• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has Artificial Intelligence gone too far?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I say no!

MOTUS.JPG

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

You know, something like this can be a wonderful tool, if the user knows what it's abstracting away and if something isn't quite kosher (and especially at this point in time, going to happen more often than not), it takes the user knowing what's missing in order to fix it. Start getting people that are used to mainly working with AI for the most part, that knowledge is going to go away. See that with any industry that has gotten more and more automated and people are drawn to it because of said automation and what that abstracts away from them (which also is what locks people into certain software). I also foresee less creativity coming from people, that part of the brain muscle isn't going to be as exercised as it once was. At least the ones that are mid and lower tier within whatever industry one is talking about.

At this point, AI is a glorified web scraper and aggregator (the problem is, that leads to a big legal pickle as well, because at this point, it doesn't collate licensing etc (I think of art and programming as that would be the two uses that I would have for it)) and that's pretty much it. Github/MS already come under fire for that with open source software, particularly GPL licensed.

What I foresee is more quality product being put behind paywalls in order to make it a little harder (or they would have to have a paid partnership) for AI to scrape the info. So at some point, what's out there not behind a paywall will be less quality product (especially tutorials/writeups or art/code samples etc).

AI is definitely going to be the future for the bigger companies etc (entertainment for sure), but I don't think the quality is going to be the same (well, given what's coming out now with reboots, sequels, and/or live action remakes, maybe it is the same).

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Here's what chatGPT has to say when I asked it if AI has gone too far because it can make pictures of presidents with mullets:

No, AI has not gone too far if it can make images of presidents with mullets. The ability of AI to generate realistic images using deep learning algorithms has advanced significantly in recent years, and it can be used for various purposes, including generating humorous or satirical images. While the idea of creating images of presidents with mullets may seem trivial or silly, it is an example of how AI can be used for creative and entertaining purposes. However, it is essential to ensure that the use of AI-generated images is ethical and does not harm any individuals or groups.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I first started getting creeped out by those commercials. Where they use a clip from a movie, and they have the actors saying something completely different - selling car insurance or something. It was mind blowing, because the movie they used is so old, there's no way they brought in those actors to redo that. They don't look like that anymore. It's all computer generated, but so real looking.

Edit, I guess it was a commercial for direct TV - and after looking for the clip, and watching it - I think maybe they just dubbed in the voices. Nevermind.

Last edited:

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Legality issues are already coming up on AI generated artwork. In order to receive a copyright, art has to be created by a human, it's in the rules, always has been. AI is like the chinese market, it doesn't create something new, it copies it from other sources, hence no AI created image or art can be legally copyrighted. Getty images already has lawsuits filed against one of these AI sites because portions of their logo has been found transposed in some of the generated artwork. A comic creator had their copyright pulled when they found out that it was all AI generated. It's cool technology, and it'll be quite interesting to watch how it all plays out legally.

spb

✨鞄➕
Gigapixel is outrageous. Someone sent me some blocky, noisy low-res JPEGs to make 11x14s out of and I was actually able to pull it off without it looking like trash. It really does what it says it does. Not a shill, just super impressed.

I've messed around with Stable Diffusion and DALLE-2 when I got my invite last year, and they're kind of fun to play with for a minute, but the novelty wears off very quickly and it's no substitute for an illustrator or graphic designer--not even close. A lot of the stuff the AI image generators produce has a very nauseating, uncanny quality to it that gives away that it was produced by a machine.

Blender has some kind of new denoising AI that makes its renders look better, but I haven't really played with it since I mostly use it for 3D printing and not visuals.

ChatGPT is producing some pretty impressive stuff lately.

Signstein

My wife showed me this one last night. After the first watch, I thought, wow, that's pretty good.
But then you start to see all the weirdness..

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That's really creepy.
Hey JBurton - you need an avatar. I made you one using the Microsoft Bing image creator.

Attachments

• Jburton-Penguin.jpg
    Jburton-Penguin.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 93