'permission' nag.. The easiest way for me to point the way is to recommend you find the Knowledge Base article, 'how to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP' to get the files.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

OR you can use a pass user name util to find that on the old drive..

Bradster941

The reason your having this problem, I believe, is because the My Pictures folder is created by the Windows OS.

The simple solution, as you tried to do, is to create a new folder, then copy all the contents from the My Pictures folder into it.

Well, sounds simple, but Windows XP won’t let you do it, so here is a free work around that you can do in Dos. Yea, I know, Dos sucks but still works.

create the new folder
md olddata
then move yourself to the folder where the files are
cd windows\{name}\MyDoctuments\MyPictures [or whatever the string/folder location is]
Then enter this:
xcopy *.* c:\olddata /s
The /s will copy all the subdirectories

Now your files will be in a new folder called olddata and you should be able to open them from Windows.

‘Oh yea, to get to dos;

START - ALL PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - COMMAND PROMPT

Hope this helps….

Brad

WulfGrafix

The advice by Techman worked... THANKS!!!

My dumb*ss self forgot to take over one of the folders... so went in via DOS and moved the rest... lol

Now ask me if there are any files left on my puter under the default "My ***"... NOPE :D

Again, Thanks to all for the advice!