• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HEAD STRIKES, HEAD STRIKES, HEAD STRIKES

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We have two, an XR and XJ (roll) but I rarely have an issue with head strikes. I get into trouble with the flat bed sometimes though. It's been known to ruin my day-week. Sorry your having trouble

what media are you printing on? can you raise your head height?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
can you raise your head height?

That's one of the drawbacks of the SP300. Only one head height option. I would clean out the platen so the vacuum can pull as hard as possible and then play around with the heat settings. Too much heat will cause buckling and head strikes as well.

We have two, an XR and XJ (roll) but I rarely have an issue with head strikes. I get into trouble with the flat bed sometimes though. It's been known to ruin my day-week. Sorry your having trouble

what media are you printing on? can you raise your head height?
all media ... how do you raise the head height ? ? ?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Post #5 already said there is only one head height. Like he said, try cleaning it out real good. This time of year and things tend to buckle/tent more than usual causing lotsa head strikes. Things are chilly and need extra time to adapt and flatten out.

signage

That's one of the drawbacks of the SP300. Only one head height option. I would clean out the platen so the vacuum can pull as hard as possible and then play around with the heat settings. Too much heat will cause buckling and head strikes as well.

If you willing to try anything, I would definitely try this.

Good Luck

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Try what Solvent suggested about the vacuum and the heat.
To adjust the head height on the Roland XR-640:
Hit the menu button, then arrow down to "Head Height" . Arrow into that menu, then wait for the carriage to come out. towards the back of the carriage there is a white lever. lift it up. There is only 2 settings: high and low.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
solvent inkjet,
is there a setting to increase the vacuum "pull" ? i believe my sc545-ex has an adjustment in menu or service menu

some of our epsons have adjustment for vacuum as well

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
solvent inkjet,
is there a setting to increase the vacuum "pull" ? i believe my sc545-ex has an adjustment in menu or service menu

some of our epsons have adjustment for vacuum as well

There is although most people are already at 100% most of the time but it's worth looking into. Should just be in the menu under vacuum.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Cold, cheaper media causes headstrikes here, but as long as they are room temperature, they do fine. How do your rollers look? They aren't backwards either are they? The vacuum is very important, so be sure and clean it all out.

asd

if you are printing from versaworks there is an option that lets you control the suction power on the printer. instead of having the printer control the vacuum power, set it up in versaworks

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i have never noticed what the "vacuum pump" is actually comprised of, on my rolands. i have wondered if it is a vane type pump & if flushing with an appropriate solvent would help. i did a brief stint in charge of some packaging mechanics, long ago, so my thinkng goes to that type of solution. lubricant gets thicker, pump gets harder to deal with, and so do certain types of media in cold weather. (remember, your office gets colder at night, when you re not there.) same reason my milk was frozen when i made coffee at the office this morning, even though the heat came up just before we came in

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Likely something comparable to a fan inside your PC. Even on a $200k UV flatbed, they just use a few PC style fans for roll media suction.