• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hard Substrate for outside image

GhostPrinting

Looking at mounting images to a metal building and looking for a substrate to attach my print to. Previously item was used broke down in the sun after about 5 years. 4 ft by 4 ft. THanks

CanuckSigns

There are a bunch out there, the most common would be aluminum composite panel, for ultimate durability 0.080" solid aluminum would work as well. Avoid MDO as the stuff they sell now is horrible compared to the stuff from 15+ years ago.

Anything I put outside I try to coat with SEM 13003 vinyl clearcoat as it protects and has anti UV properties so it slows sun fade. But Canuck is right, Aluminum is best for this. You said "attach" your print? you may be better off printing direct onto the white coated aluminum, and then spraying the SEM 13003 on it. That's what I do for my outdoor real estate sale and open house signs. Plus I made some 4'x8' Festival signs like that that have lasted for years, I just make some vinyl numbers to change the dates every year.

Billct2

A cast laminated print on aluminum composite panel would be the obvious choice. But the print will fade after 5 years or so depending on exposure.

GhostPrinting

Anything I put outside I try to coat with SEM 13003 vinyl clearcoat as it protects and has anti UV properties so it slows sun fade. But Canuck is right, Aluminum is best for this. You said "attach" your print? you may be better off printing direct onto the white coated aluminum, and then spraying the SEM 13003 on it. That's what I do for my outdoor real estate sale and open house signs. Plus I made some 4'x8' Festival signs like that that have lasted for years, I just make some vinyl numbers to change the dates every year.
Do you like the SEM 13003 better than the Frog Juice Sun Screen? I've been using it and it has held up for me so far.

JBurton

Signtologist
Avoid MDO as the stuff they sell now is horrible compared to the stuff from 15+ years ago.
Really? I don't use a ton of the stuff, but the couple sheets I keep on hand, in the bed of my truck most of the time, show no signs of warp or degradation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We were getting MDO made in finland and there wasn't a single void and they were truly flat. No cupping or bowing. I've had MDO last as much as 20 & 25 years outside in all kindsa conditions. In fact, they outlasted the 1Shot which was good back then.

CanuckSigns

There are different qualities of MDO.
Big box versions are not the same as a quality panel from a sign supplier
The stuff we get from grimco is horrible, the sheets arrive warped beyond belief, and there are so many voids in the plys. It's also almost twice the price of acm.

Ryze Signs

ACM is the cheapest option and would probably last longer than the print. Aluminum will last the longest. You can typically apply and remove several prints to the same sheet over its lifetime. It can be bought in several thicknesses such as .040, .063,.80,.090..125 etc. I wouldn't go any thinner than .080 without a frame.

I prefer to mount on metal buildings using two pieces of aluminum angle that are attached to the building, then two more pieces attached to the back of the panel. The panel then nests over and gets screwed to the angle attached to the building. You can inset the angle a bit and hide all the fasteners. You can now easily make a new panel and quickly swap it when it's worn or changes tenants