• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

heavy laminator to go upstairs problem

ok, i got the new seal el 54" laminator and finally got rid of the diage!! yaaaa! the company proveer took it back, so thanks to all at proveer for an outstanding service as always!
so, i now need to move the laminator up 14 stairs into my office. this thing ways probably 400 lbs so, has anyone any tips on the best way to do this? i know i can get a moving company but they'll probably charge a couple hundred bucks to do it.
figured maybe some of you guys may have come across this situation at some point.

mark in tx

Put it on skids, and use a come-along to winch it up.

Or just get some friends, put beer and pizza upstairs and tell them they can eat and drink when the laminator makes it up there.

Mspec

measure your stairs, purchase enough 2x12 lumber to make a pair of tracks going up the stairs. Screw them to your steps and make them line up with the wheels on the laminator. ( leaving room for your feet in between them ) Get some heavy strapping, run it around one of the sides of the laminator, hook that up to a come-along ( or other winch device ) and find something upstairs to anchor it to. If you dont have a pillar close, you can use a 6x6 timber 48" or wider across a door jamb and that would make a good anchor point.

I would need pictures or a diagram of your sitation to give you any more specific advice, but I've moved heavier stuff with this method...

measure your stairs, purchase enough 2x12 lumber to make a pair of tracks going up the stairs. Screw them to your steps and make them line up with the wheels on the laminator. ( leaving room for your feet in between them ) Get some heavy strapping, run it around one of the sides of the laminator, hook that up to a come-along ( or other winch device ) and find something upstairs to anchor it to. If you dont have a pillar close, you can use a 6x6 timber 48" or wider across a door jamb and that would make a good anchor point.

I would need pictures or a diagram of your sitation to give you any more specific advice, but I've moved heavier stuff with this method...

cool! i had actually thought of this kinda method first, but.......wasn't sure how to do it.
i knew if i had enough wood to run up the stairs i could use that as a track, and i thought of getting a heavy strap and putting it around the laminator, but.......i just wasn't sure of how to get enough leverage/pull power at the top of the stairs.

phototec

Take off casters, use holes in feet to bolt on 2x4 skids to the bottom, bevel the leading edge of the skids, bolt on a cross member, use cross member to pull with a come-a-long up the stairs.

If the stars are susceptible to damage, you can cover the bottom on the skids with carpet scraps or something similar to protect the steps.

Goes up the stairs like a sled!

:thumb:

Attachments

• Seal laminator copy.jpg
    Seal laminator copy.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 80

rcook99

I am with Jhill act like its a piano.

Or the easy way is to put one guy on each end and and carry it up stairs. Sorry for that but moved furniture for a long time and thats what we always told our summer help. LOL Honestly though that is how we moved my 44" canon as well as a single head embroidery machine up and down the stairs. 2 guys hand carried them with no problem.

rcook> yeah, but this is a 400lb machine going up 14 steps. i'm a pretty big guy and i wouldn't want to move it with just one other person!
if something happened, the guy at the back loses his grip or slips on the step, theres no way in hell you would be able to stop a 400lb machine crushing the guy at the back.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
rcook> yeah, but this is a 400lb machine going up 14 steps. i'm a pretty big guy and i wouldn't want to move it with just one other person!
if something happened, the guy at the back loses his grip or slips on the step, theres no way in hell you would be able to stop a 400lb machine crushing the guy at the back.

Too bad...... just up the ante to whiskey and several pizzas. Make the stakes higher.

It always amazes me at a party or whatever the function..... how all of the beer drinkers become whiskey drinkers.... as soon as it's free...... :toasting:

Typestries

whatever you do, DONT turn it on it's side/end. Use the wheel points only as weight bearing points. Otherwise, You will rack it, and it will never lam right, ever again.

Sticky Signs

Got mine up about 12 stairs with 3 guys. 2 holding the lam and one guy behind the back guy just in case.
You could probably remove the stand to make things a little easier. Either way, i suggest having the machine calibrated once it gets to it's new home.

Sticky Signs

Well if I was Rush, I'd cut a whole in the roof and hire a helicopter to hoist it down. But then again, I don't have Rush's back account either.
Looks like beer and pizza will have to do.

CentralSigns

Put a tiedown into the step and use a ratchet come along to pull it up. Use a pick-up and pull up stairs with rope. Let us see the steps and so we know what is involved. Give us whiskey and we give more ideas.